Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bertie in the NOTW sports pages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bertie in the NOTW sports pages.

Did anyone read Mr. Aherne's column in the News of the World yesterday?

Great to see our former leader talking about getting Stephen Ireland back in the squad and the brilliant surface at Croke Park (is it just me but does anyone else think the pitch looks terrible?).

But not a mention about Pat's great performence in Europe or the current plight of Cork City. Not a dickie bird!

I'd love to interview this man about Irish football. I'd bet he wouldn't have a clue.
    Last edited by SunderlandBohs; 10/08/2009 at 9:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBohs View Post

Great to see our former leader talking about getting Stephen Ireland back in the squad and the brilliant surface at Croke Park (is it just me but does anyone else think the pitch looks terrible?).

But not a mention about Pat's great performence in Europe or the current plight of Cork City. Not a dickie bird!

I'd love to interview this man about Irish football. I'd bet he would have a clue.

Perhaps you meant wouldnt have a clue?
    Why are people who "need no introduction" always introduced?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/Fiver/0,,2299867,00.html

Letter in the FIver section of the guardian

"Maybe all these gaelic games fans writing in from Ireland looking for a football fix (Fiver letters passim) might like to comment on St Patrick's Athletic's Big Vase success in Russia last night? Didn't think so. They're probably too busy studying the TV schedule for the upcoming Premier League season"

Big vase is their euphemism for UEFA Cup/Eurropa league
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ok I chaged it now prince20.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I'd love to interview this man about Irish football. I'd bet he wouldn't have a clue.

any chance of posting the link?

Cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts

Apparently he's a massive Drumcondra fan. I think some of the problem with the league is the strength of amateur football in Ireland. A lot of people see themselves as fans or players for LSL clubs, and don't see the step up to the LOI as being big enough to justify supporting a second team.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    UCD played Drumcondra in 2004 in the FAI Cup. It was Drums' first game against senior opposition since they left the league in 1974 (?). Bertie wasn't there. Maybe he is a fan and had other commitments, but I'd say the most likely excuse is that talk is cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    any chance of posting the link?

Cheers
    Can't find a link for it but found plenty from the NOTW about Jordan and Peter Andre if you're interested?

Maybe Stu he is still upset over the last time he visited a LOI ground when those horrible Bohs fans booed Roy Keane!

Just to prove Bertie is a liar. I remember watching that God-awful programme on tv3 about Keane and Sunderland. Ahern said on our (SAFC) last game of the season against Luton he watched the first half in a pub on the southside and it was packed and then he watched the second half in a pub in the northside and it was packed. It was like Italia 90 all over again!

The match wasn't on tv

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    The match wasn't on tv
    Hehe.

I thoroughly enjoyed his appearance on The Premiership, where he professed his love for Man Utd, and talked about how great Socks-kler had been for them recently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Hehe.

I thoroughly enjoyed his appearance on The Premiership, where he professed his love for Man Utd, and talked about how great Socks-kler had been for them recently.
    I never saw that, would love to see it sometime.
    I'm a 23yr old right-handed heterosexual who drinks milk and likes democracy. - dcfcsteve knows me well

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Man I would say its a great read!!

The man is such a spoofer, he even looks like he hasnt a clue when he goes on about his beloved gah - wasnt he an embarrassment when he was on the Sunday Game a while back?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Apparently he's a massive Drumcondra fan. I think some of the problem with the league is the strength of amateur football in Ireland. A lot of people see themselves as fans or players for LSL clubs, and don't see the step up to the LOI as being big enough to justify supporting a second team.
    Correction - he states that he was a big Drumcondra fan, back when they were in the senior game.

This is a blinding excuse, because it allows him to feign an interest in Irish football without having to ever exemplify that interest, because his beloved team are no longer in the senior game. Furthermore, it enables him to get away from having anything more to do with the LOI, as sure it's not the same since the Drums left. And on top of that, it's a team who were in his own constituency, so he can be seen to be being local without ever having to prove it. Also - he supports a team that haven't kicked a senior ball in 35yrs, so no-one has a clue if he ever went to see them all that much anyway.

In summary - DrumconDrA is an absolute gift to a spoofer like Bertie Ahearn, as it gives him a get out of jail card for the fact he doesn't have a jot of interest in the LOI.

it's just all bullsh!t....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    [QUOTE=dcfcsteve;1209134]Correction - he states that he was a big Drumcondra fan, back when they were in the senior game.

This is a blinding excuse, because it allows him to feign an interest in Irish football without having to ever exemplify that interest, because his beloved team are no longer in the senior game. Furthermore, it enables him to get away from having anything more to do with the LOI, as sure it's not the same since the Drums left. And on top of that, it's a team who were in his own constituency, so he can be seen to be being local without ever having to prove it. Also - he supports a team that haven't kicked a senior ball in 35yrs, so no-one has a clue if he ever went to see them all that much anyway.

In summary - DrumconDrA is an absolute gift to a spoofer like Bertie Ahearn, as it gives him a get out of jail card for the fact he doesn't have a jot of interest in the LOI.

True but no need to be so hard on yourself

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Correction - he states that he was a big Drumcondra fan, back when they were in the senior game.

Spot on Steve. It paints a picture of a young man hoping the fence to see his beloved Drums play. Not really an excuse to stop following the LOI altogether though. It plays into the hearts of people who remember Drumcondra F.C. It's a bit like Tony Blair once saying in a interview he used to stand on the Gallowgate End with his dad watch Jackie Milburn play for Newcastle. He would have be only three when Milburn stopped playing for Newcastle.

If Bohs go bust, I'll still follow the league with the same interest but I won't have a team.

As I said early about the Sunderland v Luton match....he's a spoofer of the highest kind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. 'Drums' has been an overdue entry in the glossary of Irish footballspeak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Well as someone who was involved in Drums in recent years Bertie’s support was minimal. His brother Maurice was more willing to help out. Bertie was asked to the game against UCD but had other committments, which is probably true as he was Taoiseach then. Bertie did attend a few cup finals over the years. He was a player/secretary for a club called All Hampton many years ago. So he was actively involved in his younger days before FF came calling.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    No one is denying he's a football fan

but he's a self confessed man U fan, thats it.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It's a struggle to begin a sentence about Bertie with 'to be fair....' but TBF, for most of his time in politics he had two premier division teams in his constituency; had he picked either us* or Shels, he would have had to put up with the moans of fans of the other. the Drums answer was a godsend in that context.

* you can't believe how grateful i am that he isn't a Bohs fan, actually.
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    In fairness, I'd develop a fondness for all things Manchester if people get stuffing ten grand in my pocket unsolicited everytime I went there.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

To be honest the fact the tosser is reduced to the level of a column in the ultimate trash read is as much a news item as this particular story. I despised and despise Ahern and the News of the World is about his intellectual level alright.

Why would he mention St Pats Rovers as he might call them or Cork Celtic for that matter.? He's a self professed barstooler. I'd be more concerned if he had mentioned either but then again Bertie was never given to honesty at any stage of his career.

Thank god he's gone, sadly he got away with so much corruption and I'm not sure Bertie could tell you much in reality of his support of Drums. He doesn't have the greatest memory you know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast