Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clubs who are not in trouble (for a change)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Hm. You and shep seem to be disagreeing, and shep's agreeing with your previous post... I'm all confused.

Anyways, think we're agreeing it was a bit of both?
    Dundalk fans have said a number of times that their wage bill hasn't increased enormously this year. I seem to recall figures like €8k last year and €10-12k this year (I'm open to correction here). Obviously, that increase is a good chunk of their loss for the season, but promotion should have seen their income go up. That it hasn't says more about the relative drops in income (league-wide, I believe) than an over-ambitious wage budget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Hm. You and shep seem to be disagreeing, and shep's agreeing with your previous post... I'm all confused.

Anyways, think we're agreeing it was a bit of both?
    I agree...no wait i disagree...by the way Stu and all the U.C.D lads,congrats,lookin forward to Dundalk playin our 1st game at "the bowl"
    Only another 9 titles till Drogheda become pride of county louth!!!

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Dundalk fans have said a number of times that their wage bill hasn't increased enormously this year. I seem to recall figures like €8k last year and €10-12k this year (I'm open to correction here). Obviously, that increase is a good chunk of their loss for the season, but promotion should have seen their income go up. That it hasn't says more about the relative drops in income (league-wide, I believe) than an over-ambitious wage budget.
    I can't recall with certainty the figures for 2008, but it is probably a fair stab that the wage bill has increased for 2009 in the region of €1.5 to €2k a week. So clearly, that additional €60k - €80k is a big chunk of the €200k deficit this season. The other big issues were €195k drop in sponsorships, and the enforced €50k cost of replacing the pitch, apart althogether from the cancellation of Barcelona and unsuccessfull Atletico friendlies.

It is resonable to expect any board to be prudent and sensible with their projections and spending, and to apply a balance between this and sporting ambition (in this case to consolidate in the premier division). In hindsight, it would have required a player budget reduction of €5k a week to breakeven - and most probably have made an instant return to the graveyard division. No thanks, we will pay our debts, re-group and move on!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Dundalk fans have said a number of times that their wage bill hasn't increased enormously this year. I seem to recall figures like €8k last year and €10-12k this year (I'm open to correction here). Obviously, that increase is a good chunk of their loss for the season
    True (and I wasn't one of those getting digs in at Dundalk at the start of the season). I was working off very rough maths though. Crowds up by 1000 -20 games and a tenner a pop is E200k extra gate receipts. Prize money probably down E50k (cos they won the First last year). Loss of E200k compared to breakeven last year per the CEO. This leaves a shortfall on last year somewhere of E350k. If that's all (or mainly) down to fundraising, then they must have had a damned good fundraising department last year.

If we assume the wages are up from E8k to E11k, then you've E3k a week @ 36 weeks = E100k, but you've also to factor in 52 week contracts this year (full-time), which'd add on an extra E176k.

As I say, that's just me doing rough maths just to back up my initial post.

Quote Originally Posted by shep View Post
    I agree...no wait i disagree...by the way Stu and all the U.C.D lads,congrats,lookin forward to Dundalk playin our 1st game at "the bowl"
    If youz lot start singing "We all went to Trinity", you'll be removed!!!

Edit - Ezeikal posted in the meantime. Sponsorship was E195k down on last year? That's a lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    True (and I wasn't one of those getting digs in at Dundalk at the start of the season). I was working off very rough maths though. Crowds up by 1000 -20 games and a tenner a pop is E200k extra gate receipts. Prize money probably down E50k (cos they won the First last year). Loss of E200k compared to breakeven last year per the CEO. This leaves a shortfall on last year somewhere of E350k. If that's all (or mainly) down to fundraising, then they must have had a damned good fundraising department last year.

If we assume the wages are up from E8k to E11k, then you've E3k a week @ 36 weeks = E100k, but you've also to factor in 52 week contracts this year (full-time), which'd add on an extra E176k.

As I say, that's just me doing rough maths just to back up my initial post.

If youz lot start singing "We all went to Trinity", you'll be removed!!!

Edit - Ezeikal posted in the meantime. Sponsorship was E195k down on last year? That's a lot.
    dundalk are a credit to the league.
    their only downfall is that plastic pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by roinuj View Post
    dundalk are a credit to the league.
    their only downfall is that plastic pitch.
    signing players and a couple of weeks later making them take pay cuts they sure are a credit to the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by forza rovers View Post
    signing players and a couple of weeks later making them take pay cuts they sure are a credit to the league.
    Month and a half later!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    We are a credit to the league.....somehow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddickcule View Post
    We are a credit to the league.....somehow