Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bohs and the FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Bohs and the FAI

And does anybody seriously think that the FAI will deal with Bohs come the end of the season?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-1907499.html
    Neale Fenn on retiring: 'I think once you finish you might as well finish rather than making all sorts of comebacks.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    No.

The only comment I'd like to make is that I wasn't aware of the true extent of their cash flow problems earlier this season.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    And some people will continue to excuse the FAI from the whole financial debacle that the league is in.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    if they help Bohs out , then surely they should have to help out the rest of the teams in trouble?????????????????????????
    Good for the Goose....good for the gander and all that.

FAI ..are they FIFA in disguise (making up the rules as they go along)

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    On the face of it there appears to be a contradiction in the FAI positions on providing operational assistance to clubs:

The FAI have stated on the record that they would resist in helping clubs pay day-to-day bills such as wages.
    Internal Compliance Officer Padraig Smith insisted in an online Q&A last March that "the FAI has not and will not provide financial assistance to clubs to fund their operational costs".
    An FAI official last night said: "We've given Bohemians an advance on guaranteed UEFA monies and this is standard European practice."
    The official claimed that that other clubs had been given advances of money due for participation in Europe, but declined to name any.
    But apart from the question of consistency of approach with all clubs, I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with the FAI making an advance on guaranteed UEFA money or league prize money. As I recall, they advanced an element of league prize money to all clubs during the mid season break without any contentious issues arising.

The article is perhaps more revealing about the state of delusion and denial that exists with the Bohs board - an admitted crises about paying wages months ago, followed since by regular nonsensical statements about the 65% and full time budgets for 2010

Irish Independent 8 Aug
    Some Bohemians members have expressed concern about the club's expenditure, but honorary secretary Gerry Conway yesterday asserted that they are "nowhere near" breaking the 65pc rule amid speculation that authorities in Abbotstown are closely monitoring the situation at Dalymount Park.
    Conway confirmed that Bohs had been reminded of the sanctions that would imposed on any club breaching the Protocol but insisted that the Gypsies' fans have nothing to be worried about in that regard.
    "Even if Pat [Fenlon] signed another five players we would still be within the 65pc," he said.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-1449228.html

Irish Independent Friday September 25 2009

PAT Fenlon has insisted that his Bohemians side will retain a full-time professional set-up next season, despite the fact that the club is currently operating over the 65pc salary cap and has debts of more than €4.4m.
    The Gypsies' boss also expressed confidence that he can hold on to the nucleus of his current squad, which is this season operating under a projected budget of roughly €1.6m.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-1896455.html

Irish Independent Thursday October 01 2009

Last week, Gypsies boss Pat Fenlon indicated that the money men at Dalymount Park have promised a budget which will maintain a full-time set-up next year.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...e-1901093.html

The Bohs team and the small band of supporters is a credit to the club - the board is bumbling and bull****ting the club into the abyiss.
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 08/10/2009 at 8:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baddebt View Post
    if they help Bohs out , then surely they should have to help out the rest of the teams in trouble?????????????????????????
    Good for the Goose....good for the gander and all that.
    we both know, and the rest of us i'm sure, that will never happen.
    Sporting F*ck All!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Didn't the FAI also advance Derry some of their UEFA money? I wouldn't have a problem with the FAI advancing guaranteed income like this, but the comments over accounting in the piece are disturbing.

One must also wonder, given the dire situation described in the article, how long the 100k would have tided Bohs over and how they're doing currently.
    Last edited by Mr A; 08/10/2009 at 8:40 AM.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,231 Posts
    The longer Bohs (and others) are kept afloat, the harder the eventual fall will be. At this stage, if they want to ruin their club, let them.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The longer Bohs (and others) are kept afloat, the harder the eventual fall will be. At this stage, if they want to ruin their club, let them.
    The members were informed that an overdraft was needed from the bank to fulfil our fixtue with RB Salzburg. It was a sizeable six figure, whaetever the machinations involved that took place that led to us getting a loan off the FAI instead of a bank loan, I don't know . Thisbut is just an everyday tale in the hand to mouth existence of any LoI club given some extra spin in the context of this season's financial crises. Hopefuly the loan proves cost effective for the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,231 Posts
    Getting a six-figure overdraft to fulfill one fixture is not an everyday tale in the LoI.

Such panic loans hardly ever prove cost effective. The noises coming out of Dalyer are Shelbourne-esque death throes.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Getting a six-figure overdraft to fulfill one fixture is not an everyday tale in the LoI.

Such panic loans hardly ever prove cost effective. The noises coming out of Dalyer are Shelbourne-esque death throes.
    Panic loan is a bit much. No one is denying BFC is a walking corpse from a cashflow point of view, would you seriously have expected any club in this league to set aside over €100k contingency to pay expenses for CL participation at the start of the season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,231 Posts
    Lots of clubs have managed to play their European games without an advance. (I know Bohs aren't the first club to get an advance).

E100k expenses to travel to Austria for one game? If that's the case (E3k+ a person?), you need to look at your costs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Didn't the FAI also advance Derry some of their UEFA money? I wouldn't have a problem with the FAI advancing guaranteed income like this, but the comments over accounting in the piece are disturbing.

One must also wonder, given the dire situation described in the article, how long the 100k would have tided Bohs over and how they're doing currently.
    To be honest i even remember Dodge coming on to our section and saying about if you drawn out in the arse end of nowhere the FAI will advance you your UEFA money as it is paid through them. Although to be fair he was talking about not in relation to using it to pay wages, so i suppose that's where the story is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I dont have a problem with the FAI advancing a club money to help them cover their Euro travel bills etc, as the money to repay it is definately going to be coming in from UEFA.

"We've given Bohemians an advance on guaranteed UEFA monies and this is standard European practice."

That seems fair enough to me.

I was just more wondering about the timing / substance of this. Is the intention to damage the FAI or Bohs or is the whole thing just a cheap headline grabing story? Hard to know what to make of it!

But when the FAI are bending over backward to help the Gypos cover their wage bill, it does make a mockery of Fenlon's recent every one is out to get us rants.

bhs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    I think we were advanced our UEFA money, or at least some part of it.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,231 Posts
    Actually, the article is talking about a loan given in July? Thought it was given now for some reason. That's much less of a news story. Although I still can't imagine it cost E100k to get everyone to Austria for three days.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    seems straightforward enough.
    Bohs: Dear FAI, we have been drawn in Austria for the CL, it is costing us an arm and a leg to get there, accomm, hiring training facilities etc. We can't afford to cover this and the month's wages out of current expenditure. We could go and get a ridiculously expensive overdraft but if you lend us the money it will save us a few quid in interest and would be much appreciated. Yours in sport- BFC

Journalist: BFC can't pay their wages and the FAI are lending them the money.

easy enough to see there are two angles to what is a non-story.

And yes the seemingly excessive costs were queried by members, but were adequately explained and no one doubted the sums involved were reasonable.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Actually, the article is talking about a loan given in July? Thought it was given now for some reason. That's much less of a news story. Although I still can't imagine it cost E100k to get everyone to Austria for three days.
    the 100,000 was also to cover wages,it was money that was guaranteed to be paid back.

Mod edit - don't dismiss people's comments on the basis of the club they support.

(And try get some proper info on those clubs if you are going to comment on them).
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 08/10/2009 at 11:42 AM.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Pretty bonkers that your accounts state that your plan to stay solvent includes 'increasing European activities' and then not budgeting for actually having to travel to a single away leg in a relatively easily accessible country.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Whilst there may have been some extra costs with going to Austria, I would've thought that it would be sensible to make some contingency. For the costs to be so much above the norm of any other possible fixture that they meant wages couldn't be met seems a bit suspect to me.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast