Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Conor Clifford

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Seems to be spending most of his time warming the bench. Concerning given that Crawley have been on the slide.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrigaline View Post
    Seems to be spending most of his time warming the bench. Concerning given that Crawley have been on the slide.
    Share your concern. At a top club, captained us at underage level, even called up to the senior side, and yet can't secure a regular starting spot at a League One club. Can't say I know what is happening with him. Anyone able to enlighten me?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Clifford would be better signing for a LOI team and rebuilding his career from there. Perhaps he is just not good enough. Amazing he gets selected for Irish panels ahead of the likes of Hendrick, Garvan, McCann, Dicker to name just a few.
    Always look on the bright side of life

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Clifford would be better signing for a LOI team and rebuilding his career from there. Perhaps he is just not good enough. Amazing he gets selected for Irish panels ahead of the likes of Hendrick, Garvan, McCann, Dicker to name just a few.
    We have Gibson, McCarthy, Whelan, Andrews, Meyler, Hoolahan, Fahey, Tabb, A.Reid....Green ahead of him as well as the lads you mentioned. It is bizarre how Trapattoni picked him. He must have been impressed watching a DVD of Clifford sitting on the bench in League 1.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 23/12/2012 at 1:33 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Garvan, McCann, and Clifford (from what I've seen of them) are more ball playing central players than the rough and tumble destroyers that a lot of British managers want. Garvan in particular would be more suited to Continental European football.

It would be something I would like to see the FAI encourage more at the developmental stage, particularily for the kids that are destined to get moved abroad, is to focus on a bit of foreign language and not just herd the children to Britain
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Garvan, McCann, and Clifford (from what I've seen of them) are more ball playing central players than the rough and tumble destroyers that a lot of British managers want. Garvan in particular would be more suited to Continental European football.

It would be something I would like to see the FAI encourage more at the developmental stage, particularily for the kids that are destined to get moved abroad, is to focus on a bit of foreign language and not just herd the children to Britain
    We get to see if continental is better over the next few years wit those 2 10/11 yo kids at barca and real. Hopefully 2 classy strikers playing in laliga in 6 0r 7 years!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post

What I would like to see from the FAI is proper money put into development of football at home so they didn't have to leave the country at all. But that's just my opinion.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    I would say that CC was the most overrated on here by some of the more respected posters which i wish was not true.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    I would say that CC was the most overrated on here by some of the more respected posters which i wish was not true.
    Why? Because he hasn't developed fully on the potential he has shown throughout his career so far?

I remember watching him at the Kennedy Cup and he was the best player I've seen play at that tournament, or schoolboy level, since Steven Ireland at the same competition or Daryl Kavanagh at u16 level.

He was miles ahead of anybody that year, think it was 2004, and every scout around was there to watch him play.

I've followed his career closely since and been to a couple of Chelsea games when I was in London and again, even when he played at reserve level, he looked the real deal.

Unfortunately, and it seems to be a common trend for Irish players at the bigger clubs, he didn't move on when he should have. Chelsea didn't offer him a new contract because they expected him to make it with them, they did it to try cash in on their investment over the years and any loan move hasn't been designed to benefit the player, it is more to get him in a shop window and hope someone offers a few quid to take him away.

Overrated? I'd second any respected posters view that he could have, and still could if he gets a good break, a brilliant player for Ireland

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    So what's the deal here? He's gone from pushing to get into the Chelsea senior team to playing non-league football in about two years?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    ... Crawley aren't non-league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,328 Posts
    playing in a trial game at Sheffield United today, according to twitter: https://twitter.com/search/conor+clifford+sufc

<EDIT>

Sheffield United lost 2-0: http://www.sufc.co.uk/news/article/2...rt-624989.aspx
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 28/01/2013 at 3:59 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    The clock is ticking Magic Man.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I hope he can get his career back on track and play at a decent level. After losing James McClean and Shane Duffy already in the past few months, it would be an awful shame if Clifford was finished too.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Not to mention Frankie Sutherland, who we recently lost to some kind of indeterminate stress disorder. Dark days.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    Interestin piece in star pointing out 5 of the biggest schoolboy moves to england. Cliffords move they say was a 1million package, bradley is 400k, stokes 1.1 million, rob brady 750k, masterson 1.25million

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Interestin piece in star pointing out 5 of the biggest schoolboy moves to england. Cliffords move they say was a 1million package, bradley is 400k, stokes 1.1 million, rob brady 750k, masterson 1.25million
    Have to admit I didn't know who Masterson was, one quick google turns up this article about his move to Liverpool: http://www.herald.ie/sport/other-spo...m-3186509.html
    Another player mentioned in the same article. Brandon Payne, has just signed for Celtic: http://www.celticfc.net/newsstory?item=3614
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 29/01/2013 at 2:26 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Masterson was in my brothers' school I think. From what he says (if it is him) he's a cracking player.

There was an even younger lad from Lucan last year I heard being scouted... anyone remember or know?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    I remember chatting to a scout at the Kennedy Cup the year Clifford was playing and he was the name on everybody's lips. I remember talking to a Newcastle scout who said Clifford was good, but the hottest Kennedy Cup prospect he'd ever seen had to be Christy Fagan...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I wonder if many of these clubs felt it was money well spent? Arsenal made about a million i think on stokes, utd made a million on brady, chelsea woont make any money on clifford, bradley unfortunately didnt become the player he seemed he might be so cost arsenal and fagan if he was that highly thought of must have cost utd a good bit and they got nothing for him

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast