Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geographical Referee Appointments

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Geographical Referee Appointments

It's not a case of sour grapes here, and this isn't a rant either, because I'm sure it's happened all over the country. To give an example, during the week, in the run up to the E.A. Sports Cup Final, when the match officials were publicised, I saw them on a well known L.o.I. site. Now in my opinion, if I was the person choosing referee appointments, I would have looked at the game yesterday, and said, O.K :

(1) 1 team from Waterford

(2) 1 team from Dublin

Surely, it would be common sense to pick officials from Connacht or Ulster. By the way, yesterday's officials were :

REFEREE : Derek Tomney (Dublin)
    Assistants : Dave Wogan (Dublin), M. Gavin (???????)
    4th Official - Declan Hanney (Dublin).

That's 3 out of 4 of yesterdays officials were from Dublin. I just wonder if the shoe was on the other foot, would people complain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iorfa2MaccaJim View Post
    It's not a case of sour grapes here, and this isn't a rant either, because I'm sure it's happened all over the country. To give an example, during the week, in the run up to the E.A. Sports Cup Final, when the match officials were publicised, I saw them on a well known L.o.I. site. Now in my opinion, if I was the person choosing referee appointments, I would have looked at the game yesterday, and said, O.K :

(1) 1 team from Waterford

(2) 1 team from Dublin

Surely, it would be common sense to pick officials from Connacht or Ulster. By the way, yesterday's officials were :

REFEREE : Derek Tomney (Dublin)
    Assistants : Dave Wogan (Dublin), M. Gavin (???????)
    4th Official - Declan Hanney (Dublin).

That's 3 out of 4 of yesterdays officials were from Dublin. I just wonder if the shoe was on the other foot, would people complain.
    You mean if Bohs had lost?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iorfa2MaccaJim View Post
    It's not a case of sour grapes here
    Yes it is.
    and this isn't a rant either
    Yes it is.
    A Waterford referee would naturally favour Waterford because that's how the provincial mindset works. What rustics consistently fail to understand is that there's no equivalent attitude in Dublin (or in any quasi-civilised city.) Down the country, people would vote for a satanic alien paedophile if they knew his grandfather Benjy and he was active in the local Jay club. Dublin folk just don't think like that. They hate everyone equally.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    No point blaming the ref, as much as we want to. Bohs were miles better, simple as that.

Appointing a ref from the same place as the team allows people to have their conspiracy theories, including me

Possibly the first match where i actually wouldnt have minded one of the Kelly's
    I’m not pedantic...I’m merely overly concerned with minute details.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Only losers blame the ref! Are you a loser? This was shouted at us during a half-time team talk! I kinda agree!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Yes it is.
    Yes it is.
    A Waterford referee would naturally favour Waterford because that's how the provincial mindset works. What rustics consistently fail to understand is that there's no equivalent attitude in Dublin (or in any quasi-civilised city.) Down the country, people would vote for a satanic alien paedophile if they knew his grandfather Benjy and he was active in the local Jay club. Dublin folk just don't think like that. They hate everyone equally.
    You let yourself down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I dont buy into the whole Dublin refs shouldnt ref games involving Dublin teams, but certain refs if not all of them no matter where they come from do lean towards certain clubs. Its like they feel obliged to give the so called tradionally bigger club the benefit of the doubt. This has been going on for years, but maybe its highlighted more nowadays due to increased TV coverage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srfc1928 View Post
    I dont buy into the whole Dublin refs shouldnt ref games involving Dublin teams.
    We all know we dont have enough non-dublin refs to do that, its never gona happen

I havent a clue about Tomney, but is he considered a top premier division ref?
    I’m not pedantic...I’m merely overly concerned with minute details.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    i actually e mailed the F.A.I about the standard of refereeing and was making the same point about Dublin refs.

No reply.
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
    Muhammad Ali

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue til i die View Post
    We all know we dont have enough non-dublin refs to do that, its never gona happen

I havent a clue about Tomney, but is he considered a top premier division ref?
    why shouldn't it happen?? the Fai needs to recruit refs from around the country to make it fair.
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
    Muhammad Ali

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    well sure you lot start reff courses so!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    I have never seen Alan Kelly ref a game in the Cross,but whenever we play Dublin teams all the Refs are from Dublin. The FAI must try and get referees from other parts of the country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    I dunno, i have heard countless Dubs disagreeing with you on that one. They even went out on a limb and would swear blind that such an attitude exists in the pale. Are you saying that they are liars?
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Dublin folk just don't think like that. They hate everyone equally.
    We think the same down in Cork. We hate all jackeens equally, referees and opposition alike.

Quote Originally Posted by sheao View Post
    I have never seen Alan Kelly ref a game in the Cross,but whenever we play Dublin teams all the Refs are from Dublin.
    I have and to be honest i'd prefer some jackeen (with the exception of Richie Winter)
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts

my post

i Love everybody!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sheao View Post
    I have never seen Alan Kelly ref a game in the Cross,but whenever we play Dublin teams all the Refs are from Dublin. The FAI must try and get referees from other parts of the country.
    It's all politics. If you are either from Cork or Dublin, you have a much better chance of becoming a LOI ref straight away. Not sure why...
    You've got no fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeathDrog View Post
    It's all politics. If you are either from Cork or Dublin, you have a much better chance of becoming a LOI ref straight away. Not sure why...
    Eh.. between Greater Dublin and Co. Cork, you've accounted for close on half the population and therefore is it not likely that at least half the referees will originate from one or the other? it would be weird if they all came from Leitrim and Donegal..... Dublin and Cork, not so much.
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofstan View Post
    Eh.. between Greater Dublin and Co. Cork, you've accounted for close on half the population and therefore is it not likely that at least half the referees will originate from one or the other? it would be weird if they all came from Leitrim and Donegal..... Dublin and Cork, not so much.
    That's not the point. Say if the FAI have to recruit 2 referees from their school of excellence. They have a choice of 3, one is from Dublin, another from Cork, and the last one is from Mullingar. The 2 from Cork and Dublin will more or likely get picked.
    You've got no fans.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Iorfa2MaccaJim in thread start shock.........it won't be deleted!
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Whatever about where they come from, I thought Tomney was shocking on Saturday evening!

A waterford player was hacked down and he waved play on and Bohs get a a penalty from the resulting attack.

Conor Powell blatantly kicked Warren and the free was given against the Waterford player - I was at the game and saw it clearly but it was more blatant on the TV when I saw it yesterday and it was directly in front of the 4th official!

The standard of reffing is shocking in the LOI and from what I am hearing from the interim FAI League review that is the message coming out of the surveys as well!

They have referee assessors at every game and perhaps there should be a public system of grading refs - as in UK when a ref has a shocker he is stood down for a period of time and this is made public. There is no system here!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast