Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An Post Promotion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    I'd first hand experience in this promotion last night...... Shocking, What a shambles it really is ! It makes no sense what so ever to let so many people into games free of charge, All the people using then where regulars who normally pay into games. 55 Adults and 50 Children free of charge, that was over a third of the crowd last night.

I actually had 2 guys come through who are season tickets holders saying they used the promotion leaflet because they thought the club would get some money from it.

I've worked with the guy and he is bang on and only wants whats best for the League, but what in the name of **** was Noel Mooney thinking off with this promotion ?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Apparently his thinking/hope is that An Post are going to come on board as major sponsors of the league. Whether that ever happens remains to be seen.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    It's great according to Noel Mooney: http://www.eleven-a-side.com/loi/news.asp?n=37400
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    It's great according to Noel Mooney: http://www.eleven-a-side.com/loi/news.asp?n=37400
    Good old Noel. I am sure the clubs who have lost out on valuable gate receipts consider it great.
    Roddy Collins, the biggest <insert as appropiate> in Irish Football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    Mooney could talk up a stadium fire, and probably would if it occurred as a result of a league promotion. He's just doing his job. We complained here and at fans forums about the FAI not fighting negative press before.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo69 View Post
    All the people using then where regulars who normally pay into games. 55 Adults and 50 Children free of charge, that was over a third of the crowd last night.
    This promotional scheme was a nonsense of the highest order.

In the quotes from the Irish Daily Star/Eleven-a-side piece Mooney makes no mention of any role for this promo in a strategy to attract An Post as league sponsors, but only mentions attracting a new layer of support.

But Mooney believes the benefits of the An Post scheme will outweigh the short-term impact on revenue.

He told the Irish Daily Star: “We have to think about what is right for the league and for clubs in the medium- to long-term. In our view this scheme can add a new layer of people to the game here.
    There is no doubt that some new fans might get a taster and become regulars (like his New Zealand family example), but the cost versus returns for the clubs just don't add up.

The Bray example above cost the club over €1,000 in lost revenue(miniscule in comparison to other clubs) .

Lets be really generous here and say 10% of these were newbies, and that 30% of these were so enthralled with what they saw, that they now attend half of Brays league games next season. That would give Bray a return of less then €300 next season.

When you add in the fact that the same vouchers could be used repeatedly for several games in October, the scale of the lunacy becomes even more obvious.

Promoting new supporters through the issuing of targeted freebies is sensible - but Noel Mooney has shown that his judgement on how to do this is not to be trusted. Of course clubs had no say in all this - it was foisted upon them.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Mooney could talk up a stadium fire, and probably would if it occurred as a result of a league promotion. He's just doing his job. We complained here and at fans forums about the FAI not fighting negative press before.

I am wondering when is the next fans forum or have they stopped them all together?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I am wondering when is the next fans forum or have they stopped them all together?
    There's usually one a little before the season starts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    To be honest, this would have made more sense at the start of the season. Very hard to integrate people into getting into the habit of going to games when theres a nice 4 month break coming up soon.
    Lets redefine what it means to heal

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    There's usually one a little before the season starts.
    and they normally have one in the middle of the season as they did last year..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Apparently this lark has cost Bohs €6,000 for the Pat's game on Friday.

We look forward to Mr Mooney making the case to Padraig Smith and his other FAI colleagues when they are on the warpath re the SCP.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley View Post
    Apparently this lark has cost Bohs €6,000 for the Pat's game on Friday.

We look forward to Mr Mooney making the case to Padraig Smith and his other FAI colleagues when they are on the warpath re the SCP.
    Your kidding, right?

This €6,000 in lost revenue would have freed up a whole €3,900 for the 65% SCP. Would barely pay a barman (sorry player) or two.

An Post caper is a farce, but please dont pretend it has a real impact on compliance with SCP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Is there a shels head working for an post? This lad seems to be handing them out like flyers. Whoever he is, he is no fan of the league if he prefers to see clubs losing money just so he can laugh that he got people in for free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lep View Post
    Is there a shels head working for an post? This lad seems to be handing them out like flyers. Whoever he is, he is no fan of the league if he prefers to see clubs losing money just so he can laugh that he got people in for free.
    That was just at Fingal wasn't it? As I'm sure you've gathered already, fans of Shels, a few other clubs and various other people in the league view the 21 other clubs in the league and Fingal as separate cases. I would not try to deprive 99% of clubs of much needed money, I would do anything possible to avoid giving money to Sporting Fingal. You can argue about it all you want, but my reasons are my own, and as long as I stay within the law I'm grand, and I'm sure the same applies to the lad who was handing them out outside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Your kidding, right?

This €6,000 in lost revenue would have freed up a whole €3,900 for the 65% SCP. Would barely pay a barman (sorry player) or two.

An Post caper is a farce, but please dont pretend it has a real impact on compliance with SCP
    It's a small component, yes, and probably won't matter either way.

But, hypothetically, if it were marginal - say we were almost there but needed a sum of this order to squeak through - wouldn't it be relevant? How, in such circumstances, could the FAI punish a club for financial stupidity?

And, more generally, doesn't the fact that they are so demonstrably dim dent their financial rectitude credentials?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFShels View Post
    That was just at Fingal wasn't it? As I'm sure you've gathered already, fans of Shels, a few other clubs and various other people in the league view the 21 other clubs in the league and Fingal as separate cases. I would not try to deprive 99% of clubs of much needed money, I would do anything possible to avoid giving money to Sporting Fingal. You can argue about it all you want, but my reasons are my own, and as long as I stay within the law I'm grand, and I'm sure the same applies to the lad who was handing them out outside.
    Heard a shels head was handing them out at ucd as well.

Your post gave my a chuckle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Rumour has it Harps launched one of those rain inducing missiles above Ballybofey last night to insure today's fixture was canceled and refixed for November saving them from the vast horde of an post voucher wielding zombie Shels fans. Only a rumour though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Your post gave my a chuckle
    Probably 1 of the knacker kids giving them to his friends. If so, bit of a non-story don't you think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    I got one off a group of 4 Shels fans, they had about 20 in their pockets!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I'd say you took a fair hit that night.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast