Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meetings to make one Division held.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I can't stand the constant changing of teams and formats in the league,Really annoying and it doesn't seem to serve any purpose at all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    I can't stand the constant changing of teams and formats in the league,Really annoying and it doesn't seem to serve any purpose at all
    Wash your mouth out - it has been keeping the likes of us on the internet discussing it backwards and preventing us from properly venting our general dissatisfaction with the society we live in by striking, protesting, rioting, causing general unrest and ultimately revolution. Sure CEO of the FAI is a Presidential appointment.
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.F.C. View Post
    How would you pick any of those teams??? Why not throw UCD in there sure?? All that club does is starve every other sports club in UCD of money. I have represented UCD at international level (I didn't get paid!!!)and all the members in my club had to fundraise... you won't see any players in the UCD soccer club busting their holes fundraising or paying out of their own pocket...
    Handball isn't a real sport!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    How would you pick any of those teams??? Why not throw UCD in there sure?? All that club does is starve every other sports club in UCD of money. I have represented UCD at international level (I didn't get paid!!!)and all the members in my club had to fundraise... you won't see any players in the UCD soccer club busting their holes fundraising or paying out of their own pocket...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keen2win @ 10.03 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keen2win @ 10.15 View Post
    You could say that again.
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by number16 View Post
    The 16 team format was discussed and one suggestion debated at length was to have a split after half the games into two divisions of 8.
    Oh for fcuk sake......

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    this is one of my hobby horses

20 teams is the optimum size for any league - there isn't a 10 or 12 team league anywhere in the world that has been a success

20 teams in the premier division (preferably all Ireland but still 20 teams if not)

3 teams relegated to first division (current A championship) - this is vital, any fewer and bottom half of the league would be too dead

relegation would be like being sent to purgatory but bottom half of 1st division already is like purgatory. and would affect only 2 of the current 22 teams. and getting out of new 1st division would be quite easy

teams in new premier division get to play (mostly) the same teams each year - big boost to financial stability of current 1st division teams, guaranteed home games against big sides, guaranteed derbies most years (cobh v cork, harps v derry). less boom and boost of promotion and relegation - clubs can plan long term.

downside is fewer dublin derbies - but would crowds be bigger at those games as a result if only two bohs v rovers games a season for example ? and also quality of football in the short to medium term.

teams currently fighting relegation from the PD would be mid table in the new set up and go from losing most of their games to having respectable win loss records - good for crowds.

another problem for 10 team league is number of teams from in and around dublin - with sporting fingal you could realistically have 8 out of 10 teams in the PD from this region at some point in the future if not changed. if cork had gone bust we could conceivably have had 9.

ideally increase a championship and switch to three regions to get more non-league clubs involved and keep travelling costs down. more clubs involved the more chance we have of finding clubs that can attract support and be successful. not the end of the world if clubs drop out again after a few years

finally lower requirements for facilities at grounds - let clubs like mervue utd play at their own grounds, keep costs down and don't scare current non-league teams away by demanding money spent on grounds

give it a go for 5 seasons and see how crowds are affected

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
    How did that happen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post

..would be mid table in the new set up and go from losing most of their games to having respectable win loss records - good for crowds.
    In principle i see what you you are saying throughout but very idealistic, in particular the above comment, in reality, works out to be horsesh*te as mid table safety toward the latter half of a season equals a fraction of early season support...i have no idea of a working solution myself tbh, i just hate the current set up, 12 team division was marginally better, splitting the league was/will be a disaster - so 16 teams and trying and have every place in the league worth fighting for, eg significant jumps in prize money even between say 10th and 11th, play-off access to a competition (setanta cup or similar) for lower placed teams etc. just something that keeps clubs and fans motivated as their status is secured and if they are not in the championship/cup/relegation mix.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    this is one of my hobby horses

20 teams is the optimum size for any league - there isn't a 10 or 12 team league anywhere in the world that has been a success
    Except for the SPL, the MLS and the A-League in Australia...
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    he said a success Reiteoir...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    In principle i see what you you are saying throughout but very idealistic, in particular the above comment, in reality, works out to be horsesh*te as mid table safety toward the latter half of a season equals a fraction of early season support...i have no idea of a working solution myself tbh, i just hate the current set up, 12 team division was marginally better, splitting the league was/will be a disaster - so 16 teams and trying and have every place in the league worth fighting for, eg significant jumps in prize money even between say 10th and 11th, play-off access to a competition (setanta cup or similar) for lower placed teams etc. just something that keeps clubs and fans motivated as their status is secured and if they are not in the championship/cup/relegation mix.
    I think its important for a team to be winning - not easy to drum up support when you're losing all the time. i think its better to beat a 16th place team than draw or lose to a 8th place team. if you have the 8th best team in the country, in a 20 team league you would be winning games. in a 10 team league you hardly ever do. just my theory - i think it would help, no evidence to back it up. lets try it.

i agree about mid table meaningless games. but looking at England there isn't a huge variance in size of crowds a club gets during a season. maybe we can get to that stage too where crowds stay relatively constant. with a bit of stability maybe going to games becomes more of a habitual thing - not so dependent on how team is doing

some english divisions have 24 teams and only top 6 places mean anything - we would have top 4 qualifying for europe so it isn't a huge difference

Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir View Post
    Except for the SPL, the MLS and the A-League in Australia...
    SPL is a terrible league - and the number of teams is one of the main problems IMO

MLS only started with 10 teams. it has 15 now and will have 18 soon. and it hasn't been an unqualified success - crowds haven't grown and most teams are losing money. interestingly the two healthiest teams are seattle and toronto who were expansion teams. we should be taking risks on new teams too

I doubt A-League would thrive for long if they stuck with 10 teams (new teams from melbourne and sydney will join soon) and most a-league teams have seen drops in attendance this year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keen2win View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
    its more of a sport than either of ye would be able for!
    Sporting F*ck All!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    its more of a sport than either of ye would be able for!
    Don't think Bluebeard was slagging you L.T.F.C., but I was... Handball, jeez!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    one 16 team league would be the way to go,
    and do away with this first division peice of shyte,
    most people in this country will never go out and pay to watch shytty 1st division.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123