Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: O'Neil accused of tapping up Dundalk players by Connor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

O'Neil accused of tapping up Dundalk players by Connor

Sean Connor complaining about Shamrock Rovers boss tapping up his players ,

Not saying it's not true probably is but i find it very ironic that Connor's is complaining about somebody else doing it. Remember that this is coming from a man who when he went to Bohs and tapped up or tried to tap up so many of our players and other club's players through out the league not too long ago. He was accused of tapping up Philly Hughes from his current employers Dundalk i believe. And i believe tried the same with Seamie Coleman (although he says he went to the airport just to wish Coleman good luck on his under 21 match, he tried it with Faz and above all the very same player Chris Turner.

Shamrock Rovers manager Michael O'Neill last night reacted angrily to accusations from Sean Connor that the Hoops have been 'tapping up' Dundalk players.

In his programme notes for Friday night's clash between the two teams, Connor wrote: "It's no secret that Shamrock Rovers have been sniffing around one or two of our players."

And afterwards, he claimed that the Hoops had been "phoning my players on a regular basis and asking them if they want to join Shamrock Rovers".

Former Northern Ireland U-21 international Chris Turner is among the Dundalk players rumoured to be on Rovers' wishlist.

O'Neill denied the charges, labelling them as "petty," and criticised the way in which Connor went about expressing his displeasure.

"I had a 20-minute conversation with Sean before Friday's game and I would have expected that, if he had any grievances, he would have raised them with me then.

"I'm surprised he chose to make his point to the media without saying it to me."

O'Neill added: "I've been contacted by numerous agents and third parties recently with regards to many players from different clubs.

"Obviously players see what's happening at Rovers and see that they get paid what's on their contract, which is not the case at a lot of other clubs.

"If clubs are not honouring players' contracts, or if players are having to take pay cuts, then obviously they'll become unsettled and they'll be looking at what to do about their futures."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-1924339.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Just Sean Connor trying to deflect from a recent dip in form you'd imagine, after his programme notes earlier in the season, can't take anything he says seriously.
    Lets redefine what it means to heal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Connor should be looking North, not South......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    Connor should be looking North, not South......
    D'y'mean like O'Neill is?
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    The 'tapping up' phrase belongs to the journalist not Sean Connor.

He did say that
    "It's no secret that Shamrock Rovers have been sniffing around one or two of our players."

that they had been "phoning my players on a regular basis and asking them if they want to join Shamrock Rovers".

Michael O'Neill appears to have denied that Rovers were "tapping up" or had made any direct approaches.

It's a pity the journalist didn't ask O'Neill what "tapping up" meant to him, or if Rovers had made approaches through 3rd parties (or through anyone connected to Rovers acting in a "private capacity").

It is a fact that several approaches have been made to both Chris Turner and Michael McGowan.

These players are out of contract in a fortnight, so it is hardly a big deal either way to follow the right procedures. Is any rule being broken to make approaches to a player whose contract is due to expire soon?
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 26/10/2009 at 1:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    It is a fact that several approaches have been made to both Chris Turner and Michael McGowan.
    Facts can be proven with evidence, can you prove with evidence that several approaches have been made to both Chris Turner and Michael McGowan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFShels View Post
    Facts can be proven with evidence, can you prove with evidence that several approaches have been made to both Chris Turner and Michael McGowan?
    Perhaps I should re-phrase what I said. Both Chris Turner and Michael McGowan have said that they have received approaches. I believe this to be true, but accept that there is a possibility that it is a negotiation ploy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Perhaps I should re-phrase what I said. Both Chris Turner and Michael McGowan have said that they have received approaches. I believe this to be true, but accept that there is a possibility that it is a negotiation ploy.
    Fair enough, would they not be dying to join Rovers though?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFShels View Post
    Fair enough, would they not be dying to join Rovers though?
    Time will tell.

Chris Turner is on record as saying that he wants to stay with Dundalk next season - but the respective contract offers will naturally play a significant part in that decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Tapping up a player is very difficult to prove, it's just one of those things that happens, annoying when it is affecting your players. It's probably impossible to stop as well.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

These players are out of contract in a fortnight, so it is hardly a big deal either way to follow the right procedures. Is any rule being broken to make approaches to a player whose contract is due to expire soon?
    Nope, clubs are free to talk to players once there is less than 6 months remaining on their contracts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    Nope, clubs are free to talk to players once there is less than 6 months remaining on their contracts.
    That being the case, and assuming that they don't need the current clubs permission, this is a non-story.

No "tapping up" by Rovers, no such accusations by Connor, just a statement in the programme "that Shamrock Rovers have been sniffing around one or two of our players" and a clarification of that in a follow up question from the journalist post-match.

Why then would O'Neill have "reacted angrily" ?

Sounds to me like another bit of media manipulation and O'Neill acting the maggot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I might be wrong, but it's my understanding that once a player is in the final six months of his contract, people are free to talk to him about options post contract?

Edit: Should have read the whole thread before replying, DDD got there three hours ago.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    There is no story here.

Connor did not allege that Rovers were "tapping" up his players. Any contact by Rovers was perfectly within the rules.

A journalist creates a sensationalist story and O'Neill foolishly swallows the bait.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    Clubs can talk to players in the last 6 months of their contract, but I think they have to inform their current club.

Anyway, I'm sure it's nothing they couldn't sort out over dinner.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Clubs can talk to players in the last 6 months of their contract, but I think they have to inform their current club.

Anyway, I'm sure it's nothing they couldn't sort out over dinner.
    You sir, are witty.