Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Have any of you got a vision for the League of Ireland?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.F.C. View Post
    my vision.
    Simple. A league with consequences for fuucking up. This idea of operating over the 65% cap throughout the season but ending up under the cap at the end is pure arse.
    This.

A little leeway should be allowed for, of course (e.g. you can stray to just under 70% at times, as long as it's not for extended periods and as long as you end the season under 65%), but Bohemians should be penalised if the only way they stay under 65% is by winning the title. Such gambling only puts the club in peril. I'd rather support a mid-table Premier Division club than Title-Contenders that may not be around next season.

Where if you do fuuck up, you get a rake of points taken away instead of fines. Keep the money in the clubs.
    True. I mean the answer to clubs not living within their means isn't to restrict their means even further. It's to strip them of the glory they attained by such extravagant spending.

The childer support there own teams from there own area.
    Well there's three ways of doing this.

1. Media. Apart from local newspapers, which children don't read, the league isn't getting coverage. And of course, the worst part of this would be a country of Bohs/Rovers fans... the culture of glory-hunters we're breeding now will follow the leading teams if the national broadcaster is the only source of LOI they get.

2. The Parents. Again, not likely. Because the fathers to a large extent will raise their children as a Liverpool/United fan, or as a Premier League fan, and they'll end up seeing too much of it in their youth, being drawn into the glitz and glamour of it...

3. The Schools. I think this could be where the money lies. If the local side went around, during the off-season (as the new season nears) and did a skills course with the students of Primary Schools, handed out hats, scarves.. one of two jerseys in a raffle... it could stir up some interest, get the kids acquainted with the players... and (hopefully) get the classmates of the jersey-winners to be a wee bit jealous and get the parents to buy one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    my vision.
    Simple. A league with consequences for fuucking up...
    Easy there, tiger - that's a whole lot too radical for most of our clubs. I'd imagine if you spoke to many high ranking club officials, you would get a half hour of rhetoric, which when translated converts to "Do you expect turkeys to vote for Christmas.

If it was in the US, people would be screaming that this is Communism.

Bring on the Communist Revolution, I say.
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ped_ped View Post
    3. The Schools. I think this could be where the money lies. If the local side went around, during the off-season (as the new season nears) and did a skills course with the students of Primary Schools, handed out hats, scarves.. one of two jerseys in a raffle... it could stir up some interest, get the kids acquainted with the players... and (hopefully) get the classmates of the jersey-winners to be a wee bit jealous and get the parents to buy one
    This is a great idea. I'm ashamed to say that in my misguided younger days, I dabbled with supporting Pat's, after a few of their players came to a football camp I was at. As far as I was concerned, they were all Roberto Baggio. Some of the lads from that year still have a soft spot for them, despite absolutely no follow-up from the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Facilities have got to improve, increased seating for all fans, covered too, proper catering and other facilities. Better stewarding, all of this would encourage a lot of families to games, a lot of clubs in Lge 2 (old div 4) in UK are pitching for the family scene, and they have made great inroads here, by proper marketting and remember they are right next door to Eng Prem lge teams. If they can do it, why cant we ?

I think we are playing far too many games too, 18 home league games is not far off from the English sides are playing, it can be quite difficult to keep fans interested for so many matches, esp if your team drops off the pace, when you consider your avg GAA fan will attend no more 10 big games a season, we really have our work cut out to keep fans motivated to attend games.

Media too can play their part, aertel being a prime example , they had a page last night on a player I never heard of, who could be match fit this w/e, turns out he plays with WBA and is in the NI squad...........so what ?

The FAI cup final is/has been shamefully downgraded for over a decade now by our media, these are all prime examples where we have lost focus. The mornign of the game, we would be lucky to see a half page article in either the Sun Indo or Tribune.

MNS is excellent, but we need more of this.

Paul Collins on Today Fm the other am informs us that in the EIRCOM* lge, Sligo beat Bohs and so on, its the little things like these that HAVE to change before the message gets through that we are a serious league, well the fans are at least. To be fair Collins is not the worst and always plugs the lge, we just need to tidy up how its presented, they would never make a mistake with anything happening in th english lges.

* Sean Connor and Paul Doolin also made ref to this on MNS
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    My vision involves closing my eyes and rocking back and forth.
    Roddy Collins, the biggest <insert as appropiate> in Irish Football.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Paul Collins on Today Fm the other am informs us that in the EIRCOM* lge.......

* Sean Connor and Paul Doolin also made ref to this on MNS
    As did the PA announcer at the EIRCOM LEAGUE match between St Patricks Athletic and Dundalk UNITED in Richmond Park!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Mirriam O Callaghan also had a cracker on prime time on that 15 min slaughter on Shels a few yrs back, said something like 'and now to problems within the Irish Lge'

Superb..........she didn`t give one fxxx about us.

The only exception you can make in LOI/Ir Lg mix ups is from media in the UK, who really cant be blamed for not knowing which is which.

Then again, the Irish lge itself is now renamed to 'the Carling Permiership'

I think.........even I`m confused

All these name changes !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Then again, the Irish lge itself is now renamed to 'the Carling Permiership'
    As this BBC report shows, the league's name is the 'Auto Windshield Windscreen Wiper Fluid Irish League Division One' (or the AWWFILDO).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kN15...rom=PL&index=6
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    This is a great idea. I'm ashamed to say that in my misguided younger days, I dabbled with supporting Pat's, after a few of their players came to a football camp I was at. As far as I was concerned, they were all Roberto Baggio. Some of the lads from that year still have a soft spot for them, despite absolutely no follow-up from the club.
    This was the exact same thing with Bray Wanderers. They came to my school with the FAI Cup in 99' and the whole school was delighted.

I thought the same thing, Colm Tresson might as well have been Franco Baresi for all we knew.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Mirriam O Callaghan also had a cracker on prime time on that 15 min slaughter on Shels a few yrs back, said something like 'and now to problems within the Irish Lge'
    An all-new reason for an All Ireland League

But again, do RTE have a mandate to commission Prime Time reports on the League of Ireland? Surely the cost of commission wasn't too far off actually covering a fcuking match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I think we should just go with the flow and enjoy the last ten years of our existence before the European Super Priemer League 1, 2 and 3 wipe out all domestic support for the clubs left behind.

I predict that Europe will have roughly 60 clubs left by the year 2030

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    I think we should just go with the flow and enjoy the last ten years of our existence before the European Super Priemer League 1, 2 and 3 wipe out all domestic support for the clubs left behind.

I predict that Europe will have roughly 60 clubs left by the year 2030
    I think that's a little drastic. People in England will always support Rotherham, Plymouth and Colchester, because that's the way footballing culture generally works over there. Most of the footballing public over there would sooner feed their testicles through a mangle than support Manchester United or Chelsea in a European Super League.

Also, you'll find that the people supporting such a league will only want success. They're perfectly happy to support Liverpool now, when they're constantly in the top two or three domestically, and winning cups, but when they're mid-table in the EuPL, and failing to win half their games, watch the bandwagon screech to a halt and burst into flames as people desperately try to attach themselves to Barcelona, or Inter Milan. It makes more sense for clubs to stay big fish in relatively small ponds than risk losing the allure of constant and guaranteed success

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    I think that's a little drastic. People in England will always support Rotherham, Plymouth and Colchester, because that's the way footballing culture generally works over there. Most of the footballing public over there would sooner feed their testicles through a mangle than support Manchester United or Chelsea in a European Super League.
    But doesn't the above quote, which paints English fans as true, die-hard fans who support their team through thick and (usually) thin disagree with the quote below, which says that the fans will drop an unsuccessful team for a successful team?

Also, you'll find that the people supporting such a league will only want success. They're perfectly happy to support Liverpool now, when they're constantly in the top two or three domestically, and winning cups, but when they're mid-table in the EuPL, and failing to win half their games, watch the bandwagon screech to a halt and burst into flames as people desperately try to attach themselves to Barcelona, or Inter Milan. It makes more sense for clubs to stay big fish in relatively small ponds than risk losing the allure of constant and guaranteed success
    I know you mention the second case as happening in a European Super League of some sort, but the Premier League must currently hold the same appeal for mediocrity-weary Rotherham and Colchester fans as a Super League would hold for Liverpool or Arsenal fans?

why would one change club when the other wouldn't?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Because Rotherham, Colchester and Plymouth fans are "proper" fans, whereas Liverpool fans are bandwagon event junkies who derive a lot of their support from miles away from the locality.

(Obviously there's "proper" Liverpool fans too, but they're in the minority unfortunately)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    But doesn't the above quote, which paints English fans as true, die-hard fans who support their team through thick and (usually) thin disagree with the quote below, which says that the fans will drop an unsuccessful team for a successful team?

I know you mention the second case as happening in a European Super League of some sort, but the Premier League must currently hold the same appeal for mediocrity-weary Rotherham and Colchester fans as a Super League would hold for Liverpool or Arsenal fans?

why would one change club when the other wouldn't?
    What Stu said!

There will always be a lot of hard-core supporters who will follow their team no matter what, but the European Super League would be looking at making money from glory-hunting markets, like South-East Asia, Africa, and Ireland! Finishing mid-table isn't going to break those markets, but winning your domestic league or cup regularly is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Because Rotherham, Colchester and Plymouth fans are "proper" fans, whereas Liverpool fans are bandwagon event junkies who derive a lot of their support from miles away from the locality.

(Obviously there's "proper" Liverpool fans too, but they're in the minority unfortunately)
    There will always be a lot of hard-core supporters who will follow their team no matter what, but the European Super League would be looking at making money from glory-hunting markets, like South-East Asia, Africa, and Ireland! Finishing mid-table isn't going to break those markets, but winning your domestic league or cup regularly is.
    But is it not fair to say that the reason that Liverpool (for example) have always been more successful than a club like Rotherham is because the number of "hardcore, proper" fans is greater than that of Rotherham?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    It is. But it's also fair to say that there's a lot of barstoolers who follow Liverpool (this country, for example) who may fade away if Liverpool end up in mid-table obscurity in a superleague, which would hit the club significantly in terms of merchandise and branding sales.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    It is.
    So we're both right.

But it's also fair to say that there's a lot of barstoolers who follow Liverpool (this country, for example) who may fade away if Liverpool end up in mid-table obscurity in a superleague
    We can only hope so.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads, if you want a vision for the league, why not simply pay more attention to one that is already up and running. That's if a 6,000 sell-out attendance meets one of your criteria for success.
    http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/35...ckets-on-sale-
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr View Post
    Lads, if you want a vision for the league, why not simply pay more attention to one that is already up and running. That's if a 6,000 sell-out attendance meets one of your criteria for success.
    http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/35...ckets-on-sale-
    Ah, but what about the thousands of season ticket holders that are counted in these figures, in spite of not actually being there?

(It just felt weird having a post about a Shamrock Rovers attendance without someone saying that. And you don't own your stadium. Shame on you!)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast