Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bohs and the FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    Didn't they offer to buy your ground and lease it back to you and get turned down?
    No, Cobh offered that deal to the FAI. The FAI turned it down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Didn't the FAI advance some of this year's prize money to all premier clubs, or did I dream that?
    Aye, did all clubs not get a few grand
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    718 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brianw82 View Post
    No, Cobh offered that deal to the FAI. The FAI turned it down.
    I seem to recall some faffing about from Cobh's end too. Anyone recall details?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I seem to recall some faffing about from Cobh's end too. Anyone recall details?
    One of the Ramblers fans probably knows more, but AFAIK that was the 'Friends of Cobh Ramblers' who were opposed to the deal. There seemed to be a lot of in-fighting going on in the club.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Tell you what - there is as many people missing the point on this thread as there are sitters missed each weekend in the league.

Bellavista for heavens sake - please understand before posting.

S Morgan when giving out european monies are the FAI to look for receipts for every transaction adding up to the total mount? How feasible is that?

Pineapplestu's quote of Roverstillidie's post form their forum captures the key questions.

As osborne says, who leaked to a journo and why? Is there a power struggle at board level in Bohs. Has one director spit the dummy over finances. Or is the leak from the FAI side. If so why?

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osborne View Post
    I think everybody is overlooking the real question this story raises:

Who leaked it to a journalist and why?
    Good question! Something that can only be speculated upon.

On the basis that 3 emails involved exchanges between an unnamed former board member and directors Robert Dunne and Chris Brien, it's fair to speculate that this mystery man is the most likely source of the disclosure. The quoted emails indicate that this person was a director at that time in July: "I imagined we would further discuss this when we met, as in what exactly the money was for". So who was a director in July who is not today?

Why leak it? Maybe pique, settling old scores, or maybe something more noble then that - perhaps a desire to stimulate a real change in the delusional and arrogant behviour and utterances coming from the Bohs boardroom.

I would not welcome the demise of a such a long-established and important club, but it is way beyond time that Bohs members and fans stopped accepting the nonsense that is consistently dished out by their board

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I would not welcome the demise of a such a long-established and important club, but it is way beyond time that Bohs members and fans stopped accepting the nonsense that is consistently dished out by their board
    Well put mate, its almost as if some of the heads down there feel that because they are such a long established club and Dalymount was the original home of Irish Football that they are above any action.

Worse fools still are the idiots that are swallowing all of the crap they are being fed!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    very good post,its disgraceful whats been going on at bohs,there were some right delusional people running the club.but recently shamrock rovers came into a few bob after real madrid and what did they do,sign a goakeeper they didnt need,30000 allegdly on a player from bray and washed up barrett.so i think all clubs have a few delusional people running them.there is very little forward planning in loi,its all about the present and some glory
    We signed players in the window because we could afford to increase the budget a bit. Even after these signings we are still only in the mid 50s percentage wise on the salary cost protocol. As for lack of forward planning and all about present glory I will direct you to this article in the paper from last week

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...e-1901093.html

Last week, Gypsies boss Pat Fenlon indicated that the money men at Dalymount Park have promised a budget which will maintain a full-time set-up next year.

However, Rovers will persist as they stand right now. At present, 30pc of their playing staff have jobs outside football, but O'Neill attributes that to the current economic climate rather than anything else.

The former Northern Ireland international -- a qualified financial advisor, who worked with Ernst & Young and started his own mortgage company in between the end of his playing career and entering management -- insists that his current employers have to be patient rather than making a jump too quickly.

"I don't believe it's sustainable (full- time) in this current climate," he says. "People will argue that essentially we are full-time. I can assure you we are not. We're going training at 5.30pm (last night) so we have to focus on the lads who are at work, to get them out early.

"At this moment in time, I'm not convinced the clubs can commit to full-time football in my view of what full-time football is, having experienced it in England and Scotland.

Analysis

"We have the players together essentially from about 5.0 to 7.30 every day. Full-time football for me would be having the players in at 9.30 and in until 3.30 or 4.0 on certain days. Now, we have very little time to do video analysis, all of those things you would do if you were in a full-time structure.

"I think the model we have here is the model which suits the league at this minute in time. Going full-time for a year and continually being under threat financially isn't really going full-time to be honest. It has to be done with a realistic five- to 10-year plan which you know is sustainable."

Rovers chairman Jonathan Roche is singing off the same hymn sheet. With their current operation, the Hoops have an annual turnover which he estimates to be in the region of €1.3m with a 10pc increase expected in 2010.

"I think it would have to be a long-term thing," he says of professionalism. "I think we'd be mad to jump into a full-time situation next year.

"We'd have to plan properly to make sure that the football club would get the full benefit of having a full-time squad and everything that comes from that. We'd be of the same mind that we build and we review the structure of the football club on an ongoing basis, so we can change that if circumstances change. But at the moment we're quite happy with where we're going."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Yep, Bohs board have a monopoly on that all right. anyone recall the "we have no finanacial problems" line rolled out at Dundalk shortly before they could not pay players contracts ? Cork ? Derry ? drogs ? the 4% club ? etc etc etc.
    As regards this non story, advances against guaranteed european income are nothing new (unlike Cork advance on money they MIGHT win). The fact that Bohs needed the advance are worrying but in the absence of bigger picture hardly illuminating.
    still any chance for small clubs to have a go...........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Yep, Bohs board have a monopoly on that all right. anyone recall the "we have no finanacial problems" line rolled out at Dundalk shortly before they could not pay players contracts ? Cork ? Derry ? drogs ? the 4% club ? etc etc etc.
    As regards this non story, advances against guaranteed european income are nothing new (unlike Cork advance on money they MIGHT win). The fact that Bohs needed the advance are worrying but in the absence of bigger picture hardly illuminating.
    I don't think the fact that they needed the advance for travel obligations is really the issue. Most people here wouldn't have a problem with that. It's the fact that part of that money was used to pay wages, and the fact that the FAI seemed to know this, that's the problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    This smacks of more denial to me. Maybe it's just that you are hurt or fearful about the overall situation, or think that your club is under attack and you are duty bound to defend this.

Could I respectfully suggest to you that your club is under serious attack from WITHIN. The more the board trot out double-speak delusional nonsense and the more that gullible Bohs members and fans are prepared to accept this the greater the threat becomes.

Can you not grasp that it is irrelevant to the Bohs situation whether or not other boards have also been in denial?

For what it is worth (and I do accept that you will believe what suits you) at no time did the Dundalk board ever roll out the "we have no financial problems" line - in fact a fans forum to openly declare the probability of an end-of-season deficit occured last April! If you want a further illustration of the open-ness and candid attitude of Gerry Matthews to this reality, check out any of the published interviews on this forum. Heres a recent one - http://blackandwhitetown.squarespace...interview.html

Your arrogance with the "small clubs" gibe sums up the situation - I just hope your views are not typical of Bohs supporters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    For what it is worth (and I do accept that you will believe what suits you) at no time did the Dundalk board ever roll out the "we have no financial problems" line - in fact a fans forum to openly declare the probability of an end-of-season deficit occured last April!
    I don't think the Bohs board is pretending that there are no financial problems, or that we are not heading for deficit, again.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brianw82 View Post
    I don't think the fact that they needed the advance for travel obligations is really the issue. Most people here wouldn't have a problem with that. It's the fact that part of that money was used to pay wages, and the fact that the FAI seemed to know this, that's the problem.
    Clubs have been getting an advance on the money for years. I know we did in 2004 and 2005. The FAI weren't bothered what it was for, I don't think we pretended it was for any specific reason. We needed it, they gave it. The fact that we needed it early tells its own story but as the Bohs fans are saying it shouldn't be any great shock that they've been having difficulty paying the bills this year. I don't understand the fuss people are making personally.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Clubs have been getting an advance on the money for years. I know we did in 2004 and 2005. The FAI weren't bothered what it was for, I don't think we pretended it was for any specific reason. We needed it, they gave it. The fact that we needed it early tells its own story but as the Bohs fans are saying it shouldn't be any great shock that they've been having difficulty paying the bills this year. I don't understand the fuss people are making personally.
    Agreed this particular issue is getting muddled up between Bohs money woes and the FAI advance.

Richard Sadler spoke on MNS earlier in the season that clubs could ask the FAI for their guaranteed euro money if they so wished AND that the club could use the money as they so wished the FAI did not put requirements on the advance. This is no more than what the club would do when the money came in anyway I.e. Pay the most pressing bills whether they be wages, suppliers, creditors etc.

Alternative is they could just let the bills stack up on the promise of paying the bills when the guaranteed money came in.

It would make more sense to give the advance.

Clubs participating in the Setanta cup all got advances as well.

Sligo, Pats, Bohs, Derry all could have got the advance if they wanted.

Bohs, cork etc overall money problems are a different issue but in my eyes are more pressing and important as by the FAI rules both should be relegated come end of season and Bray, drogs or whoever it may be that is in the bottom two are saved which would make a big difference for any club saved by Bohs or Cork demotion. .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    This smacks of more denial to me. Maybe it's just that you are hurt or fearful about the overall situation, or think that your club is under attack and you are duty bound to defend this.

Could I respectfully suggest to you that your club is under serious attack from WITHIN. The more the board trot out double-speak delusional nonsense and the more that gullible Bohs members and fans are prepared to accept this the greater the threat becomes.

Can you not grasp that it is irrelevant to the Bohs situation whether or not other boards have also been in denial?

For what it is worth (and I do accept that you will believe what suits you) at no time did the Dundalk board ever roll out the "we have no financial problems" line - in fact a fans forum to openly declare the probability of an end-of-season deficit occured last April! If you want a further illustration of the open-ness and candid attitude of Gerry Matthews to this reality, check out any of the published interviews on this forum. Heres a recent one - http://blackandwhitetown.squarespace...interview.html

Your arrogance with the "small clubs" gibe sums up the situation - I just hope your views are not typical of Bohs supporters.
    Please explain the "denial" bit ? I simply posted that Bohs do not have a monopoly on delusional management (NOT that Bohs management was not, at times, delusional). How this makes me "hurt" or "fearful" is a figment of your over active imagination.
    During the Dave Rogers debate when it was suggested that the sacking was due to finanacial concerns many Dundalk fans came on here to deny it, some quoting official statements. This proved as accurate as any finanacial decision taken at Dalymount. Perhaps you should try to grasp your own clubs limitations rather than constantly focus on those at Bohs as it just comes across as bitter at this stage. Feel free to comment about any issue at Bohs but if you want to be taken seriously cut out the sniping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    During the Dave Rogers debate when it was suggested that the sacking was due to finanacial concerns many Dundalk fans came on here to deny it, some quoting official statements. ...
    WTF?? I've been critical of how Dundalk dealt with the Dave Rogers situation. The club were clearly wrong to sack him. But even I wouldn't entertain the notion that the clubs actions were motivated by monitory considerations. He was one of the club's best players at the time of his scaking and we sign 5 or 6 players after he left. So how the hell could his sacking have had anything to do with financial concerns??
    Neale Fenn on retiring: 'I think once you finish you might as well finish rather than making all sorts of comebacks.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SMorgan View Post
    WTF?? I've been critical of how Dundalk dealt with the Dave Rogers situation. The club were clearly wrong to sack him. But even I wouldn't entertain the notion that the clubs actions were motivated by monitory considerations. He was one of the club's best players at the time of his scaking and we sign 5 or 6 players after he left. So how the hell could his sacking have had anything to do with financial concerns??
    I'd be surprised if getting him off the payroll wasn't a contributing factor. Dead right to sack him for gross misconduct, pity they didn't do it by the book.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Please explain the "denial" bit ? I simply posted that Bohs do not have a monopoly on delusional management (NOT that Bohs management was not, at times, delusional). How this makes me "hurt" or "fearful" is a figment of your over active imagination.
    Happy to clarify for you:

My original post, part of which you quoted in your response, highlighted the obviously contradictory and increasingly delusional statements coming from the Bohs board, made bizarrely more apparent in the light of the emails quoted from July.

While you could have stayed silent, acknowledged it, or disputed it, you choose to respond, ignoring the central point and throwing out "red herrings" about other clubs. This indicates to me the possibilty of denial of the reality unfolding at Bohs.

The "hurt", "fearful" or "duty bound to protect" comments were simply speculation on my part as to possible alternative motivators - I don't know how you feel unless you express it.

During the Dave Rogers debate when it was suggested that the sacking was due to finanacial concerns many Dundalk fans came on here to deny it, some quoting official statements. This proved as accurate as any finanacial decision taken at Dalymount. Perhaps you should try to grasp your own clubs limitations rather than constantly focus on those at Bohs
    I don't intend to buy your "red herring" - Dundalk have financial issues which they clearly acknowledged many months ago and have long since set about tackling in a very open and frank way.

Your statement about the Dave Rogers affair is simply and obviously incorrect, and I find it incredible that you could seriously equate the two issues on the level of open-ness or veracity !

.........rather than constantly focus on those at Bohs as it just comes across as bitter at this stage. Feel free to comment about any issue at Bohs but if you want to be taken seriously cut out the sniping.
    Its very hard to take this comment seriously when I look back at your previous closing remark/snipe:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Happy to clarify for you:

My original post, part of which you quoted in your response, highlighted the obviously contradictory and increasingly delusional statements coming from the Bohs board, made bizarrely more apparent in the light of the emails quoted from July.

While you could have stayed silent, acknowledged it, or disputed it, you choose to respond, ignoring the central point and throwing out "red herrings" about other clubs. This indicates to me the possibilty of denial of the reality unfolding at Bohs.

The "hurt", "fearful" or "duty bound to protect" comments were simply speculation on my part as to possible alternative motivators - I don't know how you feel unless you express it.

I don't intend to buy your "red herring" - Dundalk have financial issues which they clearly acknowledged many months ago and have long since set about tackling in a very open and frank way.

Your statement about the Dave Rogers affair is simply and obviously incorrect, and I find it incredible that you could seriously equate the two issues on the level of open-ness or veracity !

Its very hard to take this comment seriously when I look back at your previous closing remark/snipe:
    Would love to respond but apparently that right only applies to some posters

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123