Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTH is wrong with everyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Interestingly enough this attitude of hoping other English teams fail in Europe has only come in recently across the water, as in post Skyification. It used to be the case that when an English team, which would be comprised mainly of English players, played a foreign team, the rest of the country went all patriotic and hoped Liverpool, Ipswich or Notts Forest would go out there and give Johnny Foreigner six of the best. Maybe one of our exiles could tell us what it's like in other countries

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    I can't believe someone started a thread on foot.ie called, "WTH is wrong with everyone?"

This one could run and run...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I'll play devil's advocate here. Bear that in mind here when you're abusing me for it.

If a Wolves fan saw Man U crash out of Europe and smiled, it'd be the most natural thing in the world. The attitude in this league that we should all support everyone else in Europe is parochial.

My team got relegated last year because all of those teams spent money they didn't have. Cobh shat themselves out of the league trying to keep up. Harps are struggling a bit too. That the iniquities of these clubs are catching up with them is only just, and every one of them who goes bust is a victory for clubs trying to build in a sane fashion.

I agree with everything Ped Ped said in the original post..our league has enough problems and knockers without LOI fans wishing teams the worst..i understand ur frustration at getting relegated while others overspent but ur comparison of our league to the Wolves/Man u thing is complete bollo x in fairness....they are different worlds.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ped_ped View Post
    Whoever you support, if you want the league to progress, your team to progress, you should have wanted Bohs to beat Red Bull on Wednesday. I did, and was absolutely gutted when they found the back of the net three minutes from time. Any LOI 'supporter' who smiled when that happened is a disgrace.
    You make some interesting points, but like most contentious issues everything is not always simply black or white.

I was disappointed when Sligo were knocked out of Europe, and pleased that both Derry and St Pats progressed (heck I even supported Pats vocally and financially in the first game); on the other hand on the basis of the Bohs board saying that meeting the 65% protocol required winning the league, beating Salzburg and finding another huge clump of money, this is a bridge too far for me. In my opinion it would be a (further) significant backward step for the league generally (and specifically the clubs in it) were this mad-cap and totally irresponsible spending to be ultimately seen as justified or laudable.

My heart played tricks with my head when Salzburg scored; my spontaneous sporting disappointment restored by the reality that it was a necessary evil in order that Bohemains may face the consequences of their actions.

OK, Bohs have financial trouble and look set to over-shoot the 65% wage rule - they're still the best team in the country.
    I agree completely with you that Bohs are the best team in the country - but can you not see the irony in your statement?

Shamrock Rovers don't officially own the Tallaght Stadium - I don't get why we get so hung up on this, it's their home, enough of the jealousy or whatever the Hell this is, it's a nice stadium.

Cork, too are in financial trouble. So are Derry, Galway, the aforementioned Bohemians... my own Limerick FC in the First Division.

What is everyones problem? Talk down your rivals players, talk up your own. Chant whatever the Hell you want at the games, but there is no need for this sadistic Schadenfreude. If Bohs, Cork, Sligo, Galway go bust this year they're all MAJOR losses to the league. And if a LOI team is knocked out of Europe that's a loss to all of us, too.

I agree with you - although I suspect this pettiness is pretty much a phenomenon fuelled by internet boards such as this one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial
    I agree completely with you that Bohs are the best team in the country - but can you not see the irony in your statement?
    To be sure, I can. Had they not been so reckless they'd not have assembled such a fine group of players. But because of their recklessness I HOPE that they stabalise themselves financially, not that they go broke. And I'll be sad if the latter happens.

I agree with you - although I suspect this pettiness is pretty much a phenomenon fuelled by internet boards such as this one!
    I should hope so.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Trust a Limerick fan to come out with this sort of stuff.....
    The same type of sh!t you were coming out with 10 years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I have a ruler.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    to get fans in you have to spend money on players, facilities etc. to get that money you need fans. chicken or the egg which came first.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Personally I feel wages need to be driven right down...clubs simply can't afford to gamble on attendances going up. It would also help clubs in terms of focusing attention on developing their own young players. And once the books are balanced, we can stop flogging our top players out of desperation to English and Scottish clubs for practically nothing

We would still have the same quality of young players coming through, they just needed added supports in terms of education and such.

And if lower wages mean less journeymen from scotland and england coming over, well that's no great loss...Except for Gary Twigg of course!
    If Jesus came back today, and saw what was going on in his name, he'd never stop throwing up

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    enough of the John Lennon ,How does my Hatred of our Biggest rivals conflict with my love of our league?Hippy bul****!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheech View Post
    The same type of sh!t you were coming out with 10 years ago.
    And the award for completely missing the least subtle tongue-in-cheek comment since time began goes to....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoversHead View Post
    enough of the John Lennon ,How does my Hatred of our Biggest rivals conflict with my love of our league?Hippy bul****!
    Wish them as much sorrow and despair on a domestic front as you want, but when they're the only way for our standing in the Champions League can improve, it is going against the hope that the league progresses. Hope that they don't GET the LOI Champions League spot (the league title) NEXT YEAR, but when they have it they're representing your league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

OK, Bohs have financial trouble and look set to over-shoot the 65% wage rule - they're still the best team in the country.
    One point..... wouldn't they be connected?(and shouldn't that be expected, well i'd expect a winning team for that much money)
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberto_eire View Post
    One point..... wouldn't they be connected?(and shouldn't that be expected, well i'd expect a winning team for that much money)
    Yes? I didn't say 'but', I didnt completely disconnect them xD I just put them seperate because they're two seperate things that non-Bohs fans love to chat about... never the teams performance?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12