Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
They shouldn't be budgeting on cup income bar the first game in the first place. That doesn't excuse them and make the system ludicrous, it makes bohs budget ludicrous.
Bohs budget may or may not be ludicrous - I previously acknowledged they may not have been too sensible. Having said that, it looks like they have managed to stay within the 65%, in which case their budget can't have been that bad.

Either way, it doesn't change the fact that having a salary cap based on a percentage of future turnover is ludicrous. No-one can seriously expect clubs to be able predict future income accurately. The revenue of the company that I work for (a very large multinational company) looks like being about 30% below budget this year. Many other large companies have got it even more wrong in recent times. Do you seriously believe the average EL club can be expected to be better at budgeting that some of the biggest corporate entities in the world?

Anyway, leaving the above aside, my other point is that if a club gets the prediction of their future revenue wrong by relatively small margin, it's nonsense to say they've "cheated". When a striker starts a run slightly too early and gets caught offside, he's broken the rules, but we don't say he's a cheat, do we?

If the salary cap is set in such a way that clubs know what it is, and then knowingly breach it, that would be cheating. As things stand though, a breach of the salary cap is more likely to indicate incompetence than cheating.