Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Worst referee?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    It seems almost universal in the league that offside is flagged when the ball gets there rather than when it's played.
    That's what you're supposed to do. Means you have time to decide if the player is interfering with play of not. The alternative is that you'll have players flagged for offside when they're on the far side of the pitch and clearly not getting the ball.

I like the way people will criticise referees and yet show that they have absolutely no knowledge of what they're actually talking about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    I won't start on refs (or I might not stop) but what I find equally frustrating is the linesmen. It seems almost universal in the league that offside is flagged when the ball gets there rather than when it's played. I know calling offside is difficult when you have defenders going one way attackers going the other way and a ball (invariably) being played from 40 yards further back but it strikes me as something that could be worked on in a couple of training sessions to get a bit more consistency and compliance with the rule book. Most teams in the league play an offside trap with a high line in the knowledge that linesmen will flag long balls over the top.
    A couple of years back FIFA changed the rule on offside - around "interferring with play" and (I think) refs/asst refs now have to wait until a player makes an effort to play or plays the ball before blowing.
    While this was to end the ridiculous situation of players out near the corner flag causing an offside against a player in the six yard box, it was/is in my opinion a silly change.
    What is more frustrating is the lack of consistency - some asst refs flag when the ball is played, some whenc the player touches the ball (sometimes both in the one match). Infairness the rule is not helpful in this instance.
    Another bugbear is that some refs tell asst refs to only flag offsides and not fouls. I can understand this in junior football but at the (alledged) highest level ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I won't start on refs (or I might not stop) but what I find equally frustrating is the linesmen. It seems almost universal in the league that offside is flagged when the ball gets there rather than when it's played.
    They can't flag for offside when the ball is played as they don't know if the offside player will get the ball. If someone else makes a run from an onside position and gets the ball, there's no offside to call.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Sorry for the confusion, the timing of raising the flag doesn't worry me. What I meant was that linesmen almost invariably make their call based on whether a player is ahead of the defence when the ball gets there, rather than basing it on whether he was offside when the ball was played. Often a player can be two yards on and by the time the ball has been played 40 yards to him is well in advance of the defence. This is usually called offisde in the League of Ireland and contributes to the stop-start and defensive nature of the game in Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I'd just like to mention that Kelly had a pretty good game at Dalymount last night. Unlike Winters and Buttimer, he didn't try to be the centre of attention, and let things flow as best he could.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    agreed - thought he had a great game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    League of Ireland referee watchers might want to take a seat for this post... I have to credit Neil Doyle with a very good performance in Oriel tonight. Let the game flow and only booked 2 or 3 (deservedly)... no really.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    And it gets better...

Anthony Buttimer had an excellent match tonight. Let the game flow, rarely interrupted proceedings, was unobtrusive, only gave out 3 yellow cards, two of which were pretty nailed on.

More please!
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    League of Ireland referee watchers might want to take a seat for this post... I have to credit Neil Doyle with a very good performance in Oriel tonight. Let the game flow and only booked 2 or 3 (deservedly)... no really.
    Probably the best performance from a ref in our games this season. And we actually only got ONE yellow...
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I won't start on refs (or I might not stop) but what I find equally frustrating is the linesmen. It seems almost universal in the league that offside is flagged when the ball gets there rather than when it's played. I know calling offside is difficult when you have defenders going one way attackers going the other way and a ball (invariably) being played from 40 yards further back but it strikes me as something that could be worked on in a couple of training sessions to get a bit more consistency and compliance with the rule book. Most teams in the league play an offside trap with a high line in the knowledge that linesmen will flag long balls over the top.
    Yeah I'm with you there Seand. Very annoying and its been like that for as long as I can remember.
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brianw82 View Post
    I'd just like to mention that Kelly had a pretty good game at Dalymount last night. Unlike Winters and Buttimer, he didn't try to be the centre of attention, and let things flow as best he could.
    He is supposed to be reffing a Europa league group stage tie this week .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sheao View Post
    He is supposed to be reffing a Europa league group stage tie this week .
    He's due to do at least three Group games and then a couple of knockout round games under this new system of having the Goal Line Assistants with him.
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stann View Post
    And it gets better...

Anthony Buttimer had an excellent match tonight. Let the game flow, rarely interrupted proceedings, was unobtrusive, only gave out 3 yellow cards, two of which were pretty nailed on.

More please!

Now I'm in shock
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Time for the mods to lock this thread, it's just too surreal.... praise for Kelly, Doyle and the 'unobtrusive' Buttimer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brianw82 View Post
    Add my vote to that. Was sure he would shaft us after I said nce things about him in this thread but had a good game and let the players get on with it.
    Nice to see that both sets of fans fairly happy with his performance.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir View Post
    Seeing as a lot of you seem to be experts on this - why not put your money where your mouth is and get yourself on a Referees Course - we always need more officials to cover games up and down the country each week

Sadly - I don't think I'll hold my breath...
    I'm with Réiteoir on this one - get involved.
    How many of you have ever read the 'Rules of the Game'? (& understood all of it?)
    It's crazy how many people allow themselves to spout off about percieved injustices while showing an obvious lack of knowledge - take the RTE commentators & ex-players in that clip as a good example of that (the lack of knowledge of ex-players bugs me the most, as we all presume that they speak with authority, but they bullsh1t too).

Reffing is difficult - it takes years to get good at it & lots of practice & great concentration to stay good. But it's well worth it, because you are there for the love of the game.
    http://trophymanager.com/?c=489688
    Trophy Manager - online football managment game - I like it - I think I'm getting obsessed with it though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CuanaD View Post
    I'm with Réiteoir on this one - get involved.
    How many of you have ever read the 'Rules of the Game'? (& understood all of it?)
    It's crazy how many people allow themselves to spout off about percieved injustices while showing an obvious lack of knowledge - take the RTE commentators & ex-players in that clip as a good example of that (the lack of knowledge of ex-players bugs me the most, as we all presume that they speak with authority, but they bullsh1t too).

Reffing is difficult - it takes years to get good at it & lots of practice & great concentration to stay good. But it's well worth it, because you are there for the love of the game.
    And the money that you can make out of it perhaps????
    Why are people who "need no introduction" always introduced?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prince20 View Post
    And the money that you can make out of it perhaps????
    How much do you think that is!??
    When I stopped reffing 11 years ago, we got £14 expences per game - don't know what it is now, but I can't see you becoming a millionaire at that kind of rate. I had heard that LOI refs were getting €300, but I don't think that's accurate - there is a fixed game-rate & then mileage allowance on top of that, so rates will depend on where the fixture is. Anyway, I still dont think you will train & practice for 10 years just to get to a level where you can earn €300 for a half day's work, 1-2 times a week, without having a love for the work you do.

http://trophymanager.com/?c=489688
    Trophy Manager - online football managment game - I like it - I think I'm getting obsessed with it though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir View Post
    He's due to do at least three Group games and then a couple of knockout round games under this new system of having the Goal Line Assistants with him.
    Great for himself and the other LOI refs. Would be good to see an irish ref at the world cup next year .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sheao View Post
    Great for himself and the other LOI refs. Would be good to see an irish ref at the world cup next year .
    The List from which they'll select has already been finalised - so no luck there.

We might have a chance at sending a team of three to the 2012 Euros
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast