Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have any of you got a vision for the League of Ireland?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eamo1 View Post
    Is it that time of the week already for one of these threads to start?

Back to winter football would be part of my vision.People said it was too cold to go to games when we had winter footie but it was freakin freezing a few weeks ago in Terryland so its all the same.
    It's cold all the time in Galway

I'm very much against returning to winter football. People don't realise it, but getting over four thousand for a match with Rovers just wouldn't happen in mid-December, even if it was a "Boxing Day" (St Stephen's Day, etc...) special it wouldn't.

You only have to look at the IFA Premiership and see that we would only go back to the amateur-like league, and getting thrashed in European competition.

For me it's a definite no-no.
    I'm a 23yr old right-handed heterosexual who drinks milk and likes democracy. - dcfcsteve knows me well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ped_ped View Post
    Anything more than 10 teams seems silly (to me) and, as it happens, more teams negatively effects our UEFA co-efficient (the amount of teams in your league influences the leagues standing).
    Why would the top four clubs from a 10 team league do better in Europe than the top four clubs from a 16 team league?
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    Why would the top four clubs from a 10 team league do better in Europe than the top four clubs from a 16 team league?
    In Ireland it wouldn't matter who the other six are, it would still be the same four getting into Europe and I don't see how playing Mervue United and Wexford Youths would make the likes of Bohs any stronger than they already are.
    I'm a 23yr old right-handed heterosexual who drinks milk and likes democracy. - dcfcsteve knows me well

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umberside View Post
    In Ireland...it would still be the same four getting into Europe
    Really? I think the LoI fares quite well in shifting the European qualifiers around. Even this year, Rovers look set to qualify for the first time since 2004 (?), while Cork aren't in for the first time in a few years. This decade, you've had clubs like UCD, Bray, Dundalk and Longford qualify. I think we do reasonably well.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    I'd like to see games played on Saturday afternoons at 3.00

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Really? I think the LoI fares quite well in shifting the European qualifiers around. Even this year, Rovers look set to qualify for the first time since 2004 (?), while Cork aren't in for the first time in a few years. This decade, you've had clubs like UCD, Bray, Dundalk and Longford qualify. I think we do reasonably well.
    I personally just feel the gap has widened despite a reduction in the number of teams. I can't see anyone realistically challenging the top four this year and don't see where the challenger is going to come from in the years ahead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I personally just feel the gap has widened despite a reduction in the number of teams. I can't see anyone realistically challenging the top four this year and don't see where the challenger is going to come from in the years ahead.
    Well the chances are Bohs, Cork and Derry will all be a fair bit weaker next year so I reckon other teams will have a chance at Europe next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GalwayRed View Post
    Well the chances are Bohs, Cork and Derry will all be a fair bit weaker next year so I reckon other teams will have a chance at Europe next year.
    If Cork finally take some action over their silly wage structure or even better sell then we should be competing again next season. Bohs could go the Shelbourne way or the Drogheda way, and it's too early to comment on Derry though I'd have to say it doesn't look too bad for them.

I'd imagine though it'll be the same top four again next season should the FAI take no action on any of us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    If Cork finally take some action over their silly wage structure or even better sell then we should be competing again next season. Bohs could go the Shelbourne way or the Drogheda way, and it's too early to comment on Derry though I'd have to say it doesn't look too bad for them.

I'd imagine though it'll be the same top four again next season should the FAI take no action on any of us.
    If Cork take action then that will surely led to having a weaker squad though. If Derry are sensible then theyll be operating on a smaller budget which will inevitably lead to a weaker squad. Same situation for Bohs. If this happens then other clubs should have a chance of getting europe. Theyre all big ifs though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    You'd have said the same thing when Shels were qualifying every year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You'd have said the same thing when Shels were qualifying every year.
    It's much worse now, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    What's much worse?

Seriously, the league is going to look a lot different in two years' time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GalwayRed View Post
    If Cork take action then that will surely led to having a weaker squad though. If Derry are sensible then theyll be operating on a smaller budget which will inevitably lead to a weaker squad. Same situation for Bohs. If this happens then other clubs should have a chance of getting europe. Theyre all big ifs though.
    I'd expect most players wil acept wage cuts as there isn't much alternaitve employment out there so squads shouldn't be too much weaker, I thought Cork were barred from europe for 3 years for going into examinership last season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dublinred View Post
    I thought Cork were barred from europe for 3 years for going into examinership last season.
    No, we'd be in Europe this year only for those fellas at Sligo, who got a draw at the Cross in a game that would sent us into Europe if we had won. We drew, and lost the following week to Bohs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Forgot about Sligo being in Europe for the first time in over 10 years too. There's definitely no top-four clique. Sure look where Pat's and Bohs were in 2006 to show how the league changes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    It has to be started from young fans with a view to the future. We have to accept that we are not going to get in EPL hardened older soccer fans. its just not going to happen. Publisize the league with the kids and make stars out of the players just as the English commercial machine has done here. That way we have a ten year plan or so!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pixiehead View Post
    It has to be started from young fans with a view to the future.
    A lot of that has been done at City and we would have (a complete estimate) about 70% of our matchday attendance made up of people under 30.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
    Four score and seven years ago, a great Cork man, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Treaty...
    Top work Bluebeard!
    But bloody hell lad, you have a worrying amount of time on your hands lately!
    more bass

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Last time I mooted this idea I was offered police protection, but I dont think that this country can support any commercially or competitively successful football structure on its own because of the size of its population and the fact that there are too few conurbations with sufficiently large catchment areas. The successful paradigm already exists in the shape of Rugby's Celtic League. The SPL has its own problems, the Irish League is in a worse state than the EL and the best that Cardiff and Swansea can hope for in England is yo-yo status between the top two (or occasionally three) divisions. Of course there are huge challenges, and the delicate issue of mergers and new club structures would need to be grasped, but unless we think outside the box club football in the Celtic nations can only go in one direction. There is a huge potential support for "serious" club football in Ireland, but if you want kids in this country to transfer their allegiance fom the likes of Man Utd, Celtic and Liverpool, you have got to offer them an attractive, quality alternative taking part in a competition that has some status, and playing in stadia that are only one step up from school playing fields. As I have said before, football is the last economic sector where it is is necessary for Irish people to emigrate in order to succeed. We are producing and exporting more players to Uk clubs than ever before and at present all too few of them realise their potential at either club or international level. If Irish clubs generated enough revenue to attract and keep more of our best players in Ireland, it would inevitably assist our international team as well, but this really does require very radical thinking. Transnational league and cup structures will inevitably happen, its a question of whether we want to be a part of it or remain one of Europe's most impoverished footballing backwaters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    its a question of whether we want to be a part of it or remain one of Europe's most impoverished footballing backwaters.
    Or alternatively, we could try to keep a consistant league format for six months before there are eight new suggestions of a new format.

1. Flights and transport in general would be awkward.

2. The SPL is infinitely more popular than the LOI. From the point of view of attendances it would be suicide for the SPL.

3. Assuming Celtic and Rangers remained within this system, as opposed to leaving for the EPL at the first chance, what's going to stop the Irish public supporting Celtic - who will be probably challenging for honours every year?

I feel that this system would benefit barstooler Celtic fans, who only have to travel to Dalymount, Tallaght, Richmond Park, The Oriel... to see 'Ireland's Team' in action.

4. What about UEFA? Do Celtic or Rangers always get the Champions League spot? Is this not throwing away Bohs and Ryls European spots?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast