Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drogheda to become a "Community Club"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    This has to seen as a positive step and hopefully it will go down the road of a supporters owned and run club . But its the first step but a huge one as far as im concerned .The club has treated supporters like crap for years and even after we saved the club we were still looked upon as paying customers with no valid opinions . Have to say im schocked that the statement has come out at all .Exciting times ahead

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok View Post
    So they want you to do all the work, run the club but they want to retain 100% ownership.
    Approach with great caution.
    Tiktok, I can assure you that it is 100% incorrect.

The directors of Drogheda United are willing to relinquish all control of the club on the understanding that the Claret & Blue Club can attract sufficient members and thus generate sufficient revenue to run the club in the Shamrock Rovers style model. The Claret & Blue Club currently comprises 200 members from a cross-section of supporters and is therefore seen as the logical vehicle to take over ownership and administer the club. This of course will only happen if there is a will on behalf of supporters. In effect a very, very small group of people have been doing all the work to date, voluntarily and willingly, but this is not a way to run any organisation in the long term and it is now time for all those interested in maintaining football in Drogheda to play their part in creating a framework within which the club can be run on a self-sustaining basis.

We are in the unique position in Drogheda where the directors are offering their shareholding to a body that it is hoped can, if not immediately, then as soon as is practicable be changed into a supporters trust type body because it already fulfills two of the criteria required i.e. it has a substantial number of members and these members are contributing funds. Put simply in order to do this, people and money are needed to run the club and the Claret & Blue Club already goes some way towards being able to provide both and can be grown if there is a will by the supporters to go this route. The directors will facilitate this in any way that they can. In other words they will stay as long as they are required and will assist with both the legalities of this process and the smooth transition. We have this opportunity now and we must make sure that it is used wisely for the benefit of the club.
    Last edited by Horus; 15/10/2009 at 7:29 AM. Reason: Additional information

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I really hope that this is an initiative that works well for Drogheda United, but I would suggest large dollops of caution and maybe even some scepticism from Drogheda supporters.

Phrases like "community club", "restoring vitality", "non-profit basis", "in effect entrust this vital community asset to its supporters", are all positive sound-bytes but it is not apparent that the strategy and detail are in any way clear.

It may be a warning sign that the announcement is made without full discussions and agreements reached: "Over the coming weeks the club will consult with supporters on how best to manage the transfer of ownership"

I can understand how Cork City fans in particular would see this as a positive route given the current circumstances there. Members clubs or co-ops are not automatically the best or only way forward. The devil may be in the detail!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts

Thumbs up

Best of luck to them with this.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    excellent news for Drogheda, a club and fans i have a lot of time for. Best of luck with it and ignore the begrudgers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horus View Post
    Tiktok, I don't know where you gleaned that information but I can assure you that it is 100% incorrect.
    That was what I read into the post from ClaretNBlue that I quoted, which I took [maybe mistook] as an 'official' Claret and Blue Club comment? If I picked that up wrong I apologise without hesitation.

If the rest of what you say in your post is accurate then it's a fantastic development, and great recognition of the abilities and efforts that the CandB people put in, I won't claim to know them, but from the interactions I've have with a few of them, I can't think of more committed people to the Drogs cause.

This can only be a positive development for Drogs if all parties are truly committed to it.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I'd be very worried about this coming from the directors rather than the supporters - they'll decide when and how they'll hand it over, and in the mean time they'll just take the money and do want they want?

I don't really see how the number of members is all that relevant to be honest, unless there's a lot of subvention going in by the current board. If it's already running based on the income coming into the club, there's nothing to stop it going over as soon as the legalities are sorted.

As for the structure, that should be up to the members of the claret and blue club - if the club aren't 100% hands off that structure and it's funds, it should remove itself immediately. Otherwise I'd be treating this with a large degree of cynicism.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok View Post
    That was what I read into the post from ClaretNBlue that I quoted, which I took [maybe mistook] as an 'official' Claret and Blue Club comment? If I picked that up wrong I apologise without hesitation.

If the rest of what you say in your post is accurate then it's a fantastic development, and great recognition of the abilities and efforts that the CandB people put in, I won't claim to know them, but from the interactions I've have with a few of them, I can't think of more committed people to the Drogs cause.

This can only be a positive development for Drogs if all parties are truly committed to it.
    Tiktok - I saw where you got it and already edited my post. Cheers for your support.

Macy - have you the first idea of what is required to run a football club? No. Nor do we. That's why it would be the most insane idea ever to take control of the club now. I believe that what is being put on the table now is an ideal scenario. The current board continue to run the club until such time as we are fully satisfied, have sufficient support and sufficient funds to take it over and run it properly. End of.
    Last edited by Horus; 15/10/2009 at 8:27 AM. Reason: typo

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Running a football club isn't the rocket science most club boards appear to try and make it!
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    And maybe it is rocket science, rocket scientists aren't running them and that's why most are in the state they are in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Horus View Post
    And maybe it is rocket science, rocket scientists aren't running them and that's why most are in the state they are in
    I think running a club sensibly isnt hard to do, yes theres lot of hard work involved, but most of it should be just basic common business sense. But alot of clubs business model in terms of catchment area and facilities is crap to begin with and then most people the world over seem to leave their brain at the door and let their ego run away with itself when the get involved in clubs.

The biggest problems at any club (and indeed any business) is going to be setting a realistic budget at the start of the season and then doing your cash flow manangment based on that. Most clubs cant seem to set realistic budgets so the cash flow management if there was any breaks down very soon after. A decent accountant should be able to do both, e.g. looking at fixtures at the start of the season and noticing that there at some point at 3 week gap between homes games, so plan some other fundraiser to bridge the gap. It certainly ain't rocket science.

bhs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Seems to me like the club are trying to offload their debts on the supporters.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    What's the position up in Drogheda at the moment? Isn't there a bit of turmoil with a director resigning and money unaccounted for and stuff like that? (Or maybe I'm reading the Drogheda forum wrong, in which case, apologies). Is the club after racking up a loss this year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    What's the position up in Drogheda at the moment? Isn't there a bit of turmoil with a director resigning and money unaccounted for and stuff like that? (Or maybe I'm reading the Drogheda forum wrong, in which case, apologies). Is the club after racking up a loss this year?
    Theres all kinds of stories going around.
    What is certain though is that the former Commercial Manager left over a weekend having cleared his office completely - never left as much as a blank sheet of paper. The money raised from the Liverpool Legends weekend seems to have fallen into a black hole somewhere and this person was allowed to work away on the project on his own personal laptop completely unmonitored.
    There was a considerable sum raised that weekend - different reports on the amount but somewhere between €25000 and €35000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    My first thought too tbh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Thats a worry I have myself - just hope its not a case of the club being f***** financially and looking for supporters to bail out their f*** ups in the off season.

However, without knowing more details its hard to know. My first thoughts are that a statement like this is a positive step in that it gives us the first step of finally been treated with a bit of respect by the club - and more importantly for me to see accountability in the running of the club, thats all i ever wanted (and never saw why we shouldnt have always had it).

Will wait and see the full details before getting too excited - but hopefully its a step in the right direction

What I will say is that there are some very good people involved in CAB at the moment.
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    This sounds well dodgy, and it mightn't be .... the board may have the best of intentions and it could be just an extended handover period. But that said, i mentioned this to a few self proclaimed barstoolers in work and they laughed. Now the same bunch of lads would be naturally sceptical it has to be said but they had a point .... it sounds like a rip off.

With nothing safeguarded legally then the supporters CandB should really be reviewing what they are doing, consider arbitration and other measure to make sure they are not getting done, or enabling themselves to get done, or take responsibility and not leaving the potential/temptation to get done.

No one is saying that something like this shouldn't work, i'd be a complete optimist and love the idea of something like this taking off, but not doing it properly is doing a huge injustice to all parties, all stake holders in fact. And remember fans who aren't members of C&B or the supporters club or anything but are still Drogs fans dont deserve to go through all this stuff again.

Cop on, dont dive in, do it right, the world is your oyster !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    What I will say is that there are some very good people involved in CAB at the moment.
    For a moment there, I was startled at the idea that the Criminal Assets Bureau might be looking at Drogs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    A good move by Drogheda, it's obvious they are following Rovers.

Don't know if such a thing would work here though, we probably don't have enough fans to financially support a professional football club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Fans or no fans- their first port of call should be some serious due diligence. Supporters Direct in the UK might be a good call for the outside experts.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast