Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Galway, Mervue and Salthill discussion

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The planning notice for the mervue grounds went up only in july (half way through the season) with up until the end of August for any of the locals to oppose the works, so, nothing could be done anyway until the end of these dates. It is widely known that mervue gave such short dates at the start of the season so to get low rent payments to play in terryland as to the one that GUFC have to pay.

FAO PADDYFIELD:

I havent seen the planning permission myself for the drom, it was players and staff that told me of the developments.
    Planning submissions are open to the public, so you should be able to see the planning permission and any drawings if you know the applicant name or address etc. if you check on Galway CoCo planning section or on the City council website, which ever is relevant.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The situation is ridiculous. Mervue should not have been allowed into the League and neither should Salthill Devon for that part. The main focus of the League of Ireland has to be increasing attendances from which increased gate receipts and sponsorship can be gleaned and money generated to improve facilities and playing staffs.

While I am on the point Kildare County (who I understand have now folded), UCD, Monaghan United and Sporting Fingal offer nothing and should also be removed. There are far too many senior clubs in Ireland as it is without allowing another one to join the ranks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    While I am on the point Kildare County (who I understand have now folded), UCD, Monaghan United and Sporting Fingal offer nothing and should also be removed. There are far too many senior clubs in Ireland as it is without allowing another one to join the ranks.
    Monaghan Utd seem to be a well run and self sustained club. The could show other clubs how to live within their means. When they played in the Premier Division in the 90's, they had big home crowds and brought a large traveling support to away games. I recall them bringing a few hundred to Galway on more than one occasion.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyfield View Post
    Monaghan Utd seem to be a well run and self sustained club. The could show other clubs how to live within their means. When they played in the Premier Division in the 90's, they had big home crowds and brought a large traveling support to away games. I recall them bringing a few hundred to Galway on more than one occasion.

Monaghan are very well run but they have a tiny fanbase and they were a novelty back in the 90's and punched well above their weight for 2 seasons under Billy Bagster.

If salthill take up the offer of a first division spot the FAI will single handedly destroy loi soccer in Galway. Galway United have a huge debt and are being propped up by Directors loans,Mervue have struggled to get crowds in excess of 120 and putting a third clun=b in Galway is lunacy and anyone that thinks otherwise is living in cloud cuckoo land. There is barely the support for 1 team in Galway let alone 3.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Salthill received there planning permission to build a stand in the drom a while back and they plan to have one up to first division standards at some stage next season.
    That's what Mervue "planned".

Don't have a stand and probably never will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    I can't understand this. Monaghan Utd are one of the best run clubs in the country. They are investing their money in infrastructure, youth set-ups and facilities instead of wasting it on players like many other clubs have foolishly done.

And besides, have you clubs at the ready to jump in and take the places of these clubs who supposedly offer 'nothing'?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufc2000 View Post
    I can't understand this. Monaghan Utd are one of the best run clubs in the country. They are investing their money in infrastructure, youth set-ups and facilities instead of wasting it on players like many other clubs have foolishly done.

And besides, have you clubs at the ready to jump in and take the places of these clubs who supposedly offer 'nothing'?
    No I don't and that is exactly the outcome which I would endeavour to achieve. There are too many senior clubs in Ireland as it stands. The population of the Republic of Ireland is around 4 million and soccer is clearly not the most popular spectator sport therefore it simply can't support 22 senior clubs.

As for Monaghan United, who have had a reasonably good season by their standards, I stand over my belief that they should be removed from the league. I attended a game on a Tuesday night against my club Finn Harps, who were in the process of having a generally miserable season on the field, at Kingspan Century Park and it was noteworthy that there were still more away fans than home ones in what was an atrocious attendance. It is irrelevant if they have all the infrastructure imaginable if there is simply no support and no interest among their local community.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    That's what Mervue "planned".

Don't have a stand and probably never will.
    What? the way salthill have gone about it is completely different than the way mervue did, and it is going ahead if you read mervues website. They are only getting past the locals complaints now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Was there not some oddness a few years ago whereby there was some kind of odd "merger" between Salthill and Galway Utd? I seem to recall something in some newspaper speaking of Salthill actually in some strange legal way "owning" GUFC.

Before the bile at my ignorance is spewed, I ask this only for information - I recall something dimmly about it, but I reckoned folk on here would know the actual details.
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    What's the odds on Salthill not getting a FD Licence?

The reason I ask is because I reckon the FAI will cut the FD back to ten teams, and Derry City will start next season in the 'A' league.
    Up the Harps!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Salthill yet to make decision on First Division participation:

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/2770/

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Salthill & the First Division

Salthill have applied for a FD licence, and assuming they get approved, will be in the FD next season.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by number16 View Post
    Salthill have applied for a FD licence, and assuming they get approved, will be in the FD next season.
    ya but where will they play ,dont think drum will meet standards and terryland is over used allready with galway united and mervue plus the 54 clubs in the galway league using it, cant see local clubs giving up their finals to allow salthill play there as well.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitd View Post
    ya but where will they play ,dont think drum will meet standards and terryland is over used allready with galway united and mervue plus the 54 clubs in the galway league using it, cant see local clubs giving up their finals to allow salthill play there as well.

Plus, there isn't a hope in hell of the FAI allowing three clubs to use the one ground.
    Up the Harps!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Which is why in an earlier post I expressed concern that United could be the ones to lose out, as I would imagine Mervue and Salthill would have part ownership of Terryland through the GDL
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    It's absolutly ridiculous having 3 clubs from a city of 70,000 people.

Having said that, they played fair and got here fairly, so who are we to stop them.
    Would make far more sense to have say Tralee or Tullamore come into the 1st Div.
    *sigh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Whats with the monaghan bashing? If ye were gona put clubs out of the league cos of their low support, there'd be nobody left in the league.

Monaghan are a very well run club - have a great wee set up there. they've more right to be in league than most other clubs as they play by the rules. Fair play to them, if only more clubs were run aswel as them (bar the poor crowds obviously!!)
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

Formerly skibbereen co.cork but now Oregon USA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I would have liked to have seen Salthill vs Mervue in a playoff and have 2 ten team leagues. Derry can start out in the A Championship.
    west cork district league
    west cork commandos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Mr Delaney was in Galway over the weekend stating that it would be bad for the city if salthill were to join the league, but, tony johnstone of salthill says that they "have the grounds and the player pool, to be successful in the first division".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Funny seeing some Galway fans saying they shouldn't be allowed in the league due to off field issues.

Will they ever believe in promotion due to on field performance?

Oh, and long live Monaghan (and all other clubs trying to do the right thing)!
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast