Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shelbourne and Tolka

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    I think it'd be great for Shels if they could get into Irishtown Stadium. I remember reading on here that they were trying that option. Any Shels fans know if it's a possibility?
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    Donnybrook gets way more use than any of those pitches. There are two or three schools games a week there in January and February and the pitch is usually a mess before the end of those. I can't imagine it'd be any way decent for the start of the season.
    I'll take your word for it. I haven't been since Leinster stopped playing senior games there.

Anyway, I think moving to Dalymount would be the worst thing they could do for attendances. They'd be directly competing for support with one of the top clubs in the league, which is never going to work out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    I think it'd be great for Shels if they could get into Irishtown Stadium. I remember reading on here that they were trying that option. Any Shels fans know if it's a possibility?
    Residents oppose any move in there. It's been looked into as has every single option available. Dalymount as a permanent or semi-permanent option would be the end of Shels imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Bohs and Shels co-habiting in sin ?

The FAI get their wish re stadium sharing after all.

Many's a temporary arrangement become very permanent - particularly if you're stuck without any alternative options.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    (Sorry UCD fans, but let's face it, ye are never going to draw the large-scale support of the wider community, because of the nature of the club)
    I shall chose to disagree; a club's nature has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Anyway, I think moving to Dalymount would be the worst thing they could do for attendances. They'd be directly competing for support with one of the top clubs in the league, which is never going to work out.
    Let's see how good Bohs are once they spend what they can afford. Drogheda were one of the top clubs in the league the last few years. But I agree that it's not a great move for them. Still, it's all of their own doing.

(Edit - UCD discussion moved to the UCD forum to keep this one on topic)
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 16/10/2009 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Bohs and Shels co-habiting in sin ?

The FAI get their wish re stadium sharing after all.

Many's a temporary arrangement become very permanent - particularly if you're stuck without any alternative options.
    Totally agree!! It'l be a permanent move.We've no plan B. irishtown stadium was prob only a pipe dream. Shelbourne park which was our original home for almost 50 years would have been another option but it prob would'nt be suitable for football these days anyway. the only ground near our traditional home would be donnybrook stadium and that dose'nt seem to be on the table anymore. Its a pity because it would have been a decent league of ireland ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Short term for the foreseeable future.

If anything ever summed up the LOI......
    That really does say it all, the League of Ireland in a nutshell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Such a shame to see a good league of Ireland ground with a proud history being filled with apartments. As if we haven't enough apartments in this country as it is.
    I find it seriously depressing tbh.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Sure Tolka was sold years ago. That's how they won all their league titles.

Nothing to do with all the games we won, the cleansheets we kept or the goals we scored so?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dong2008 View Post
    Such a shame to see a good league of Ireland ground with a proud history being filled with apartments. As if we haven't enough apartments in this country as it is.
    I find it seriously depressing tbh.
    +1 ...

It's a disgrace really that Ollie via his ego and greed, Ollie ran Shels into the ground and sold the ground out from under tem chasing the Champions league. I am sure auld Mr Donnelly is rolling in his grave!

It will be intestesting to see where Shels end up and fare in the next 5-10 years. Pity for them the Whitehall Home Farm share option was voted down.

bhs

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Do Shels have any money from the sale of Tolka left to help smooth passage into a new ground?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgo View Post
    Nothing to do with all the games we won, the cleansheets we kept or the goals we scored so?
    Wow. Talk about disconnection of events.

You don't think the money from the sale of the lease helped you buy the players who won the games, scored the goals and kept the clean sheets?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Are we all forgetting the plan to move Shels to Swords or Donabate or any other random place from about three years ago?

What will happen is in about three to four years' time, when one or other is in trouble, a deal will be brokered to merge Sporting Fingal and Shelbourne to create a Shelbourne-Fingal (or some such name) superclub, which will aim to be based in a new 14,000 seater stadium on land bought in Rush, which will be built in four years time. In the meantime the new club will continue to play in Morton Stadium, take the Shels jersey as the home kit and the SF as the away, and have a double crest. After four or five years of the merger, when the hopes of domination are dashed, the stadium isn't built and the people of Rush are not flocking to Santry (and why would they - it's a nightmare journey), the crest will "evolve" about four times, and the media will continuously drop the Fingal bit, and it will be seen by all as being standard mid-table Santry based Shelbourne, and any grants given will be spent on the improvement of Morton Stadium. The club will have a fantastic training ground in Rush, if it weren't for the wind, and Owen Heary will be the boss...

Personally, I don't hope that happens. I am also saddened to see the end of Tolka - a flawed ground, but a legendary one.
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    +1 ...

It's a disgrace really that Ollie via his ego and greed, Ollie ran Shels into the ground and sold the ground out from under tem chasing the Champions league. I am sure auld Mr Donnelly is rolling in his grave!

It will be intestesting to see where Shels end up and fare in the next 5-10 years. Pity for them the Whitehall Home Farm share option was voted down.

bhs
    Ironically enough at the time bohs membership rejected Shels offer to buy half of Dalymount (for a very low price) Shels were offered the option of renting at Dalymount, on a short term or long term basis. The offer was rejected by Ollie Byrne RIP in his annoyance at not getting to buy 50% of Dalymount. Had Shels taken the option they could have moved smoothly into Dalymount, not gone into finanacial meltdown (while spending was always unsustainable it was, at that point manageable) and arranged their future long term. bohs would also have benifited from the rent received. Talk about cutting off your nose.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Do Shels have any money from the sale of Tolka left to help smooth passage into a new ground?
    apparantley there's be 2-3 million euros but we have'nt been told an exact figure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Think Shels got most of the money up front to fund the "glory era" they enjoyed in 90's/ 2000's. Pretty sure what was left (or at least vast bulk of it) was drawn down to pay off creditors when the club went into finanacial meltdown.
    Hasten to add this info is what I have gleamed from Shels fans over last few years so if anyone out there has better intel feel free to correct me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1895ringsend View Post
    apparantley there's be 2-3 million euros but we have'nt been told an exact figure.
    My understanding of that - based, I should clarify, only on what I've read here - is that there was about that amount left a couple of years ago, and that it's been drawn against since to help clear remaining debts. As ever though, we won't really know until Shels actually move out of Tolka.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I find it hard to believe that Tolka is to be stripped and appartments built in its place NOW of all times, the building industry in this country is in tatters and i really cant see why or which builder would be crazy enough to take a punt on this type of project at this particular moment in time!

Shels exit seems a bit hasty on somebodies behalf and i wouldnt be surprised if Tolka lies derelict annd dormant for one or two years before the first diggers are on site!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,226 Posts
    Maybe now's a good time to move in with Bohs, given their financial problems?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
    What will happen is in about three to four years' time, when one or other is in trouble, a deal will be brokered to merge Sporting Fingal and Shelbourne to create a Shelbourne-Fingal (or some such name) superclub, which will aim to be based in a new 14,000 seater stadium on land bought in Rush, which will be built in four years time. In the meantime the new club will continue to play in Morton Stadium, take the Shels jersey as the home kit and the SF as the away, and have a double crest. After four or five years of the merger, when the hopes of domination are dashed, the stadium isn't built and the people of Rush are not flocking to Santry (and why would they - it's a nightmare journey), the crest will "evolve" about four times, and the media will continuously drop the Fingal bit, and it will be seen by all as being standard mid-table Santry based Shelbourne, and any grants given will be spent on the improvement of Morton Stadium. The club will have a fantastic training ground in Rush, if it weren't for the wind, and Owen Heary will be the boss...
    You are probably spot on with most of those predictions ...

bhs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast