Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solution to League of Ireland problem?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

that time.

Another-how we should fix the LOI thread,is it that time of the week already???

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    And also, Norway's fairly close to England.

Curiously, I think crowds doubled across the league in the period Rosenborg were winning 14 titles in a row.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    A friend of mine had this idea:

[COLOR=#0000ff]The FAI should invest money into an academy somewhere to give young talent the chance to shine – similar to Lilleshall in England. The FAI should try and bring as much talent through this academy as possible.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Once they reach a certain age, they should commit themselves to the FAI. For example, let’s say that once they turn 16, they can only remain at the academy if they sign a 5-year deal with them, effective from their 18th birthdays.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Once they reach 20, they can then be loaned to League of Ireland teams (and I’d like that to work like the draft pick system in America, where the team finishing bottom has first pick, the second bottom team the second pick, etc., so that the worse teams get better faster than the better teams, which will allow for more closely matched teams). If, at any time before they reach 23, Premier League or Football League teams are interested in buying any of those players, they can negotiate with the owners of the players (i.e. the FAI).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]This would mean that all talented Irish youngsters would get state-of-the-art training facilities and coaching in Ireland. If they’re good enough to go to England, the FAI will receive the money from the deal – instead of cash-strapped clubs who would accept any offer to try and balance the books – and the clubs get the benefit of the best youngsters remaining in Ireland and playing for their clubs till at least the age of 23.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Oh **** not sure what happened there

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Just edit it and take out the []s.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Don't think so. Look at the dump Leinster were playing in when their bandwagon took off, for example. Barstoolers are only interested in the absolute best players, which the LoI simply can't afford. Ever.

Given your only criterion was "hat-stand panaceas for the league's woes", then yes, they can be directly compared.

I've never bought into the facilities arguement either. Donnybrook, Thomond Pk (before it was rebuilt) and the RDS are not great stadia. Same goes for a lot of the GAA stadiums. Lets say one of the LOI teams became an anchor tenant in the new Lansdowne Rd, do many people really believe, that alone would result in a sudden large increase in attendances. I for one would seriously doubt it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    I've never bought into the facilities arguement either. Donnybrook, Thomond Pk (before it was rebuilt) and the RDS are not great stadia. Same goes for a lot of the GAA stadiums. Lets say one of the LOI teams became an anchor tenant in the new Lansdowne Rd, do many people really believe, that alone would result in a sudden large increase in attendances. I for one would seriously doubt it.
    I agree but the standard of grounds could be improved a bit.I don't think there's any real solution. It's been debated to death.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Umberside View Post
    Our GDP is higher, that means we are wealthier (though it's not the best comparison, Norway is wealthy too).
    this made me fall off my chair in tears of laughter
    thanks mate
    we looked from Montrose to Swords, from swords to Montrose and from Montrose to Swords again but already it was impossible to spot UCDs right winger

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Right take two!

The FAI should invest money into an academy somewhere to give young talent the chance to shine – similar to Lilleshall in England. The FAI should try and bring as much talent through this academy as possible.
    Once they reach a certain age, they should commit themselves to the FAI. For example, let’s say that once they turn 16, they can only remain at the academy if they sign a 5-year deal with them, effective from their 18th birthdays.
    Once they reach 20, they can then be loaned to League of Ireland teams (and I’d like that to work like the draft pick system in America, where the team finishing bottom has first pick, the second bottom team the second pick, etc., so that the worse teams get better faster than the better teams, which will allow for more closely matched teams). If, at any time before they reach 23, Premier League or Football League teams are interested in buying any of those players, they can negotiate with the owners of the players (i.e. the FAI).This would mean that all talented Irish youngsters would get state-of-the-art training facilities and coaching in Ireland. If they’re good enough to go to England, the FAI will receive the money from the deal – instead of cash-strapped clubs who would accept any offer to try and balance the books – and the clubs get the benefit of the best youngsters remaining in Ireland and playing for their clubs till at least the age of 23.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Given your only criterion was "hat-stand panaceas for the league's woes", then yes, they can be directly compared.
    Look PS - we all know you don't like the AIL concept. That's fine - and as a UCD fan, it's understandable.

So please stop boring everyone by coat-trailing your dislike of it at every opportunity. You're misguided (for benefit of Da Hamsta) if you think a league proposal with a backer is the same as proposals that are against the law.

You may not like the AIL proposal - but it wasn't illegal, it did have a backer, and most importantly it may well have worked. It's simply your opinion that it wouldn't. A levy on satellite consumers is clearly illegal and whether it would work or not therefore isn't down to opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thommo View Post
    Right take two!

The FAI should invest money into an academy somewhere to give young talent the chance to shine – similar to Lilleshall in England. The FAI should try and bring as much talent through this academy as possible.
    Once they reach a certain age, they should commit themselves to the FAI. For example, let’s say that once they turn 16, they can only remain at the academy if they sign a 5-year deal with them, effective from their 18th birthdays.
    Once they reach 20, they can then be loaned to League of Ireland teams (and I’d like that to work like the draft pick system in America, where the team finishing bottom has first pick, the second bottom team the second pick, etc., so that the worse teams get better faster than the better teams, which will allow for more closely matched teams). If, at any time before they reach 23, Premier League or Football League teams are interested in buying any of those players, they can negotiate with the owners of the players (i.e. the FAI).This would mean that all talented Irish youngsters would get state-of-the-art training facilities and coaching in Ireland. If they’re good enough to go to England, the FAI will receive the money from the deal – instead of cash-strapped clubs who would accept any offer to try and balance the books – and the clubs get the benefit of the best youngsters remaining in Ireland and playing for their clubs till at least the age of 23.
    We had a big discussion on this a while back, here's the link: http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=117289

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Irish papers reporting on Irish soccer and Irish soccer only would be a start.
    You've got no fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    How about provincial clubs? Connacht Rovers, Munster United, Sporting Shelgallians....... what's not to like?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umberside View Post
    Our GDP is higher, that means we are wealthier
    a comparison of schools and hospitals and other infrastructure including football stadia would suggest not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brianw82 View Post
    Sporting Shelgallians
    I read this as "Sporting Shenanigans", great name for a team.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Gas chambers?

Tallaght Stadium Regular

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeathDrog View Post
    Irish papers reporting on Irish soccer and Irish soccer only would be a start.
    And what else would you like censored.
    I'll update this next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Gas chambers?
    Is that Gary's new nickname?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by First View Post
    And what else would you like censored.
    Sinn Féin

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.untitled View Post
    this made me fall off my chair in tears of laughter
    thanks mate
    Have to agree, Norway wisely invested it oil revenue moneys and so it now alegedgy earns more from the interest than from the actual oil (whereas Ireland ****ed everything it had earned up against a wall and so have feck all to show for it)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12