Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: DCFC fans do you consider yourselves hard done by?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    You are wrong.

1) It wasn't the IFA that stopped them playing there, it was the league which was not run by the IFA at the time.
    2) The IFA and the security forces both agreed it was safe for them to return to the Brandy, again the clubs and the league ignored the professionals advice and refused.

They may not have kicked them out but they didnt leave them with much of a choice.

A comparable situation in a workplace would be called constructive dismissal.
    i posted mainly as some people seem to have it in their heads that the ifa kicked derry city out.
    the fai DID kick derry city out, but the ifa, on the other hand, did not.

fair point on 1), even if a lot of written sources on the situation also fail to make that same distinction.

i never mentioned 2) so couldn't have been wrong on it. (knew it but forgot to mention it tbh)
    when was the security all clear given by the way? i thought it was some time later (as in years after their initial ban on using the brandywell).
    did derry city only played 10 games away from the brandywell before withdrawing of their own accord?
    Last edited by -lamb-; 14/11/2009 at 6:21 PM.
    Larne FC for Larne Town. Inver Park for the people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by -lamb- View Post
    fair point on 1), even if a lot of written sources on the situation also fail to make that same distinction.
    i never mentioned 2) so couldn't have been wrong on it. (forgot to mention it tbh)
    "They may not have kicked them out" and that's why i posted, as some seem to have it in their head that they were. they weren't.
    Semantics!

It matters little if they kicked them, pushed them or looked the other way while someone else did the dirty work.

By their action, or inaction, they failed Derry City, and football in Northern Ireland. They left themselves open to accusations. While for others it merely confirmed their suspicions of the organisation.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    don't disagree, some of the il clubs/ifa ballsed up by their actions and refused for way longer than any security worries justified. it wasn't perfect in the mid 80s either but it was a damn sight better than the early 70s.
    isn't that shown by portadown, c'ville, bangor and ballymena all backing derry city, with glentoran's then chairman backing their loi application as he realised it had gone on too long as well?
    it's unfair to tar the whole of the il or even the whole of the ifa as wanting derry city gone. it simply was never the case.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    i posted mainly as some people seem to have it in their heads that the ifa kicked derry city out.
    the fai DID kick derry city out, but the ifa, on the other hand, did not.

i never mentioned 2) so couldn't have been wrong on it. (knew it but forgot to mention it tbh)
    when was the security all clear given by the way? i thought it was some time later (as in years after their initial ban on using the brandywell).
    did derry city only played 10 games away from the brandywell before withdrawing of their own accord?
    I believe after Derry City were kicked out of the Brandywell that they played a few home games in Coleraine....
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    don't disagree, some of the il clubs/ifa ballsed up by their actions and refused for way longer than any security worries justified.
    Way longer? The RUC gave the go ahead to return for the following season.

Lamb, if you ever get your hands on the correspondence between the IFA and DCFC in the early eighties they did everything in their power to make it impossible for the club. (And before you ask Mr P, now I won't send you a copy of it)
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MariborKev View Post
    Way longer? The RUC gave the go ahead to return for the following season.
    had an idea it was within a few years but wasn't 100% on it.
    i can still understand the other teams' wariness back then though, but not some clubs' attitudes into the mid 80s.
    as for the ifa....i would suggest powerful members rather than the organisation as a whole, and i have a feeling you may agree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    as for the ifa....i would suggest powerful members rather than the organisation as a whole, and i have a feeling you may agree.
    Be that as it may, if the correspondence is coming from the representative of the organisation, that has to be taken as the stated position.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456