Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe Miller leaves Dundalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    How many loyal staff of the club hear did he run out before we all got sense.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quadruple1928 View Post
    From what i know Connor was told by one of his squad that Miller was saying he(Connor) hadn't a clue! Wouldn't be surprised if Miller will be manager next year.
    It seems that there is a smidgen of truth in this. When any manager is being undermined by his assistant, there is only one likely outcome - hence Joe Miller is resting in Scotland.

The general consensus at Dundalk is that Sean Connor will be offered an extension to his rolling contract for next season. Even if he has some flaws, he will have achieved beyond year 1 expectations if Dundalk finish the season in the current 5th place

Quote Originally Posted by Da Real Rover View Post
    How many loyal staff of the club hear did he run out before we all got sense.
    I dont know about staff turnover at Sligo - but he was clearly able to take in the players to Sligo to get promotion, and replace them the following year to improve the squad to cup semis and finish 5th in the premier.

Any comparisons on "loyal" staff at Sligo and Joe Miller would be somewhat spurious as Joe operated part-time at Dundalk for about 9 months.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Are contract extensions a little early to be looking for just yet, and i wouldn't be to sure at the consensus that a top five finish will be deemed acceptable. With the budget provided to Mr Connor this season a fifth place finish some would say would be the least to expect with possibly pushing on for a europa league place next season.

To review the season which i believe the board will do many of Mr Connors problems will be brought to light, early season signings that brought plenty of riddicule to club, players behaviour towards training and playing, a situation the board had to sort out themselves after the manager either couldn't or wouldn't and rightly or wrongly cost the club a lot of money.

The wage cut, fiasco how blameless is the manager after he claims to organise these games against Celtic and Barcelona X1 and uses the expected funding to bring in new signings yet almost immediatly after the signings the friendly matches fall by the way side, no extra income comes into the club, how did he think the board would re-act to this, though the board will have to hold the hands up and take their share of responsibility.

So add these with the mess made of the A championship team and it may be a bit early to talk of contract extensions, just ask John Gill if he thought he was getting an extension. However although Joe Miller made a significant contribution to the team his attempts to undermine the manager led to the only option available to him and that was to resign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whinnie01 View Post
    Are contract extensions a little early to be looking for just yet....
    It's only seven weeks to the last league game of the season. With so many contracts due to expire then across the league, any club not looking at next season at this point are already running late.

...... and i wouldn't be to sure at the consensus that a top five finish will be deemed acceptable. With the budget provided to Mr Connor this season a fifth place finish some would say would be the least to expect with possibly pushing on for a europa league place next season.
    The club and the vast majority of Dundalk supporters would find a 5th place above expectations - stated pre-season goal was to consolidate premier status.The player budget is healthy, but lower then all four clubs higher in the table.

I imagine that expectations for next season would be greater then "possibly pushing on for a europa league place", if a similar budget can be maintained.

To review the season which i believe the board will do many of Mr Connors problems will be brought to light, early season signings that brought plenty of riddicule to club, players behaviour towards training and playing, a situation the board had to sort out themselves after the manager either couldn't or wouldn't and rightly or wrongly cost the club a lot of money.

The wage cut, fiasco how blameless is the manager after he claims to organise these games against Celtic and Barcelona X1 and uses the expected funding to bring in new signings yet almost immediatly after the signings the friendly matches fall by the way side, no extra income comes into the club, how did he think the board would re-act to this, though the board will have to hold the hands up and take their share of responsibility.
    Connor certainly gambled on the O'Callaghan signing, and must take responsibility for the player indiscipline issues.

Any criticism regarding the wage cuts and friendly games postponements doesn't lie at Sean Connors door.

However although Joe Miller made a significant contribution to the team his attempts to undermine the manager led to the only option available to him and that was to resign.
    I think Joe Millers contribution has consistently been over-estimated, effectively being a 3 day a week part-timer. If Joe Miller was trying to undermine the manager, then clearly both of them could not stay. I think it is significant that it was Miller who departed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Have any of the dundalk fans here,apart from ezekial got an opinion on the spoofer?would just be interested to know what ye think...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roversforever View Post
    Have any of the dundalk fans here,apart from ezekial got an opinion on the spoofer?would just be interested to know what ye think...
    This is probably starting to sway somewhat off topic, and maybe a seperate thread is more appropriate, but....

If you checkout orielweb.com you will be able to see for yourself - opinions have swayed with results, with lots of negativity about Sean Connor up to early June (9th place after 15 matches) followed by dramatic reappraisals when there was a big tunraround in performances and results. The general consenus is very positive, and if the board rollover his contract, I think it would meet with broad approval from Dundalk fans.

For what it is worth, I have stated my own opinion here many times - that Sean Connor has many flaws, but he has done a good job to date at Dundalk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    he seems a good manager but a hard person to work with?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I dont know about staff turnover at Sligo - but he was clearly able to take in the players to Sligo to get promotion, and replace them the following year to improve the squad to cup semis and finish 5th in the premier.
    Thats absolute rubbish.
    It was thanks to Gerry Cassidy that we got the players we did and had sweet fukc all to do with the hunchback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Thats absolute rubbish.
    It was thanks to Gerry Cassidy that we got the players we did and had sweet fukc all to do with the hunchback.
    I'd have to agree with this. It was Joe who brought in our Scottish lads and he was always the one the players ran to when celebrating a goal. But I honestly can't have any complaints with Sean.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Thats absolute rubbish.
    Apologies - I didn't realise that Gerry Cassidy was in charge of player signings. Is it still the same set-up now - does Paul Cook (or Rob McDonald before him) have any role in what players are signed or released?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Apologies - I didn't realise that Gerry Cassidy was in charge of player signings. Is it still the same set-up now - does Paul Cook (or Rob McDonald before him) have any role in what players are signed or released?
    Gerry Cassidy scouts players for Rovers in England for years.
    Makes suggestions to the club and those suggestions are then acted upon by the management.
    Thanks to Cassidy Rovers have had a constant stream of talent coming from across the water.
    Its really a necessity since we dont have the Dublin players pool to draw from.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Gerry Cassidy scouts players for Rovers in England for years.
    Makes suggestions to the club and those suggestions are then acted upon by the management.
    Thanks to Cassidy Rovers have had a constant stream of talent coming from across the water.
    Its really a necessity since we dont have the Dublin players pool to draw from.
    Gerry Cassidy seems like an important part of your clubs scouting network. It still appears to me that your successive managers are ultimately responsible for the success or failure of their signings, irrespective of what recommendations they get from various scouts.

Your comments remind me of some who were eager to credit Joe Miller with the mid season revival at Dundalk, and blame Sean Connor for the early season form

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    I'm not a huge fan of some of Connor's signings to be honest. How Michael McGinlay is still a Dundalk player is beyond me. It stinks of 'jobs for the lads' to me. Mansaram is another one who would fall into that category. He keeps these guys at the club but lets Michael Synnott go on loan to Shels even though he was one of our better players in the games he played in.. Having said that, I'm happy with a 5th place finish and I think he's done a good job. Signings like Michael Daly and Chris Turner help in cancelling out the more questionable ones..
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    Having said that, I'm happy with a 5th place finish
    You do realise there's still 8 games left and Galway are just 3 points behind you?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    You do realise there's still 8 games left and Galway are just 3 points behind you?
    I'm pretty sure what he means is that he'd be happy if they finished the season in the position they're in now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    6 points after next friday

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of some of Connor's signings to be honest. How Michael McGinlay is still a Dundalk player is beyond me. It stinks of 'jobs for the lads' to me.
    I remember a TV interview when he was at Bohs and referring to McGinlay he said "he's my mate's....no, my best mate's son"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monutdfc View Post
    I remember a TV interview when he was at Bohs and referring to McGinlay he said "he's my mate's....no, my best mate's son"
    yep, seanie does have a habit of dragging the same players around with him. Part of his problems at Bohs related to perceived favouritism among the first team and a freezing out of certain other players. notwithstanding that some of them (in his cliche) are good players and I suspect most Dundalk fans would be happy if they finished in the current spot in the League.next season may be a different story however.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    no, Dundalk will be second next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I don't Like Sean Connor , never have never will. I was all in favour of having either Alan Matthews or Stephen Henderson as manager this season.
    Our team is doing pretty well , I'm happy with the players performance , but not happy with the ill-discipline( I've no doubt in my mind it comes from S.C)
    Was sad to here Joe Miller go , I was rather hoping he would take over from next season.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast