Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Conor Clifford

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    It's been a while since an Irish player has come through and made it at a top club (John O'Shea the last?). In retrospect, given the copious number of youth's piled onto Chelsea's books, it might not have been the best move for him. He would have got more attention like Robbie and Duffer did at Wolves and Blackburn, and like Noe Baba has sought to do at Fulham.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    What sort of money would someone like him be looking for, 3k a week ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Time to come home Conor. Pats or Rovers. Prove yourself, get back across the water and then push on. Fahey's done it. Don't waste your time plumbing it around League 1 or 2.
    He's a pretty big Pats fan too. Regular match goer before heading to Chelsea

http://www.stpatsfc.com/media.php?id=2849
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    What sort of money would someone like him be looking for, 3k a week ?
    The average League 1 player earns £1,500 a week, considering that it isn't like Clifford is being inundated with contract offers, and the fact that he is having to go on trial to secure a club, I would be shocked if he got offered more than £1,000 a week.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrigaline View Post
    The average League 1 player earns £1,500 a week, considering that it isn't like Clifford is being inundated with contract offers, and the fact that he is having to go on trial to secure a club, I would be shocked if he got offered more than £1,000 a week.
    The thing is that he needs a club to offer him that, and most clubs have spent their entire budgets by now.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Scottish premier league would be a good bet. If you've got any ability whatsoever you're going to get game time and its easy enough to make a name for yourself up there and then move on to something better. That something better seems to be english league 1 though these days.
    Sure LOI is a possibility too but very rarely do you see players like Fahey who get bombed out by an english club at a young age then make it back in to the big time.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Fahey left England on his own terms to be fair.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Why does Ad have a red card?
    Did you show your spikes?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I think it was for possessing heretical views on the grannyrule.

So weren't Arsenal and Aston Villa good enough for Fahey or was he just missing the taste of fresh brewed Guinness?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    It's been a while since an Irish player has come through and made it at a top club (John O'Shea the last?). In retrospect, given the copious number of youth's piled onto Chelsea's books, it might not have been the best move for him. He would have got more attention like Robbie and Duffer did at Wolves and Blackburn, and like Noe Baba has sought to do at Fulham.
    Nothing to do with the move to Chelsea. The problem is Clifford is not good enough. In my opinion a successful youth team and reserve team career doesn't count as an indicator for future success; there are many players who have had that and haven't made it

If Clifford was a decent prospect he would be snapped up by another pl or championship team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post
    Nothing to do with the move to Chelsea. The problem is Clifford is not good enough. In my opinion a successful youth team and reserve team career doesn't count as an indicator for future success; there are many players who have had that and haven't made it

If Clifford was a decent prospect he would be snapped up by another pl or championship team.
    To be fair to Clifford he did show a bit when he was with Reid at Plymouth. When it came time to renew the loan agreement he couldn't because Plymouth were put under a transfer embargo - that was nearly 3 years ago. Had he got the second half of the season there who knows where he might be now.

As for Fahey leaving Arsenal, I know for a fact Brady was gutted when he left, and did all he could to get him back, but the fella just wasn't able to live there.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    A few of us have been having this discussion offline. The question we are trying to answer fits with the paddy madden thread also. WHy would a player who won the Youth Cup with Chelsea, be sent to the lower ends of the lowest tier in professional English football, rather than a top championship side. Maybe he never got a fair chance at a side who actually played football. For a midfielder with flair in the lower end of english football, its difficult to show that quality, what they really want at that level is someone who will get stuck in.

The correlation to the paddy madden discussion was around the fact that if you are a level above what you are playing with, particularly as a striker, the runs you make or positions you get into, would not be spotted by someone not on the same level. In cliffords case, this could be spotting a ball or whatever but the (proposed)receiving player wouldn't anticipate where he should be(best placed) positionally.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It hasn't been explicitly said but I think there are issues with his attitude. He left Notts County reportedly after having a tantrum because he wasn't getting enough games. He is physically tailor-made for League One so it's not because he wasn't able for it. I suspect he was used to being a Chelsea player and wasn't prepared to accept the same life his teammates had. No comparison with Fahey can be made - at this point in his career, they are opposites.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    A few of us have been having this discussion offline. The question we are trying to answer fits with the paddy madden thread also. WHy would a player who won the Youth Cup with Chelsea, be sent to the lower ends of the lowest tier in professional English football, rather than a top championship side. Maybe he never got a fair chance at a side who actually played football. For a midfielder with flair in the lower end of english football, its difficult to show that quality, what they really want at that level is someone who will get stuck in.

The correlation to the paddy madden discussion was around the fact that if you are a level above what you are playing with, particularly as a striker, the runs you make or positions you get into, would not be spotted by someone not on the same level. In cliffords case, this could be spotting a ball or whatever but the (proposed)receiving player wouldn't anticipate where he should be(best placed) positionally.

I don't think there is any mystery here. Go through previous youth cup teams in pl clubs and the vast majority of players don't make it to a high level.

The reason this is being discussed is Clifford is Irish, he was a youth team player at a high profile club and he was hyped up by us. However lots can change particularly between the ages of 15 and 19.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,323 Posts
    on trial at Leicester, scored the winner today for their u21's in a 2-1 win over Birmingham: http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/180...=full#anchored
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

19. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    He does have a knack for scoring crackers. He scored some beauties for Chelsea reserves and underage sides while he was there. Attitude seems to be his biggest problem as he has all the skill and technique needed to make it. I think he will need to find a club with a good manager who can get through to him.

I don't know why any young player would be let sign for a top ten EPL side as no manager has the balls to promote young players from their own youth set ups. there was a time when a few players got injured that 17 or 18 year olds got a chance now 21 or 22 year olds are barely trusted in the EPL with managers owing to inexperience. Squads in the EPL are too big with 2 or even 3 teams of second rate players at most clubs. If a player gets injured the experienced journeyman will fill in and if he gets injured they will play someone out of position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,323 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squareball View Post
    He does have a knack for scoring crackers. He scored some beauties for Chelsea reserves and underage sides while he was there. Attitude seems to be his biggest problem as he has all the skill and technique needed to make it. I think he will need to find a club with a good manager who can get through to him.

I don't know why any young player would be let sign for a top ten EPL side as no manager has the balls to promote young players from their own youth set ups. there was a time when a few players got injured that 17 or 18 year olds got a chance now 21 or 22 year olds are barely trusted in the EPL with managers owing to inexperience. Squads in the EPL are too big with 2 or even 3 teams of second rate players at most clubs. If a player gets injured the experienced journeyman will fill in and if he gets injured they will play someone out of position.
    Was looking around on some Leicester forums to see if there was anything on how he got on, came across something interesting. The head scout at Leicester, Steve Walsh, was with Pearson at Hull, and he insisted on bringing him in as part of his backroom staff when he was offered the job at Walker Stadium. Before that Walsh was the head scout there at Chelsea under Mourinho. Wonder if that's how he got the trial?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

22. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squareball View Post
    Squads in the EPL are too big with 2 or even 3 teams of second rate players at most clubs.
    Very, very true. This is why I think it should go back to only one sub from the current three. Have teams be able to name only a squad of only sixteen senior players, the rest of them u-21s. It would only work if all the different associations signed on, to lessen the advantage in European competition of one country allowing an unlimited roster size.

It will never happen, of course. Money is going to kill our great sport.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Is there really any solid basis for questioning the lads attitude? Only report seems to be of an apparent hissyfit thrown at Notts County. Seems a bit harsh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Who's the Brunette? Hubba Hubba.
    https://twitter.com/conorclifford91
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast