Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: St. George's Flags at LOI Grounds

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    I wouldn't dare to presume those guys motives, and neither should you (imo).

One of the lads told me that they went with a few friends to a hurling match in Croke Park just for the laugh when they where in Dublin. They displayed a St. Georges flag with SAFC-Durham on it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by celticV3 View Post
    The union is not the flag of any country though? People having objections to a flag such as the union flag and what it represents is not bigoted and to brush it off as such is just ridiculous as people are entitled to object to what the flag represents.
    What do you think it represents, then? Why are you offended by it?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    We shall only reach full maturity as a proper nation when people can fly whatever flag of whatever country they wish in any ground in the country and nobody will be bothered in the slightest. But I suspect there will always be bitter, insecure, prejudiced bigots whose views are firmly stuck in the 19th century.
    Got it spot on. I just regard flags as pieces of cloth. Yes they have various representations connected to them but the day i get riled by one is the day I too should be barred from LOI grounds.
    I just sit down at the typewriter & start hittin the keys, just hittin the keys. Getting them in the right order though thats the trick, thats the trick.

Garth Merenghi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    why bother? unless its a national match no real point in bringing a flag of any country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post
    One of the lads told me that they went with a few friends to a hurling match in Croke Park just for the laugh when they where in Dublin. They displayed a St. Georges flag with SAFC-Durham on it.
    Scram you're just twisting peoples words. They we're in Dublin for the Shels v Sunderland. They fancied going to a hurling just for the experience and see what its like. Going to see Croke Park was a large part of it too. They unfurled the flag as they didn't think that it would cause any harm. The stewards told them to remove the flag or else they'll be throw out. They did with out any trouble and by all accounts enjoyed the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umberside View Post
    There's no similarity between a tricolour at an EPL game and a Union Jack/St George's flag.

The reason there's no problem with a tricolour at an EPL game is because the Premier League has an international fanbase, and flags of any country would be permitted.

Whereas the LOI has only a small (not even a national) fanbase and a Union Jack would cause mayhem (possibly).

If someone unfurled a tricolour at a Crawley Town or Accrington Stanley match then they would most likely be told to move it.
    There are often tricolour flags shown in the conference (seen it with my own eyes). No problem whatsoever.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    There are often tricolour flags shown in the conference (seen it with my own eyes). No problem whatsoever.
    Most people wouldn't even know what country it represents. Probably think it's the Ivory Coast flag or something. A tricolour at English grounds is a complete non-issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    The reason there's no problem with a tricolour at an EPL game is because the Premier League has an international fanbase, and flags of any country would be permitted.
    It's got nothing to do with the English game being international and our own being some parochial back-water, and everything to do with the Irish and our attitude towards the English/British - an attitude that isn't reciprocated by and large.

Imagine what would've happend in the early 1980's if someone took an Argentinian flag to a football game in England, for example. International my arse...

If someone unfurled a tricolour at a Crawley Town or Accrington Stanley match then they would most likely be told to move it.
    You're waaayyyy off the mark there. They really wouldn't care (except maybe at Aldershot, which is a town of about 20,000 squaddies). The likes of Crawley would just be delighted to have the fans there ! I'll take a tricolour to the next AFC Wimbledon game I go to to prove the point.

Even in Guildford or Warrington you wouldn't find animosity towards the Irish flag form 99.9% of the population - despite them being towns that were bombed by the IRA in living memory.

The Irish just don't do 'moving on' very well......!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    You have to live in England to realise how little the English know/care about their history with Ireland.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    What do you think it represents, then? Why are you offended by it?
    I view it as representing colonialism and imperialism, something that is relative to this Island and can explain why people may be offended at the sight of the union flag. People are more than entitled to display their national flag but the union flag is not a flag of any nation and what it does represent can be offensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I view it as representing colonialism and imperialism, something that is relative to this Island and can explain why people may be offended at the sight of the union flag. People are more than entitled to display their national flag but the union flag is not a flag of any nation and what it does represent can be offensive.
    So would you think the same thing if some Yank tourists hung the stars 'n' stripes in the Showgrounds? What it represents is currently much worse, in my opinion.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brianw82 View Post
    So would you think the same thing if some Yank tourists hung the stars 'n' stripes in the Showgrounds? What it represents is currently much worse, in my opinion.
    I love how the thread has turned into "what I think of certain flags"

In certain places the stars and stripes do represent colonialism and imperialism, but that is not necessarily Ireland as Ireland has never been invaded by America, except maybe through pop culture. Therefore people are less likely to get offended by the stars and stripes compared to the union flag as the union is more relative to Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I love how the thread has turned into "what I think of certain flags"

In certain places the stars and stripes do represent colonialism and imperialism, but that is not necessarily Ireland as Ireland has never been invaded by America, except maybe through pop culture. Therefore people are less likely to get offended by the stars and stripes compared to the union flag as the union is more relative to Ireland.
    Indeed, and I don't like where this thread is going at all.

It's all open to interpretation so, isn't it? The people getting 'offended' by the Union Jack or the St. George have never been 'oppressed' by the British (or English) in their lives, yet they're happy to speak their language every day, shop in their supermarkets and take cheap flights to their country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't see any problem whatsoever with an England flag at an Irish event. But Sunderland flags should be subject to a blanket ban.

Seriously, anyone who is offended by the flag of England at a sporting event, assuming it is not accompanied by a group of BNP/NF/K18 boneheads, really needs to get a life.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brianw82 View Post

It's all open to interpretation so, isn't it? The people getting 'offended' by the Union Jack or the St. George have never been 'oppressed' by the British (or English) in their lives, yet they're happy to speak their language every day, shop in their supermarkets and take cheap flights to their country.
    I wasn't on about the St. Georges flag. The union jack and it representing the union which is meant to include a partitioned part of this country allows for people to be offended at its presence in this country. That is not exclusive in anyway to LOI grounds.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley View Post

Seriously, anyone who is offended by the flag of England at a sporting event, assuming it is not accompanied by a group of BNP/NF/K18 boneheads, really needs to get a life.
    Exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i go to a lot of games in england every year and theres tri colours everywhere,
    and it dosent seem to bother the english people.
    and when ipswich played in the rsc a few weeks ago there was 2 georges flags and it didnt seem to bother anyone there.
    its only a few dopes over here who are living in the past that have the problems.
    clowns.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    All depends on the relevance of the situation.

Harps played Ipswich a few weeks ago and there was St George's and Union flags there. No one had a problem.

If Harps had of been playing Derry and either of these flags were taken out for example, what do people think would happen?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    It would have been acknowledged as a weak wind-up attempt and ignored, I imagine.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    It would have been acknowledged as a weak wind-up attempt and ignored, I imagine.
    Were you ever at a Harps Derry match?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast