Thanked in
    44 Posts
    it looks like they r handing over control to the C&B club candb.ie

I will wait for the details before making my judgement

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Is the claret & blue similar to Foras or is it just a name change for the current owners?
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    a goup of supporters set it up to raise funds for the club - over 200 members at 5/wk at the moment - give discounts in local shops and monthly prizes (check out the website). So not a trust like FORAS - but maybe it is to now become one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Sounds like a good idea, theres not a huge amount of detail in the press release but watch this space I suppose.

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    copy, paste anyone?
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I'm not sure whether the recognition that Drogheda United is not a viable commercial operation is good news.

However, I wish the fans the best of luck with running the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Full Statement

Wednesday, 14th October 2009 13:00

The Future is Claret & Blue!

The Board of Drogheda United FC today announced its intention to transform Drogheda United into a community club, owned and directed by the recently formed and successful Claret & Blue Club.

Like many businesses in the region, Drogheda United has been badly affected by the economic downturn. However, despite the challenges both on and off the pitch, the club enjoys massive support in the community, typified by the unprecedented fundraising effort that saved the club from extinction at the turn of the year. Newly appointed General Manager Sean Connolly said that the Board had in recent weeks considered ways to restore the vitality that surrounded the club before it entered examinership. “Various options for running a club successfully were examined and, of those, the community ownership model as exemplified by Shamrock Rovers stood head and shoulders above the rest. Having come to that conclusion, it has been decided to place the club on a non-profit footing with all revenues being vested in the club. A transfer of ownership of Drogheda United to the Claret & Blue Club would give existing and new members a direct say in how the football club is run and would in effect entrust this vital community asset to its supporters. There’s a lot of hard work ahead but the people of Drogheda proved during examinership that they are ready to stand up and be counted”. The Claret & Blue Club was formed in June 2009 as a means of bringing a constant, guaranteed revenue stream into Drogheda United FC. It has rapidly evolved into the most innovative fundraising initiative in the League of Ireland today. With a membership already in excess of 200, a trebling of this number would provide the strong platform needed to smooth the transfer of ownership to the supporters of DUFC. Members currently receive discounts in 35 local
    businesses in the Drogheda area, and are entered into a monthly prize draw. As an additional incentive to join, main Claret & Blue Club sponsors Panorama Holidays have also offered the first 500 members a €100 holiday voucher.

Over the coming weeks the club will consult with supporters on how best to manage the transfer of ownership.
    Lifelong supporter and major shareholder in Drogheda United Vincent Hoey said, “The club empathises with the many people and businesses who are struggling to cope with the effects of the recession. We intend to show leadership and to work more closely with the business community, the local authority, the Chamber of Commerce and all citizens to the benefit of the club and the region’s economy”. Mr. Hoey added that significant changes to the structure and administration of the club have already been implemented with the recent appointment of General Manager Sean Connolly and Commercial Manager Peter Halpin.

In order to secure the immediate future of the club, a “Legacy” initiative has also today been unveiled under which a number of business leaders will be invited to provide additional financial support and become life guardians of the club. This scheme is targeted at those who recognise that this important community asset is an integral part of the social fabric of the region.
    Mr. Connolly said, “The support of local business leaders will be essential in allowing us the time to effect a smooth transition of ownership to the people. I am confident that we can reinvigorate the club over the coming weeks and months so that supporters can look forward to a strong and thriving club achieving further glory for the town and its environs.”

Press release ends.

Blog

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Best of luck in your endeavours:
    The more teams that are well run and with supporter involvement can only be of benefit to the league in general.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Sounds brilliant. wish we had the same chance, best of luck with it.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Interesting development. I would encourage those involved to think very carefully about the structure and strategy of the new setup right at the start. Harps set up the Co-Op without really detailing any of that adequately and it has been part of the club not achieving its potential.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    “Various options for running a club successfully were examined and, of those, the community ownership model as exemplified by Shamrock Rovers stood head and shoulders above the rest.

I wish them well but just because you become a members club doesnt mean the whole thing wont end up in a mess, just look at Bohs. But I think its great to see another club trying to do things right. Private ownership has failed Irish football in the past too many times. Hopefully other clubs e.g. Cork and Pats will follow suit in the short to medium term.

bhs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    There is a false percetion at the moment regarding this development . The Claret and Blue club is a 200 club that puts revenue into the club at the moment. It is not the Supporters club which comes under the heading of DUISC. Supporters representatives have had no formal discussions as yet with the club on this initiative. The directors seemingly have no intention of letting go the reins but want the running of the club under the stewardship of the Claret and Blue. It remains to be seen what role supporters would have in this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Best of luck to Drogheda. They seem to have learned their lesson from the financial issues last season. Hopefully this will allow them to get back on a sound footing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Great initiative. Best of luck to Drogheda with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaretnBlue View Post
    Supporters representatives have had no formal discussions as yet with the club on this initiative. The directors seemingly have no intention of letting go the reins but want the running of the club under the stewardship of the Claret and Blue. It remains to be seen what role supporters would have in this.
    This is what ive heard myself, and that there is a bit of railroading by the club. If it is true that Drogheda United have revealed these intentions having not discussed it with supporter groups then this opinion stands up. The current Directors hardly plan to sell\hand over the club to supporters, stay in their current role while handing the responsibility and liability to the community??! Why not just be honest and say you lot give us money so you can own the club, but we will keep our jobs and decide where to spend your money - not at all like the Rovers model!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Best of luck and hopefully Connolly will show Drogheda fans more respect than he showed Dundalk fans who 'owned' the club when he was the CEO in Oriel Park. I have my doubts about this annoucement. But time will tell.
    Neale Fenn on retiring: 'I think once you finish you might as well finish rather than making all sorts of comebacks.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Sounds great, best of luck to and i hope it will work for Drogheda. It would be something that us all down here in Cork would love .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaretnBlue View Post
    There is a false percetion at the moment regarding this development . The Claret and Blue club is a 200 club that puts revenue into the club at the moment. It is not the Supporters club which comes under the heading of DUISC. Supporters representatives have had no formal discussions as yet with the club on this initiative. The directors seemingly have no intention of letting go the reins but want the running of the club under the stewardship of the Claret and Blue. It remains to be seen what role supporters would have in this.
    So they want you to do all the work, run the club but they want to retain 100% ownership.
    Approach with great caution.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Im confused as to what degree of involvement the fans have in this initiative.Is it to be a members club with an elected board?cos anything else wont do ,Drogs fans have a great opportunity here to take total controll and build a good community club,best of luck.
    Last edited by RoversHead; 14/10/2009 at 11:10 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast