Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 43 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby now more popular than football AND GAA?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    I heard and interview with Sir Clive Woodward where he was asked why rugby players were so much more respectful towards match officials than footballers. He said that the only reason was because they wouldn't get away with it. If players were penalised in football like they were in rugby for abusing the ref, we wouldn't have the problems we do today.

I'd bring in a league rule at the beginning of the season, and publicise it so everyone is clear that if they abuse the ref, it's a straight red card, and a week's wages to charity. Then we'd see how quickly Wayne Rooney would open his mouth to protest that throw-in.
    I'd say a big part of the respect for refs issue in rugby has got to do with the fact that refs have microphones, so every protestation by a player can be heard on tv.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Its not hard to belief theres just a stronger culture of respect amongst Rugby players than soccer players. Its apparent in all facets, fans are less abrasive with less booing of national anthems (some exceptions such as Quade Cooper), virtually zero riots among crowds or missiles thrown on pitches. Players respect each other more, generally the losing team will form a line saluting the victorious team and its commonplace in the six nations for teams to have a meal with one another post-game too. Very little bad blood from a game is carried off the pitch. With refs theres very little questioning their authority allowed on the pitch, theres the odd Luke Fitzgerald moment that alludes to soccer practice but generally players don't crowd out a ref, don't demand things with the ref and manager typically won't criticise a ref after a game. That last part has happened more than usual in this Wold Cup with all of Samoa, South Africa and Wales having complaints but that is relatively unusual for the sport. 3 out of 52 games supposedly impacted by refereeing would be a remarkably low number in a soccer world cup. I remember we had two on the same "day" last time with Germany/England and Argentina/Mexico.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    You do realise there is a class thing with this as well?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    theres the odd Luke Fitzgerald moment that alludes to soccer practice
    How on earth does sticking your fingers in somebody's eye socket "allude to soccer practice"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Rugby is far more civilised in terms of support but the passion is also alot less intense from a supporter in my opinion. Especially in this country. Theres a good core of soccer fans, probably alot of people in here would be just that. The type who follows come rain or shine. Unfortunately in ireland we have alot of fans who flit between things that attract attention and perceived success. I know so many folks who were soccer through and through (albeit they don't even know the LOI exists) but when our star fades they turn straight to rugby and almost instantaneously they are experts in all things rugby.

Its a cycle really, if we qualify for the euros you will see the same mugs (who barely watched us in the qualifying campaign) lapping up the occasion and playing the armchair pundit to perfection once again.

I love to see the rugby lads do well, but as one previous poster said there is a class thing aswell. Rugby in Ireland is more accessible to the average person but its still followed by the elite more so. It also has noticeable ties with business, a bit like golf in the states. I've seen countless people who know nothing about the game swat up on it so they can brown nose their boss (who also has no idea about the game really but likes to sound knowledgable). Its attracted alot of folk who are not particularly passionate about sport, but its now popular enough to make them believe that they are in the social loop that comes with it. Thats not to say there isn't a hardcore following in place aswell, just like us in the football. But in Ireland as the old cliche goes, we have alot of bandwagon jumpers who just want to be entertained. Punters. Who will move onto the next fad when the thrill of being associated with a winner fades.

The funny thing that struck me about rugby was the amount of women I heard having an opinion on it. Now im not being sexist, women can love their sport too. But ye know the type of women i'm talking about. The women who would usually watch paint dry before they watch sport. Alot of them watch it because they fancy one of the players or else its something they want to get involved in when all the gang are down the pub talking about it over their bacardi's and coke.

Its fashionable right now whereas the football is not. In ireland anyways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Strongbow10 View Post
    Rugby is far more civilised in terms of support but the passion is also alot less intense from a supporter in my opinion. Especially in this country.
    you've obviously never been to Thomond park for a heneken cup or leinster match. The passion, support and colour puts any football occasion in this country to shame

7. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Leinster does none of that - there's a chant of "Leinster, Leinster" every now and again, and people wave branded flags they just bought in the shop. Fair dues to them for doing it and all, but the notion it puts any football occasion to shame is nonsense. The FAI Cup Final last year, for example - way more passion, support and colour. Ditto Rovers' European ties (ok, the Spurs game wasn't in this country, but I still think it's relevant) or even the singing section in Lansdowne Road for competitive games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    you've obviously never been to Thomond park for a heneken cup or leinster match. The passion, support and colour puts any football occasion in this country to shame
    i'm talking in an international sense.

Out of interest, what were crowds like for Leinster matches say maybe 7-8 years ago? Not hectic i'd imagine.

Club rugby in ireland is on its arse. My own hometown side play top flight AIL rugby and they dont get 100 fans.

I hate to sound cynical, I just know of so many "passionate on the surface" rugby fans who see their following as a way of suburban life and status. A relative of mine recently got married and she was an avid Man Utd fan. The last 2 years its been thrown to the wayside in favour of going to all the Leinster games with her colleagues and hubby (who has absolutely zero interest in sport) and they are all proud members of "the leinster faithful" as they call it. And there are hundreds if not thousands just like this.

Its a mere passing interest. Its a good representation of us irish as sports fans. Looking for the next fix.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    7 or 8 years ago Leinster would more or less fill Donnybrook. Now they more or less fill the RDS, which is maybe 5 times the size?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Leinster does none of that - there's a chant of "Leinster, Leinster" every now and again, and people wave branded flags they just bought in the shop. Fair dues to them for doing it and all, but the notion it puts any football occasion to shame is nonsense. The FAI Cup Final last year, for example - way more passion, support and colour. Ditto Rovers' European ties (ok, the Spurs game wasn't in this country, but I still think it's relevant) or even the singing section in Lansdowne Road for competitive games.
    it was weak before but has much improved. was at the 1/4 final of hein cup this year and it was the loudest the new stadium has been to date by far. you can only compare like for like and that 1/4 final was a sell out, a sea of blue and noise deafening. if the FAI cup final (only saw on tv) was better than that then id be delighted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I hate this thread yet i find myself strangely drawn to it everytime it rears its ugly head near the top of page 1,
    "Rugby now more popular than football and gaa".... what a statement!! my brother who was in a band wearing skinny
    jeans throughout the nineties and a good proportion of the naughties knew less about sport then my cat 'fluffy'
    but now he is (and his likeminded mates) the world authority on rugby!! and that says it all for me really,
    Rugby is a sport designed for basically people who are sh$t at sport and/or who have no genuine interest in sport,
    the game revolves around how fast you can run into someone while holding a large leather egg...................

gob****es are drawn to it for purely social status reasons and something to scoff about with their boss in the canteen at work.
    It's all part of the whole bandwagon get on the property ladder, get on the paul o'connell love bus, sheep attitude that draws the
    unwanted and they'll be climbing on board our bandwagon come qualification if estonia do the right thing.

Rugby is played in the elitist schools and it's now high fashion to support the meatheads and why we are having this debate on
    a football website sickens me.

Rant Over. Get rid of this thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Rugby is a sport designed for basically people who are sh$t at sport and/or who have no genuine interest in sport,
    I don't think that's the case anywhere but Ireland really and only then because of the recent surge in popularity. They take their rugby seriously in the strongholds in France, England and Wales (and even in Ulster). The unprecedented success of Munster and Leinster has attracted the Johnny come latelys.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eighties mullet View Post
    the game revolves around how fast you can run into someone while holding a large leather egg...................
    I would say thats cricket

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Trying to get this thread back towrds sensible debate! I think rugby has a better product to offer the punter right now in Ireland. It has 2 teams that can challenge for the Champs League equivalent and the national team only competes against other good teams.

The quick selling out of the Estonia game proved nearly all our beliefs that once some interesting context is added, the football support is there. Call it bandwagoning or whatever, but it's there.

You also have to look at these things in the context of what marketers call the product life cycle. Releasing a sport's latent popularity is the easy part. Keeping it there and adapting it over time is harder.Professional rugby is still in its relative infancy and has room to further develop. However, the sports needs international rugby to pay the bills and may well find - as Stephen Jones of The Sunday Times believes - that the product gets over exploited after a while. A bit like cricket. I'd say that Ireland is relatively unique in its ability to control the club v country conflict that arises by necessity in other regions.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Trying to get this thread back towrds sensible debate! I think rugby has a better product to offer the punter right now in Ireland. It has 2 teams that can challenge for the Champs League equivalent and the national team only competes against other good teams.

The quick selling out of the Estonia game proved nearly all our beliefs that once some interesting context is added, the football support is there. Call it bandwagoning or whatever, but it's there.

You also have to look at these things in the context of what marketers call the product life cycle. Releasing a sport's latent popularity is the easy part. Keeping it there and adapting it over time is harder.Professional rugby is still in its relative infancy and has room to further develop. However, the sports needs international rugby to pay the bills and may well find - as Stephen Jones of The Sunday Times believes - that the product gets over exploited after a while. A bit like cricket. I'd say that Ireland is relatively unique in its ability to control the club v country conflict that arises by necessity in other regions.
    And thats it in a nutshell. The general irish "fan" wishes to be entertained. A small minority are passionate out of love for their team/game, but the majority just want a quick feel good factor that comes with a winning side, and the night out the comes with it. That is Ireland.

Punters is the perfect word.

What drives me mad is the gobs*tes from Galway and the like swanning around in their Leinster/Munster jerseys. I know some folks who have been seen in both in the last 3-4 years.

Now people may counter argue that applies to the galway man wearing a Liverpool or Man Utd jersey. But Rugby is without doubt the fashion right now in Ireland.

Take a look a Kieran Cunningham's piece in the Star today. He tears the RWC to shreds. He says only in Ireland will a 3rd rate provincial prop be feted as a legend.

People bang on about how great an achievement it is to have such success on a European Level, but lets see how successful irish club rugby would be with the likes of Garryowen, Buccaneers and St.Marys representing the country in the "Heino Cup".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Strongbow10 View Post
    And thats it in a nutshell.
    What drives me mad is the gobs*tes from Galway and the like swanning around in their Leinster/Munster jerseys. I know some folks who have been seen in both in the last 3-4 years.
    And there is plenty of them... But now that Connacht have made it into the HCup those jerseys are slowly being replaced.
    I expect the Munster jerseys to be back out in force come April when Connacht fail to win a game in the pool stages

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Anyone see the Sky Sports News reaction to Man United's drubbing by the Sovereign Wealth Fund? They interviewed a bunch of United fans, in separate groups, to get their reactions. All the fans, except for one, were Irish (including NI)!

I've said all along that Man United are more popular in Ireland than any rugby province. This proved nothing of course, but I couldn't help note it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    More popular perhaps. Better supported I doubt. On the basis of what I saw today Rochdale are better supported. I doubt they could've cleared OT that fast for a fire drill.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Anyone see the Sky Sports News reaction to Man United's drubbing by the Sovereign Wealth Fund? They interviewed a bunch of United fans, in separate groups, to get their reactions. All the fans, except for one, were Irish (including NI)!

I've said all along that Man United are more popular in Ireland than any rugby province. This proved nothing of course, but I couldn't help note it.
    Its such a shame when you consider the amounts Irish people spend supporting uk clubs, if that money was instead spent supporting Irish clubs, you can just imagine how stronger our own league would be.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts

Page 43 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast