Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who is your money on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Try the cancer society website, they had some to sell and Ive heard rumours they might have a tiny number left.

Or else try Dalyer for the Bohs pink one, supposedly they have loads left and are nowhere close to selling out their allocation ...

bhs
    Cheers bhs. I'll have a look here. I've seen the Boh's one. I want the Shams one however.

Thanks for that however.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    No play off will re required, this only happened in 1993 as the rules at the time were not in place for GD. And what a joke that was with a 3 way play off.

The usual Goal Diff rule will apply if both finish on level points.

Good chance it might happen as it did in the SPL only 4 yrs or so ago.
    Actually it also happened in 1971, when Rovers were robbed in a play off against Cork Hibs, score was 1-1 , Leech scored a legitimate goal when the Hibs keeper Joe 'redneck' O'Grady threw the ball in the air to take a kick out, and Leech flicked the ball over his head and tapped it into the empty net (very similar to what Best had done a few weeks earlier to Gordon Banks in Windsor Park)... would of been then 2-1 for Rovers but Hibs got instead got a second and then a very late third as rovers pressed for the equaliser....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Actually it also happened in 1971, when Rovers were robbed in a play off against Cork Hibs, score was 1-1 , Leech scored a legitimate goal when the Hibs keeper Joe 'redneck' O'Grady threw the ball in the air to take a kick out, and Leech flicked the ball over his head and tapped it into the empty net (very similar to what Best had done a few weeks earlier to Gordon Banks in Windsor Park)... would of been then 2-1 for Rovers but Hibs got instead got a second and then a very late third as rovers pressed for the equaliser....
    surely not legitimate if the ref disallowed it ? Anyway, the point was that since the introduction of goal difference the likelihood of a playoff is more remote.
    gotta say though, it would be fun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Whoever wins the Rovers Bohs game coming up will win the league.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomkerry View Post
    Whoever wins the Rovers Bohs game coming up will win the league.
    And if its a draw?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Was this also around the time that two other clubs, I`m thinking a Cork one and Waterford ? drew in a lge play off, then one of them refused to play the replay ?

Before my time.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcC View Post
    And if its a draw?
    Then they'll obviously share the title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Was this also around the time that two other clubs, I`m thinking a Cork one and Waterford ? drew in a lge play off, then one of them refused to play the replay ?

Before my time.
    Don't ever recall anything like that....must of been even before my time

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Ah for feck sake, that was back in the '40s!
    Anyone who remembers that is using the big type version of foot.ie with speech.

1941 it was, us and Cork United, our players refused to play the play-off until they were guaranteed bonuses by the management I think.
    Possibly the club were hoping for the FAI to put the squeeze on the players in the dispute, but instead Cork got awarded the title and we resigned in protest and stayed away in a huff for 4 seasons!
    Last edited by stann; 09/09/2009 at 3:31 PM.
    more bass

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Dodge recommended a book on LoI stats; has all the league results from 1921 to 2005. I went and got it, and one of the things it mentions is that the play-off in 1995 (ish?) was because there were more than two teams level on points. Don't know if that holds, but it implied that if there were only two teams, goal difference would have counted.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Actually it also happened in 1971, when Rovers were robbed in a play off against Cork Hibs, score was 1-1 , Leech scored a legitimate goal when the Hibs keeper Joe 'redneck' O'Grady threw the ball in the air to take a kick out, and Leech flicked the ball over his head and tapped it into the empty net (very similar to what Best had done a few weeks earlier to Gordon Banks in Windsor Park).
    I think you'll find that happened in a League match against Waterford, prior to the Windsor game. Leech did have a goal (maybe 2?) disallowed in the play off though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I think the momentum is with Rovers at this stage. They've got Bohs and Cork at home while Bohs have Rovers and Cork away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osborne View Post
    I think you'll find that happened in a League match against Waterford, prior to the Windsor game. Leech did have a goal (maybe 2?) disallowed in the play off though.
    We're both kinda right....as you say it happened in a league match in Milltown, however it was against Cork Hibs late in the season, as a result of the decision going against us that game finished 0-0...thus robbing us of the league... although that year we actually blew it in our last home game...we were leading Sligo 1-0 with only a few minutes left... lost 2-1 with the legendary David Pugh scoring their winner

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123