Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast

Thread: Behaviour which needs to be banned...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Interesting alright, and while I agree with some of what's said, particularly the glorifying of him as an 'all round good guy', which is pure nonsense, for me, it's very simple. The man committed the murders, he gets the coverage. The children added in simply to sell newspapers and get people talking about it, because that's what most people connect to on a personal basis. I think it's simple psychology here.

Talking about the woman killed wouldn't attract as much attention, and not because she's a woman, but because she's a grown adult. People have become somewhat desensitised to these stories and it doesn't affect them on a personal level unless they've personal experience of such a case. Likewise, if it was the other way around, and the wife done this, I don't doubt for one second she'd be the one getting all the coverage. The infamous 'Scissor Sisters' being an example of this. The man brutally butchered in that case was barely discussed, and all the headlines were about the two women.

I don't think there's any underlying sexist issue here, but it suits some people to spin it like that.
    Last edited by nigel-harps1954; 01/09/2016 at 5:22 PM.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I think there is a big gap in what the papers are saying and what most people are thinking. Nothing got to do with selling papers at all. Just look at any of the comment sections of the papers. The overwhelming majority dont think he was "a lovely fella". He butchered his kids and wife. I dont give a s,,,,t if he was a great handballer or whatever. Just shows the disconnect between the press and the larger populace....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I don't have a problem with them reporting people's opinions of the man. Having a mental health problem doesn't make you a bad person, it makes you a person with a mental health problem, and in cases like this quite likely a different person. It doesn't excuse the incident and it doesn't remove the horror and anger and hatred that incidents like this create (we had a raft of people driving their kids into the River Lee in the nineties, and I hate those people) but it's very unlikely that man, the underlying man that these people are talking about, had a notion what was going on at the time. The demons had taken over. You can still hate the demons.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    I think there is a big gap in what the papers are saying and what most people are thinking. Nothing got to do with selling papers at all. Just look at any of the comment sections of the papers. The overwhelming majority dont think he was "a lovely fella". He butchered his kids and wife. I dont give a s,,,,t if he was a great handballer or whatever. Just shows the disconnect between the press and the larger populace....
    You don't get the comment sections without the articles. Ultimately, it's the stories that drive the traffic to these sites for the comments. It's just the online equivalent of selling papers.

Whatever the overwhelming majority of joe soap public person thinks, it's the way the media portrays the story that gets people talking. It's not disconnect at all, they know exactly what they're doing.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    You don't get the comment sections without the articles. Ultimately, it's the stories that drive the traffic to these sites for the comments. It's just the online equivalent of selling papers.

Whatever the overwhelming majority of joe soap public person thinks, it's the way the media portrays the story that gets people talking. It's not disconnect at all, they know exactly what they're doing.
    Perhaps yeah, but that story will sell papers on its own. I do think that if this happened in the UK, the way their tabloids would report it would be a little more gory and dramatic.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    This guy left a note saying his family couldn't cope without him.

Am I the only person who thought that was very narcissistic?

I think there is a great possibility that this individual was controlling and manipulative.

I also think there was a decent possibility that his wife was going to leave him and that's why he wiped out his family.

I'm not having this moment of madness nonsense. He could have killed his wife in a moment of rage and left it at that. He bludgeoned a defenseless woman and three little children, and then took the time to compose a note.

He knew fully well what he was doing.

It makes me absolutely sick that people with mental illnesses are categorized with a deranged lunatic like this person. Mental illness should not be used as a catch-all term to describe things like this, when there is no evidence he was ever diagnosed with a mental illness.

I never thought I'd say this, but I wonder if it should be left up to the extended family to make a decision about burial etc.

I mean if my father bludgeoned me to death I wouldn't want to be buried with him.

And as I mentioned earlier, I strongly suspect that his own wife didn't want to be with him anymore in life - let alone eternity.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Trivial stuff compared to the above lads but annoying all the same.

People at a pedestrian crossing that don't have to press the button who just press it for the sake of it because they won't wait a second for you to pass or go before you get there.

Someone on a push bike doing the above really grinds my gears.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    Trivial stuff compared to the above lads but annoying all the same.

People at a pedestrian crossing that don't have to press the button who just press it for the sake of it because they won't wait a second for you to pass or go before you get there.

Someone on a push bike doing the above really grinds my gears.
    I push these buttons routinely while out walking along, without even intending or needing to get across the road.

11. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    I push these buttons routinely while out walking along, without even intending or needing to get across the road.

Whatever floats your boat...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Oh, it was you Denis Leary was singing about!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    Whatever floats your boat...
    That's right.

Another play of mine is when in a queue at the bank or similar and it edges along, shape to step forward but ultimately hold position. Repeat this three, four times letting the gap grow between you and the chap or chapette ahead while the people behind you begin to contemplate murder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    That's right.

Another play of mine is when in a queue at the bank or similar and it edges along, shape to step forward but ultimately hold position. Repeat this three, four times letting the gap grow between you and the chap or chapette ahead while the people behind you begin to contemplate murder.
    That would be me. And I'm pretty sure I'd convince a jury of my peers that it was justified
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Fancy larger font, sometime italic sentences or paragraphs in a newspaper article. If you're going to do it, just do it, but don't have the same sentence repeated within the rest of the passage. Noticed it a lot lately, the Irish Times in particular I think. Why would we want to read the same line twice?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Leggings/yoga pants.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Leggings/yoga pants.
    You're mental.

Some carry of said garments well. Though admittedly your preferred demographic probably don't.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Leggings/yoga pants.
    Like a big girl do ya ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Some things are best left to the imagination, surely?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    I like the skin coloured ones.

Google away ..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    How would women like it if guys with six packs walked around bare chested all the time?

That's the best comparison I can use since men don't have buttocks like women.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    lots of guys in Dublin yesterday doing that. Forgot to poll women for their opinions.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast