Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mns 19/10/09

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    The Galway United player needs to be fined retrospectively for unsporting behaviour.
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    His arm was by his side and he really tried to block the ball with his chest. There was no intent to handle the ball.
    I'd agree about intent, but he did lean over (trying to get his chest in line with the ball) and it did hit his arm, so, I'd say that's a free, and consequently a red.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I'd agree about intent, but he did lean over (trying to get his chest in line with the ball) and it did hit his arm, so, I'd say that's a free, and consequently a red.
    It did hit his arm and was a penalty. However, as far I am aware, there must be intent for a red card to be given.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    It did hit his arm and was a penalty. However, as far I am aware, there must be intent for a red card to be given.
    I thought denying a goal scoring opportunity warranted a red? and whether there was intent or not the ball was heading for the back of the net.

Delaneys red on the other hand was laughable, a red card when there was no contact at all.
    Last edited by razor; 20/10/2009 at 8:08 AM.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    anyone know who it was that sent off danny murphy against bray the other week? hit his hand on the line but didnt mean it at all, and got sent off. turner leaned towards the ball when you see it in slow motion and it hit his hand so i think its a red tbh. he tried to chest it away, he didnt, it hit his arm. surely no complaints from dundalk about 1 or 3. dont think theres much room for complaint on the turner one either.

connor is some idiot. if he cant see that there all red cards he shouldnt be in football. looking for the limelight again asking the players to come off. blatant handball at the end aswell. the referee bottled it for the last 20 minutes, gave dundalk everything to try and even it up a bit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by showgies View Post
    Perhaps, but I'm sure the red card was for hopping the ball off his head.

The camera man did well to capture both instances, MNS cameramen usually miss the key talking points.
    Really? I assume you've seen every last bit of footage from every game. Christ almighty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CF1989 View Post
    anyone know who it was that sent off danny murphy against bray the other week? hit his hand on the line but didnt mean it at all, and got sent off. turner leaned towards the ball when you see it in slow motion and it hit his hand so i think its a red tbh. he tried to chest it away, he didnt, it hit his arm. surely no complaints from dundalk about 1 or 3. dont think theres much room for complaint on the turner one either.
    Regardless of intention, I think they are both red cards.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CameramanConka View Post
    Really? I assume you've seen every last bit of footage from every game. Christ almighty.
    You are very defensive about some pretty pathetic camera work at times.

Your continual negative comments about anything sligo rovers are getting boring at this stage(see your previous 6 foot.ie comments).Worry about your own team and we will look after ourselves

3 red cards justified , if ref gave pen for ventres handball , then the penalty at the end should without doubt have been given.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligored View Post
    You are very defensive about some pretty pathetic camera work at times.

Your continual negative comments about anything sligo rovers are getting boring at this stage(see your previous 6 foot.ie comments).Worry about your own team and we will look after ourselves

3 red cards justified , if ref gave pen for ventres handball , then the penalty at the end should without doubt have been given.
    6 posts. SIX? Jesus, I should be shot.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CameramanConka View Post
    6 posts. SIX? Jesus, I should be shot.
    Just don't ask one of your camera man colleagues to do it, they'd only miss

Sorry.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Was waiting on that!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Lads, one of the 7 sending off offences in law 12 is "denying the opposing team a goal or obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball". The red card in the Dundalk match was spot on as was the red card in the Bray match the previous week. The players sent off where both standing on the goal-line so therefore denyed the opposing team a goal by handling the ball. In both games it was the same referee and he gave the correct decisions.
    As for Sean Connor he hasn't got a clue! All the reds card were correct decisions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugout View Post
    Lads, one of the 7 sending off offences in law 12 is "denying the opposing team a goal or obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball". The red card in the Dundalk match was spot on as was the red card in the Bray match the previous week. The players sent off where both standing on the goal-line so therefore denyed the opposing team a goal by handling the ball. In both games it was the same referee and he gave the correct decisions.
    As for Sean Connor he hasn't got a clue! All the reds card were correct decisions.
    The ket word in the rule is deliberately. That's what's being debated.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    He moved towards the ball and stopped it with his arm. If it had just hit him I could see room for debate, but the way it happened it looked an obvious red card.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I think by giving a penalty he has to deem it deliberate, you cant give a free(penalty) for accidental hand ball.

Generally a free will be given if it hits a players hand even though he has had sufficient time to prevent it from doing so, even if he doesnt stick his hand out. Doesnt matter in this case though because he moved his arm towards the ball. Other two sendings off were definite reds. Did Dundalk seriously think of going off the pitch at one stage ffs.

The bad thing about it was that these antics worked out for them because the cross that was handled was a stonewall penalty, and the ref obviously didnt give it because of the pressure he was under(im not condoning the decision though).

Sligo must really be kicking themselves they didnt win the game, what were they doing for 22 minutes.?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    He moved towards the ball and stopped it with his arm. If it had just hit him I could see room for debate, but the way it happened it looked an obvious red card.
    The way I saw it was that he tried to block the ball with his chest. He kept his arm as far away as possible. Despite his best efforts it hit the top of his arm. This blocked a goal and Sligo deserved a penalty. However, the sending off was harsh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Have just watched it on the Skybox.

Did anyone else not find it disconcerting that Rico, one of the main commentators on football on this island, didn't realise until very recently that the eighth placed team went into the play-off. And even then, their subsequent discussion got it wrong as they talked about it as a home-and-away event (i know the Prem v First one is), when their is a benefit to finishing eighth as the club has home advantage in a one-off event.

All Dundalk sending-offs, in isolation, looked correct. Considering the peno award in the first half when Ventre was no more than a couple of feet away and had no time to react to move his hand out of the way, the late one could have been given. Fair assumption to think Connolly was acting in the interests of his own safety. Or he didn't see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaillimh Al View Post
    Did anyone else not find it disconcerting that Rico, one of the main commentators on football on this island, didn't realise until very recently that the eighth placed team went into the play-off.
    That was funny, especially when, within less than a minute, he called it unprofessional. Pot calling the kettle black.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    What I didn't undrstand was why Richardson feels it is 'unfair' to have the playoff between the teams at the bottom of the premier division - he said they should be judged over the course of a season, and it is silly that a team who finished 10 points clear of the team below them should have to play them in 1 game where they might be beaten.

But can't you use the same argument against the playoff at the top of the first division (and every playoff everywhere between teams who have already been competing in the same league). Why should the team in second place in the LOI First, who have shown themselves a couple of points superior (or even just a couple of goals superior) to the team below them have to go into a playoff where they might be beaten?

I don't really see what distinction he's trying to make.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12