Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: League Cup shenanigans

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Hopefully FAI learn to keep mouth shut - key here is 'probably' they gave assurances to Bohs without speaking to Derry (and given finances across league we all know why Derry need game played - even if it clashes with Champions League).

Just spotted that the week after Derry have worse to do than Bohs (pity it's a Derry example) - they play away to Linfield on the Saturday evening - then play in Cork on the Tuesday. Travel like this is a symptom of success (in Derry's case last season in qualifying for Setanta) and if league is to finish on time games must be played.

I wonder if Fenlon would have made same comments if Boh's form didn't go a bit shaky there for a few weeks.
    Last edited by refjohn; 20/09/2009 at 5:29 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by refjohn View Post
    Hopefully FAI learn to keep mouth shut - key here is 'probably' they gave assurances to Bohs without speaking to Derry (and given finances across league we all know why Derry need game played - even if it clashes with Champions League).

Just spotted that the week after Derry have worse to do than Bohs (pity it's a Derry example) - they play away to Linfield on the Saturday evening - then play in Cork on the Tuesday. Travel like this is a symptom of success (in Derry's case last season in qualifying for Setanta) and if league is to finish on time games must be played.

I wonder if Fenlon would have made same comments if Boh's form didn't go a bit shaky there for a few weeks.
    Spot on ref, let's all go to the FAI and try and get matches changed to suit us. All Bohs are being asked to do is to play a mid week game, big deal. As for Bohs supporters saying they could have had a toss of a coin, sure we all know Bohs don't have a toss of the coin, like they didn't when it came to decide what side the penalties would be taken in last years FAI cup final. Oh maybe that was another prior arrangement with the FAI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derry View Post
    Spot on ref, let's all go to the FAI and try and get matches changed to suit us. All Bohs are being asked to do is to play a mid week game, big deal. As for Bohs supporters saying they could have had a toss of a coin, sure we all know Bohs don't have a toss of the coin, like they didn't when it came to decide what side the penalties would be taken in last years FAI cup final. Oh maybe that was another prior arrangement with the FAI.
    who agreed to give them a two goal headstart in the shootout...
    I’m not pedantic...I’m merely overly concerned with minute details.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    The biggest question is why the FAI would even allow this situation to develop. Toss the coin, the winner gets the choice- simple.

Balls to these 'arrangements', they're always likely to come unstuck somehow, just follow the feckin procedure and both sides get on with it.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Again i can't see why Bohs are so upset at having to play a mid week game. In a couple of weeks Derry City have to travel to Belfast to play Linfield on a Saturday. The following Tuesday they have to travel to CORK, which, including stops will take about 8 hours there and back. Then on the Friday we are home to Rovers, this is far worse than thats being asked of Bohs yet they are having a wee fit.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Again, that's not the point. The point is the FAI are (allegedly) going back on their word, and the FAI's word was needed for Bohs to forfeit any chance of a home draw just to Delaney could help Waterford.

(And whatever about proving that, if you don't believe that's a possibility, you don't know owt about the FAI!)

FAI - Bohs, what would it take for us just to give Waterford the League Cup Final? You split the gates anyway, and I want to do them a favour.
    Bohs - OK, well sure, just put our game in Derry back a week to give us more time to prepare, and we'll call that a deal.
    FAI - Done.
    FAI (four weeks later) - Actually, remember when I said that was a done deal? Scratch that; changed my mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Again i can't see why Bohs are so upset at having to play a mid week game. In a couple of weeks Derry City have to travel to Belfast to play Linfield on a Saturday. The following Tuesday they have to travel to CORK, which, including stops will take about 8 hours there and back. Then on the Friday we are home to Rovers, this is far worse than thats being asked of Bohs yet they are having a wee fit.
    And presumably because Derry have to do it that makes it all right ! one of the biggest problems in this League is the begruding attitude to any club that has success. we see this every year with european games where clubs participating are hindered in re-arranging League games.
    The stupid argument that "tough luck it happened to us before" so prevelent from derry supporters (perhaps the REAL reason is this think this gives them some advantage ?) here simply perpetuates the crazy mentality of punishing success.
    An eye for an eye and eventually all blind.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Again, that's not the point. The point is the FAI are (allegedly) going back on their word, and the FAI's word was needed for Bohs to forfeit any chance of a home draw just to Delaney could help Waterford.

(And whatever about proving that, if you don't believe that's a possibility, you don't know owt about the FAI!)

FAI - Bohs, what would it take for us just to give Waterford the League Cup Final? You split the gates anyway, and I want to do them a favour.
    Bohs - OK, well sure, just put our game in Derry back a week to give us more time to prepare, and we'll call that a deal.
    FAI - Done.
    FAI (four weeks later) - Actually, remember when I said that was a done deal? Scratch that; changed my mind.
    And that looks about the size of it. Any talk about anything else on this thread about poor old us alone up (or down) here having to travel all the time is just irrelavant noise.

This is about the FAI (allegedly) making an agreement and then pulling out of it. Absolutely disgraceful and a shameful way for the association to act, if true. Yet another example of how unfit they are to run football in this country. Their credibility is non existent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    FAI Statement

In relation to comments in today’s media attributed to Bohemian F.C., the Football Association of Ireland would like to clarify that at no point were Bohemian F.C. given assurances regarding the date of their fixture against Derry City F.C.

Bohemian F.C. will play Waterford United F.C. in the final of the EA SPORTS Cup on Saturday, September 26th. Both clubs were originally scheduled to play league fixtures this weekend. However, due to the EA SPORTS Cup final, both clubs will now play these matches on Tuesday, September 29th.

ENDS

Eoghan Rice - Communications Executive

Football Association of Ireland
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    And a verbal agreement isn't worth the paper its written.
    A verbal agreement isn't worth the paper its NOT written on, surely?!

Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir View Post
    FAI Statement

In relation to comments in today’s media attributed to Bohemian F.C., the Football Association of Ireland would like to clarify that at no point were Bohemian F.C. given assurances regarding the date of their fixture against Derry City F.C.

Bohemian F.C. will play Waterford United F.C. in the final of the EA SPORTS Cup on Saturday, September 26th. Both clubs were originally scheduled to play league fixtures this weekend. However, due to the EA SPORTS Cup final, both clubs will now play these matches on Tuesday, September 29th.

ENDS

Eoghan Rice - Communications Executive

Football Association of Ireland
    Its all a big Rovers-Derry anti-Bohez conspiracy

Seriously though, given the FAI pontificated to all who would listen at the start of the season that the days of willy nilly unilateral fixture changes were over and that tripartite agreement would likely be needed for changes (both clubs and FAI) they've, yet again, made a rod for their own back.

Minding my words here, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bohs weren't given a wink and a nod by someone that they'd be looked after, but then when Derry found out and didn't acquiesce (and why should we, its in our interests to play them asap), the FAI may have had to live by their previously stated position. Allegedly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

FAI - Done.
    Given what we'd all like to believe about the fai this seems entirely plausible.

However surely both parties should have known that the fixture can't be changed without someone else's consent?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Minding my words here, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bohs weren't given a wink and a nod by someone that they'd be looked after, but then when Derry found out and didn't acquiesce (and why should we, its in our interests to play them asap), the FAI may have had to live by their previously stated position. Allegedly.
    That's pretty much what I'm thinking too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    However surely both parties should have known that the fixture can't be changed without someone else's consent?
    So you check before agreeing the "deal".

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the FAI forgot until it was too late. We asked them last year before the fixtures came out to not give us a game on one specific Saturday. They could have given us a home game (Friday) or 9 of 11 away games (all Fridays), but they gave us a Saturday game. The level of idiocy in there is unreal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    So you check before agreeing the "deal".

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the FAI forgot until it was too late. We asked them last year before the fixtures came out to not give us a game on one specific Saturday. They could have given us a home game (Friday) or 9 of 11 away games (all Fridays), but they gave us a Saturday game. The level of idiocy in there is unreal.
    Do the FAI not ask all clubs to submit certain "no can do" dates before the fixtures come out, and then plan the fixtures accordingly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Am I really alone in taking a little pleasure in a Derry fan having to post a link to "Driving directions to Londonderry, County Londonderry, UK"? It's like I don't know this site any more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Am I really alone in taking a little pleasure in a Derry fan having to post a link to "Driving directions to Londonderry, County Londonderry, UK"? It's like I don't know this site any more.
    So caught up in an anti Bohs/ Pat Fenlon rant that they probobly did'nt even realise ?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    And presumably because Derry have to do it that makes it all right ! one of the biggest problems in this League is the begruding attitude to any club that has success. we see this every year with european games where clubs participating are hindered in re-arranging League games.
    The stupid argument that "tough luck it happened to us before" so prevelent from derry supporters (perhaps the REAL reason is this think this gives them some advantage ?) here simply perpetuates the crazy mentality of punishing success.
    An eye for an eye and eventually all blind.
    There is nothing begrudging about it, It's the fact you think the likes of Derry will get some sort of advantage. You're away to Waterford at the weekend, and then you have to play Derry City mid week. How is that an advantage to Derry City. Every team has to play mid week games, yet when Bohs are told to do so, they cry foul. As for your belief of punishing success. Sure for the last four years you have been making a mockery of the LC as it was only for minnows, although to win the treble which was every Bohs supporters dream at the start of the season, you have to win the LC. So treat it as a minnow's cup and send your 3rd team to play the game. Your dreams of the treble are for another day.
    Last edited by MariborKev; 21/09/2009 at 1:44 PM. Reason: Mod Note: Abusive langauage removed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    There is nothing begrudging about it, It's the fact you think the likes of Derry will get some sort of advantage. You're away to Waterford at the weekend, and then you have to play Derry City mid week. How the f*** is that an advantage to Derry City. Every team has to play mid week games, yet when Bohs are told to do so, they cry foul. As for your belief of punishing success. Sure for the last four years you have been making a mockery of the LC as it was only for minnows, although to win the treble which was every Bohs supporters dream at the start of the season, you have to win the LC. So treat it as a minnow's cup and send your 3rd team to play the game. Your dreams of the treble are for another day. You are so far up your a*** in terms of importence.
    Obviously the schools provided by HMG are not as good at the old reading as schools down here, the issue is T-R-A-V-E-L not the number of games played (do try reading the preceeding posts, it helps)
    Amazed at the St Paul like conversion of Derry fans over the League Cup (which has now morphed into a minnow cup - as soon as they are out after years of (literally) banging the drum about it). For most fans it still rates below the League and FAI Cup but like most fans I want my team to win any/every trophy possible and do not see why the club should have to sacrifice one or the other, if that is self importance then mea culpa but how many fans would honestly have a different view ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Right lads,

This thread is now descending into childishness. Debate the issues, without personal abuse.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast