Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAI & Drogs stadium

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

FAI & Drogs stadium

Did Frank And Irene ever install those extra seats and other ground improvements at United Park which were a proviso to them recieving a Premier Division Licence?

Looks like the could be getting a new ground with Frank And Irene in tow, anyway.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...a-1888724.html
    A transient, horrible, fantastic dream,
    Wherein is nothing yet all things do seem:
    From which we're wakened by a friendly nudge
    Of our bedfellow Death, and cry: "O fudge!"

Ambrose Bierce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buile Shuibhne View Post
    Did Frank And Irene ever install those extra seats and other ground improvements at United Park which were a proviso to them recieving a Premier Division Licence?

Looks like the could be getting a new ground with Frank And Irene in tow, anyway.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...a-1888724.html
    Well when we had the FAI's compliance officer used the excuse of the planning permission for their new stadium beside the M1 being with An Bord Phanala , for inaction in Drogheda's case then it's clear that the club is clearly being looked after.

It really is a laughable situation. Drogheda nearly went bust 20 years ago and to get them out of trouble the FAI bought a dump of a stadium it didn't want or didn't need. It appears that Drogheda have the right to sell the stadium again and use the money to buy another stadium yet the FAI are expected to stump up to carry out the improvements required to keep the club in the Premier Division. Cobh fans have every right to be angry. The FAI should tell Drogheda they are on their own in relation to meeting the Licensing requirements.
    Neale Fenn on retiring: 'I think once you finish you might as well finish rather than making all sorts of comebacks.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts

my post

will Frank and Irene finnish flancare for me too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SMorgan View Post
    Well when we had the FAI's compliance officer used the excuse of the planning permission for their new stadium beside the M1 being with An Bord Phanala , for inaction in Drogheda's case then it's clear that the club is clearly being looked after.

It really is a laughable situation. Drogheda nearly went bust 20 years ago and to get them out of trouble the FAI bought a dump of a stadium it didn't want or didn't need. It appears that Drogheda have the right to sell the stadium again and use the money to buy another stadium yet the FAI are expected to stump up to carry out the improvements required to keep the club in the Premier Division. Cobh fans have every right to be angry. The FAI should tell Drogheda they are on their own in relation to meeting the Licensing requirements.
    I know its gas, but as long as it's written on paper then I suppose they can't exactly ignore it.

This stadium thing is pie in the sky anyway, I can't see anything happening soon, so I wouldn't worry too much on what we are or we're not getting.

The FAI putting seats etc into Utd Park is apparently happening next year, this I was told a few months ago. I'll believe it when I see it.
    Forzadrogs.....A blog by a Drog with an opinion!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drogman. View Post
    The FAI putting seats etc into Utd Park is apparently happening next year, this I was told a few months ago. I'll believe it when I see it.
    It shouldn't be a problem in the First Division. Only joking, sort of. Have you any idea who the UK investors might be?

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    It seems Sean Connolly has settled quickly into his new role at Drogheda.

It would be great for the club if there was any substance in this story, but I suspect its more red herrings to divert attention away from the current ground licencing issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SMorgan View Post

Listen will you calm yourself down for a minute .Your slobbering away about stuff you nothing about and have only mentioned half the story .The " PROPOSED " development on the north side of town is between Drogheda borough council , Drogheda united fc and the fai are involved because they own united pk . Why would cobh be annoyed at this ? You werent complaining when you got massive grants to do up your own kip ? This is the best way forward for the club to do something with the local authority without any involvement from buisinessmen and developers . The fai promised to do up utd pk but didnt and wont imo . A move out of utd pk is the only way the club is going to progress both on and off the field , a multi sports complex would be great for Drogheda and great for Louth in general .The fai made a decision 20 years ago to buy utd pk and they have to be involved with the sale of it , and any sale has to lead to a purchase of a new staduim for DUFC . Again schock horror ! The FAI are trying to promote and help a club to move staduim ! How dare they FFS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eelmonster View Post
    It shouldn't be a problem in the First Division. Only joking, sort of. Have you any idea who the UK investors might be?
    Nah, don't know. I've heard about this a while ago though, something to do with the directors.

To answer the question, I don't know what involvment Connolly has had but this thing has been going on well before he came on the scene.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ndrog View Post
    Listen will you calm yourself down for a minute .Your slobbering away about stuff you nothing about and have only mentioned half the story .The " PROPOSED " development on the north side of town is between Drogheda borough council , Drogheda united fc and the fai are involved because they own united pk . Why would cobh be annoyed at this ? You werent complaining when you got massive grants to do up your own kip ? This is the best way forward for the club to do something with the local authority without any involvement from buisinessmen and developers . The fai promised to do up utd pk but didnt and wont imo . A move out of utd pk is the only way the club is going to progress both on and off the field , a multi sports complex would be great for Drogheda and great for Louth in general .The fai made a decision 20 years ago to buy utd pk and they have to be involved with the sale of it , and any sale has to lead to a purchase of a new staduim for DUFC . Again schock horror ! The FAI are trying to promote and help a club to move staduim ! How dare they FFS
    I guess the point is that the FAI aren't exactly even-handed on which clubs they help promote and move stadium.

Though the decision to buy United Park was taken 20 years ago (does anyone know the exact year ?), so as they say "we are where we are". As owners, the FAI have to be involved in any plans for United Park.

It's just a shame that more clubs didn't get bailed out by the FAI years back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Im at odds as to think where there is a greenfield site big enough within Drogheda Borough? If not its back to LCC and they weren't too enamoured with previous stadia proposals - i suspect any Council involvement would be purely to iron out planning issues. Any financial assistance would outrageous(not because its Drogheda) as Louth Local Authorities are not exactly rolling in it at the moment or even beforehand!
    As for grants nDrog, anything recieved by Dundalk FC was from the Sports Council via sports capital funding as applied for, so you are correct there was no complaining! I would imagine that there would be plenty of dissent among the County's businessmen if their rates were going toward what would be perceived by many as unnecessary expenditure. The best of luck but of all the land swap deals i've seen proposed the only one that has become reality is the Crowne Plaza at DKIT and i think that was more under PPP.
    When Dundalk toyed a move out to the abortive Dundalk Arena development at Carnbeg wasn't Sean Connolly CEO at the time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    I guess the point is that the FAI aren't exactly even-handed on which clubs they help promote and move stadium.

Though the decision to buy United Park was taken 20 years ago (does anyone know the exact year ?)
    Vaguely i think it was 1994 for a non index linked 30k - good bit of business by Drogheda at the time.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Im at odds as to think where there is a greenfield site big enough within Drogheda Borough?

In terms of greenfield sites, the Nothern envirns plan have plenty of space. Whne you hit Drogheda on the old N1 and come to the first roundabout this is the point in which a ringroad is to be build and it is to open up all the land in that area 0- talk going on for years at this point and IMo this was a news story of something that may or may not happen but if it does it is years away - slow story week for the DI.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Is it anything to do wuth this tender out yesterday to redevelop Lourdes stadium (wherever that may be)?

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/sh...x?ID=SEP128255

edit;just noticed it's close enought to utd Park- seems a runner in principle?
    Last edited by bad mongo; 17/09/2009 at 1:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mongo View Post
    Is it anything to do wuth this tender out yesterday to redevelop Lourdes stadium (wherever that may be)?

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/sh...x?ID=SEP128255
    No the Lourdes Stadium will be refurbished with a 4 lane(dont ask...unless the plan has been amended since original planning) running track. Football was played there in the past i think - do not know why there hasnt been some sort of link up with DUFC. I have never been at the Lourdes Stadium, it my not be suitabe??
    I have ye Sean though I was under the impression that the Northern Enviorns plan was currently LCC land that may be taken into Drogheda Borough in due course, but initially any submissions would be to LCC - I'm open to correction. The relevance of course being that a submission to the Borough may be looked at more favourably due to other sporting organisation influence within LCC
    Last edited by Nesta99; 17/09/2009 at 2:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Im at odds as to think where there is a greenfield site big enough within Drogheda Borough? If not its back to LCC and they weren't too enamoured with previous stadia proposals - i suspect any Council involvement would be purely to iron out planning issues. Any financial assistance would outrageous(not because its Drogheda) as Louth Local Authorities are not exactly rolling in it at the moment or even beforehand!
    As for grants nDrog, anything recieved by Dundalk FC was from the Sports Council via sports capital funding as applied for, so you are correct there was no complaining! I would imagine that there would be plenty of dissent among the County's businessmen if their rates were going toward what would be perceived by many as unnecessary expenditure. The best of luck but of all the land swap deals i've seen proposed the only one that has become reality is the Crowne Plaza at DKIT and i think that was more under PPP.
    When Dundalk toyed a move out to the abortive Dundalk Arena development at Carnbeg wasn't Sean Connolly CEO at the time?

Dont want to get into this at this stage tbh , i think it was a stupid time to publish an article about a staduim .We are fighting for our lives and all focus should be on keeping us in the division .As for the huge sports grants you recieved fair play , good old Dermot what doing his best for " ALL " in the wee county

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I wouldnt believe a word that comes out of Sean Connollys mouth. He should be banned from soccer in Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ndrog View Post
    As for the huge sports grants you recieved fair play
    Yes and the bigger the grant the more Dundalk had to raise to draw it down i.e. 20% of what i believe has been a total of 1.4mil since 2005-not insignificant but would hardly go too far either so huge isnt a term i would use...and nearly killed us due to the use it or lose it conditions! It necessitated the sale of a major asset in Hiney Park too, so a far from ideal easy money scenario!! Even if Dermot Ahern did hold sway, and im not sure that he is as influential as Drogheda people like to think(hospital for example) is he any different from S Kirk et al getting the Darver development for mid Louth? He would hardly be the first person to look after his home. Maybe you should spend more time getting your own elected reps to get the finger and get working than looking forlornly up the M1.

Anyway the 20% self finance has often been a stumbling block when clubs apply for grant aid and our CEO at the time 'ahem' rewarded himself handsomely with a big clap on the back for the skilled, seamless, professional manner in which the sale of our training ground, drawing of grant, and subsequent laying of the new pitch was conducted. Actually you may have your own nice new bouncy castle to play with soon...
    Last edited by Nesta99; 17/09/2009 at 10:59 PM.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    ..... our CEO at the time 'ahem' rewarded himself handsomely with a big clap on the back for the skilled, seamless, professional manner in which the sale of our training ground, drawing of grant, and subsequent laying of the new pitch was conducted. Actually you may have your own nice new bouncy castle to play with soon...
    Already being proposed by the charming new CEO at Drogheda, according to this weeks Drogheda Indo:

Wednesday September 16 2009

NEW general manager Sean Connolly says it is 'crucial' for the club's future that Drogheda United win their fight against relegation this season.....

.....Connolly is, perhaps, best known locally for overseeing the development of the artificial pitch in Dundalk and would consider a similar type surface for Drogheda in the future.
    'I have not even mentioned it in Drogheda at this stage, but it's something that one would want to consider if we go to a new stadium.
    'In Dundalk it makes money and the spin-off is twofold because there is a bar down there which benefits after matches.'
    http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/s...t-1887966.html

Some cynics would suggest that he knows of one thats been "lost" in Dublin Port this last few years!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    No the Lourdes Stadium will be refurbished with a 4 lane(dont ask...unless the plan has been amended since original planning) running track. Football was played there in the past i think - do not know why there hasnt been some sort of link up with DUFC. I have never been at the Lourdes Stadium, it my not be suitabe??
    I have ye Sean though I was under the impression that the Northern Enviorns plan was currently LCC land that may be taken into Drogheda Borough in due course, but initially any submissions would be to LCC - I'm open to correction. The relevance of course being that a submission to the Borough may be looked at more favourably due to other sporting organisation influence within LCC
    Drogheda used to play at Lourdes Stadium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Already being proposed by the charming new CEO at Drogheda, according to this weeks Drogheda Indo:

http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/s...t-1887966.html

Some cynics would suggest that he knows of one thats been "lost" in Dublin Port this last few years!
    I doubt that a plastic pitch would be put in if this stadium thing is a runner. Consdiering it'll need approvement from the Borough Council could be used for other sports then I doubt putting in a pitch like that will suit everyone.

Latest I've heard is that the proposed area is on that northern envirions plan, just where that ring road is supposed to go from the M1 to the port. Apparently it's supposed to like a 100 year lease from the council, probably something similar to Rovers and Tallaght.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast