Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: St. George's Flags at LOI Grounds

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Not lately. Have I missed any riots, out of interest?
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Not lately. Have I missed any riots, out of interest?
    Why bother replying to a question that you obviously don't know anything about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    In response to the george's cross flag being removed in croker , it may be the fact that it may have been hanging over an advertising hording and if so, many flags have been removed because of this no matter what the flag was.
    As for them in League grounds then it should be welcomed as at least the flag owners are showing an interest in our league matches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheech View Post
    All depends on the relevance of the situation.

Harps played Ipswich a few weeks ago and there was St George's and Union flags there. No one had a problem.

If Harps had of been playing Derry and either of these flags were taken out for example, what do people think would happen?
    Depends who took them out. If it was Harps fans - probably laughter. If City fans - probably confusion. Though at least it's red and white

A few scrotes at our away game versus Gretna stood over next to the City fans waving the Union flag and thinking we'd get really annoyed. City fans just laughed at them and then sang 'cheerio' when the stewards through them out. So not the mayhem you seem to be suggesting might happen.

Some people have too much time on their hands to worry about flags.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheech View Post
    Were you ever at a Harps Derry match?
    I've been to plenty.

Why - what's supposed to happen ? *

*except from it being the biggest derby in the league

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by celticV3 View Post
    I view it as representing colonialism and imperialism, something that is relative to this Island and can explain why people may be offended at the sight of the union flag. People are more than entitled to display their national flag but the union flag is not a flag of any nation and what it does represent can be offensive.
    200,000 Irishmen fought under the Unon Jack in the First World War (as opposed to less than three thousand who fought under the tricolour in the 1916 rebellion). They obviously didn’t find it offensive. Daniel O’Connell, along with Parnell, the great nationalist leader of 19th century Ireland, had no objection to the Union Jack. (Many of his political meetings ended with a toast to the Queen). Certainly, militant republicans in the 19th century and early 20th century Ireland would have objected to the Union Jack, but they would have not have been anything like a majority of the population. The mood of the country (according to historian Tom Garvin) was that a quarter of the country was actively nationalist, a quarter actively unionist, and the remaining half mildly nationalist - eg. Home Rulers. The popular demonisation of the Union Jack is largely a post-independence invention of Irish nationalists.
    I suggest you read Garvin’s ‘Nationalist Revolutionaries in Ireland’, or indeed any of his other books on Irish nationalism. Or indeed any books on Irish history, as you clearly buy into the old myths and prejudices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Didn't people die so that the St George/Union Jack wouldn't be seen in Ireland anymore?
    You've got no fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeathDrog View Post
    Didn't people die so that the St George/Union Jack wouldn't be seen in Ireland anymore?
    No! Arguably people died to eject such flags and their 'owners', and subsequently as a mature, balanced and sensible independent nation welcome them back with respect as/when we wish on appropriate occasions eg sporting events, festivals etc just as we do when we travel to uk for say Glastonbury, cheltenham and so on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meathdrog View Post
    didn't people die so that the st george/union jack wouldn't be seen in ireland anymore?

no .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Umberside View Post
    There's no similarity between a tricolour at an EPL game and a Union Jack/St George's flag.

The reason there's no problem with a tricolour at an EPL game is because the Premier League has an international fanbase, and flags of any country would be permitted.

Whereas the LOI has only a small (not even a national) fanbase and a Union Jack would cause mayhem (possibly).

If someone unfurled a tricolour at a Crawley Town or Accrington Stanley match then they would most likely be told to move it.
    the last part of your 'opinion' is very much wrong and you shouldnt say stuff if you dont have a notion about what your talking about, although irish tricolours would not be common at such lower league matches i dont think anybody could give a toss is england, a) because we are not small minded people like yourself... b) there are many young irish players in the lower leagues i think you'd find if you looked. and finally c) nobody could care less, its just a football match and someone is showing a flag which normally represents where there from, for example ireland, and they would be welcomed to whichever town or city in england very warmly and would properbly have a great laugh together with the english people in the pubs before and after the match no matter what division or standard of football they are spectating with there flag anywhere in england

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lep View Post
    no .
    I'm fairly sure you're wrong.
    You've got no fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Without doubt the only reason anybody has ever died is to stop a bit of cloth appearing in Ireland.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Without doubt the only reason anybody has ever died is to stop a bit of cloth appearing in Ireland.
    I think it's what the cloth symbolised is what bothered them.
    You've got no fans.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Personally I wouldn't appreciate anyone bringing ANY national flag to a loi game. At least have C'mon the Drogs or something written on it. Even then, I would ask why don't you have a Drogs flag?

Wouldn't mind these lads coming over with their flag as long as there was something written on it, but i'd still prefer if they had a club flag.
    Jamie Duffy covers more ground than Roadrunner ever did

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I think it's what the cloth symbolised is what bothered them.
    Oh so its the symbols that annoyed them. Oh I get it know. it wasn't to rule their own country, but to get rid of the dirty brits and never let them display their symbols ever again

BTW I'm 100% with chatterbox.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Oh so its the symbols that annoyed them. Oh I get it know. it wasn't to rule their own country, but to get rid of the dirty brits and never let them display their symbols ever again

BTW I'm 100% with chatterbox.
    Not necessarily saying that, I'm merely playing devil's advocate.
    You've got no fans.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Agree entirely, chatterbox. I also think Bohs should get rid of that stupid tricolour on their collar. Your colours are red and black!

Personally I find the tricolour offensive as a symbol of the subjugation of my class by the nationalist-led reactionary elite and from now on will thump anyone who displays it at an LoI game, possibly whilst instigating a riot.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Dear oh dear. Those guys are hardly responsible for "800 years of oppression etc", indeed I'm sure they're hardly even aware of it. Indeed, if they were prejudiced and antagonistic towards Irish people etc, I'm sure they wouldn't want to visit Ireland in the first place, never mind give their money to an organisation like the GAA.
    They were just a group of lads who were in town for a break and they fancied going to a local sports event. As such, they would be positively welcomed in any other country (with a quiet word about the flag etc, where appropriate). But here, despite being happy enough to take their money, the GAA then threatened to kick them out for what was a simple misunderstanding. Pathetic.

Sadly, you're probably correct. Doesn't make such petty-mindedness any more acceptable (imo). People need to grow up and live in the present, not the past - especially when we're talking about a simple football match ffs!

And a football stadium is the correct venue for perpetuating such disagreements then, is it?
    You know, considering you're a fan of a club which is notably successful in "managing" such a sensitive subject in far more difficult circumstances, I find it hard to believe that you appear to be defending clubs which ought to be in a position to avoid it altogether.

I appreciate that your prescribed penalty is exagerrated for effect (at least I hope it is! ), but I still think you are over-reacting drastically to what is generally a pretty harmless gesture.
    For example, there is a family of season-ticket holders who sit next to my usual seat at White Hart Lane. When the dad occasionally brings his teenaged daughter, she always brings a Tricolour with her, to wave whenever Robbie Keane scores (He's her favourite Spurs player).
    Although she may be 1st or 2nd generation Irish, she is clearly English-born and bred.
    What on earth harm is there in her waving her flag?
    EG - whatever end of the stick you have in your hand, it's clearly the wrong one.

Just because I understand why some people aren't happy with English/British flags at Irish sports grounds, doesn't mean I agree with them.

I can understand why some dog owners don't clear up their animal's sh!t after them, but that doesn't mean that I think it's alright.

Ireland has matured a lot recently over its attitude towards the English, but there's still a long way to go.

Nuff said.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fair point Sheridan. I probably agree with you, but wouldn't be as passionate about it! On a slightly relevant point, does anyone think that we shouldn't play Amhran na bhfiann at FAI cup finals. I don't see the point really. Its not done in other matches through the year and a good few of the players aren't Irish. It would be like playing an EU anthem at international games. Doesn't really make sense to me. Or maybe its just too GAA for my liking.
    Jamie Duffy covers more ground than Roadrunner ever did

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Personally I find the tricolour offensive as a symbol of the subjugation of my class by the nationalist-led reactionary elite and from now on will thump anyone who displays it at an LoI game, possibly whilst instigating a riot.
    Make sure you sieze and redistribute their wealth whilst you're at it comrade...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast