Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trapp aware of domestic league players shock!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Trapp aware of domestic league players shock!

Piece in the on -line Irish Indo,well deserved for Powell ,if true.

Bohs ace Powell in frame to fill troublesome left-back berth

By Daniel McDonnell

Thursday September 10 2009

BOHEMIANS defender Conor Powell is in Giovanni Trapattoni's thoughts after the Italian admitted that the Dubliner is in the long-term frame for the problematic left-back position.

Trapattoni made his first appearance at a League of Ireland game last month when he watched the league champions stroll to a 5-0 win over Galway United at Dalymount Park. He says he identified two players in that match who he reckons are good enough for future international recognition. Although he refused to name either of them, it's understood the pair are Powell and centre-half Ken Oman.

It was Trapattoni who brought the matter up in his discussions about Ireland's left-back dilemma with the ageing Kevin Kilbane in situ and Eddie Nolan the first-choice alternative .

Ex-Belvedere youth Powell (22) has been in fine form for Bohs this season and impressed Irish goalkeeping coach Alan Kelly when he came to watch Brian Murphy in the Champions League meeting with Red Bull Salzburg.

The Portmarnock lad has been on the radar of several cross-channel clubs, with Wolves among the admirers. Former Gypsies star Stephen Ward -- now at Molineux -- also got a mention from Trap.

"If we go to South Africa, we need two squads, two teams," he says. "We have Kilbane at left-back and it's important. Now we have Nolan, we see that he is improving and I think that he can do better. There are other players, we have Ward also and I saw Bohemians. I say to Marco (Tardelli) at that game, they have two players who could be good enough to come with us."

Oman (27) has spent his entire career in the League of Ireland and primarily with Bohs, although he enjoyed a successful stint with Derry City. The Dublin native was out of the double-winning side for periods of last year, but has enjoyed a resurgence in his fortunes in this campaign.

- Daniel McDonnell

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Baby steps. Lets see if it actually results in a call-up while one of them are still in this league. Credit where credit is due at least they have made the effort to watch these players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Just wondering why Oman is mentioned? He's never gotten even a hint of a shout (a whisper?) before, and it's not like he was under the kosh for 90 mins in a 5-0 win over Galway.
    Powell has real potential, though. I'd love to see him called up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Don't rate Powell, well not that i don't rate him, he is alright but just don't think he is up to that level and i think there are much better players at Bohs.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Dean View Post
    Baby steps. Lets see if it actually results in a call-up while one of them are still in this league. Credit where credit is due at least they have made the effort to watch these players.
    Yeah he is only like Oireland manager!

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers Maniac View Post
    Don't rate Powell, well not that i don't rate him, he is alright but just don't think he is up to that level and i think there are much better players at Bohs.
    There is no doubt that there are many fine players at Bohs - but Conor Powell is easily the best left back I have seen in the LoI this season (honourable mention to Danny Murphy)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Powell is a fine player, but I'd have Danny Murphy ahead of him every single time.

Even Cork City bias aside, Danny Murphy was the answer when we had trouble in the same position under Kerr. Either is a better option than Kilbane in the position in my opinion, no offence to KK [I think I'm one of the few fans he has], but he's just not a defender as far as I'm concerned.

I would doubt if Oman was the other player.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Powell seems to have improved dramatically this season, he broke through a couple of years ago but looked very raw defensively and a bit too light. This year he looks much more composed and I though he was outstanding for Bohs at home to Salzburg. He was rumored to be very close to a move to Wolves when Connor was in charge of Bohs, only to be dropped for the game McCarthy came to watch him in. It's inevitable that he'll move across to a Premiership or Championship team, most likely at the end of the season, if the under 23 tournament starts before then he should get another chance to impress in that.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Good to see Powell get a mention, but what about Seamus Coleman? Has he completely fallen off the radar since his move to Everton? I know he is a right back, but just wondering is he registering with the Irish management these days? Also seriously doubt Oman could have been the other player, I mean, how much work did he have to do in a 5-0 romp?? I'd be more inclined to think it was Glen Cronin who caught the eye. Have serious difficulty in accepting that Danny Murphy is a better full back though tiktok . . . .
    Last edited by WoodquayBoy; 10/09/2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: sp
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    There is no doubt that there are many fine players at Bohs - but Conor Powell is easily the best left back I have seen in the LoI this season (honourable mention to Danny Murphy)
    Murphy hands down for me as well, it's not that i don't think he is decent and probably 2nd best left back in the country playing, but not 'full' international class. If Chris Butler was fit and playing, Powell would be only third best in the league, i could not have the 3rd best left back (IMO) in a league with a mix of full time and part time clubs playing for the national side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    Good to see Powell get a mention, but what about Seamus Coleman? Has he completely fallen off the radar since his move to Everton? I know he is a right back, but just wondering is he registering with the Irish management these days? Also seriously doubt Oman could have been the other player, I mean, how much work did he have to do in a 5-0 romp?? I'd be more inclined to think it was Glen Cronin who caught the eye. Have serious difficulty in accepting that Danny Murphy is a better full back though tiktok . . . .
    Coleman has been injured nearly since he went over, played really well pre-season then got injured in the pre-season tour of the US. Due back training in the next week. Probably more of a right back as well although Everton did switch him left back for the second half of a pre-season game where he done well.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers Maniac View Post
    Murphy hands down for me as well, it's not that i don't think he is decent and probably 2nd best left back in the country playing, but not 'full' international class. If Chris Butler was fit and playing, Powell would be only third best in the league, i could not have the 3rd best left back (IMO) in a league with a mix of full time and part time clubs playing for the national side.
    3rd best. You're having a laugh arent you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    Have serious difficulty in accepting that Danny Murphy is a better full back though tiktok . . . .
    We'll agree to disagree so because it's completely obvious to me
    [not knocking at all Powell by the way, just think Murphy's better]
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Fair enough!!
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok View Post
    We'll agree to disagree so because it's completely obvious to me
    [not knocking at all Powell by the way, just think Murphy's better]
    Would have agreed with "murphy better left full" argument up until this season. I felt powell was too small and light but to be fair this season he has improved dramatically. Going forward he is as good as any full backs in the Irish squad and he has improved dramatically in his defending.
    Would not get too excited in Trapp statement as I was still looking for the "he needs to go to England" line somewhwere in his comments

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Have my doubts. He got skinned a couple of times by the mighty Brian Cash at the Showgrounds recently.
    Hardly the form of an Irish International!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dong2008 View Post
    Have my doubts. He got skinned a couple of times by the mighty Brian Cash at the Showgrounds recently.
    Hardly the form of an Irish International!
    That settles it then - Cashie for Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    To be fair I think Bohs are blessed with 2 of the best full backs in the league. Both Mark Rossiter and Conor Powell are excellent players imo and, would both be better options than Kilbane at present, as would Murphy.
    I also like the look of Conneely (sp?) the Galway right back, although very light weight he will most definitely be a good option in future.
    Although the league is full of fine players, I highly doubt that any of the players will feature, especially when Trap had an ideal opportunity to give any of them a run out on Tuesday night in Limerick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    im surprised the other player isnt Shelley - majestic this season from what ive seen and read.

To the people saying Powell isnt international class, that of course might be the case but are Kevin Kilbane and Eddie Nolan international class left backs? Cos they are the only other options ahead of him. When your quality is that short, then players playing in lesser leagues may be deemed international class.

Either way, i wont be holding my breath on any league player getting a call up anytime soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    If he is called up, he'll be snatched up by some mid-table Championship side before the start of next season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast