Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mickey Collins - Again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I must be the only Dundalk fan that is a touch nervous about this. Its all well and good saying that the FAI have no jurisdiction over MC for the Malone Cup game but surely that the FAI have to approve all these friendlies then they have some level of control over what comes out of them? For the record I thought that there would be some sort of suspension for MC as a result of this however seeing as DFChave held his registration for 5 months now (albeit waiting on clearance to play) then something would have been heard by the club long before now. However given all the years of the FAI making up rules as they go along and ignoring their own rulebook I think that I have grounds to be apprehensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Dundalk fans are absolutely right not to be the least bit worried about this issue.

The fact is that the FAI can only suspend players that are registered with them. Whelan was registered with the FAI and they dealt with him as they are entitled to. The FAI probably should have informed the IFA of Collin's sending off and left the matter with them to deal with. Whether they did or not should be of little or no interest to Dundalk fans. That simply fact is that he wasn't suspended by either governing body so there was nothing for Dundalk to be notified of.
    Neale Fenn on retiring: 'I think once you finish you might as well finish rather than making all sorts of comebacks.'

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    I must be the only Dundalk fan that is a touch nervous about this.
    The first one I have come across. (Suggest that you re-read the earlier posts for clarifications)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Celdrog View Post
    Former Portadown and Newry City central midfielder, Michael Collins, played a leading role in Dundalk's 1-0 victory, the Belfast man's competitive debut for the "Lilywhites," however, it has since come to light that Collins had been sent off in the company of Gavin Whelan during a pre-season game against Drogheda United.
    Sorry only new to this forum but had to laugh at that statement. Only Collins could manage a straight red in what must've been his debut for his new club. One of the Irish Leagues most hated thuggish players, our loss is your gain, for abuse factor alone. Aul Mickey was always a good 'un for a bit of banter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Section E Loyal View Post
    Sorry only new to this forum but had to laugh at that statement. Only Collins could manage a straight red in what must've been his debut for his new club. One of the Irish Leagues most hated thuggish players, our loss is your gain, for abuse factor alone. Aul Mickey was always a good 'un for a bit of banter.
    He has been very disciplined since he started playing so far and he has been excellent. So it is very much our gain by the looks of things

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SMorgan View Post
    The fact is that the FAI can only suspend players that are registered with them. Whelan was registered with the FAI and they dealt with him as they are entitled to.
    So going by your logic, Mental Mickey is now registered with the FAI and they are entitled to deal with him.

As he was sent off in a match under FAI jurisdiction, they can now suspend him for his red card in that match. Its quite common for players to be banned from Europe as a result of picking up cards playing for other clubs.

I don't believe Dundalk have done anything wrong, but the FAI should clarify why Collins is not getting the same treatment as Gavin Whelan, for identical offences in the same match, when their next matches were in the LOI, under FAI control.
    Hunky Dorys Park - could be worse, we could be going to Old Trafford every other week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    [QUOTE=Celdrog;1197993]So going by your logic, Mental Mickey is now registered with the FAI and they are entitled to deal with him.

As he was sent off in a match under FAI jurisdiction, they can now suspend him for his red card in that match.QUOTE]

Not quite, Say in your game against Dundee one of their players got sent-off. SFA never did anything. 5 Months later he signs for Drogs, By your logic the FAI can suspend him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    Not quite, Say in your game against Dundee one of their players got sent-off. SFA never did anything. 5 Months later he signs for Drogs, By your logic the FAI can suspend him?
    The Dundee United player would be under the jurisdiction of the SFA, a Dundalk player in a match with 2 LOI clubs should be under the FAI.
    All Dundalk were doing was waiting on international clearance, they had told the FAI he was signing.

Either way I'm just curious as to what the FAI's views are.
    Oh - and we couldn't afford a Dundee United player
    Hunky Dorys Park - could be worse, we could be going to Old Trafford every other week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    So going by your logic, Mental Mickey is now registered with the FAI and they are entitled to deal with him.

As he was sent off in a match under FAI jurisdiction, they can now suspend him for his red card in that match. Its quite common for players to be banned from Europe as a result of picking up cards playing for other clubs.

I don't believe Dundalk have done anything wrong, but the FAI should clarify why Collins is not getting the same treatment as Gavin Whelan, for identical offences in the same match, when their next matches were in the LOI, under FAI control.
    Perhaps you are correct that both Michael Collins and Gavin Whelan should each have received suspensions. But the fact remains that the FAI did not sanction Collins (for the fairly obvious reasons already spelt out) and therefore he was free to play in the match against Derry.

As an aside, apart from excellent discipline, his form and influence to date has been superb - 2 man-of-the-match preformances and 2 goals in his 3 games!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Perhaps you are correct that both Michael Collins and Gavin Whelan should each have received suspensions. But the fact remains that the FAI did not sanction Collins (for the fairly obvious reasons already spelt out) and therefore he was free to play in the match against Derry.
    As an aside, apart from excellent discipline, his form and influence to date has been superb - 2 man-of-the-match preformances and 2 goals in his 3 games!
    Ah... there is something seriously wrong here - I agree with all of that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    The Dundee United player would be under the jurisdiction of the SFA, a Dundalk player in a match with 2 LOI clubs should be under the FAI.
    All Dundalk were doing was waiting on international clearance, they had told the FAI he was signing.
    Players in friendlies dont have to be under the jurisdiction of the FAI. Sure loads of teams play trialists in them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Oh - and we couldn't afford a Dundee United player
    Wouldnt have stopped you during the "glory" days of Hoey & Doolin!!!
    Only another 9 titles till Drogheda become pride of county louth!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Players in friendlies dont have to be under the jurisdiction of the FAI. Sure loads of teams play trialists in them
    No, but the game itself is, the FAI have to approve the match.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    I might have missed it in the thread but was Collins playing for Dundalk in a friendly when he got sent off, just his international clearance had not come through at that time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I might have missed it in the thread but was Collins playing for Dundalk in a friendly when he got sent off, just his international clearance had not come through at that time?
    Correct.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Mental Mickey to join Glenavon?

Mental Mickey to join Glenavon?

Probably not, if only beacuse the Mirror apparently says so today:

GLENAVON manager Marty Quinn is plotting a return of midfielder Mickey Collins to the Irish Premier League.
    It is understood former Portadown and Cliftonville player Collins, is keen to be reunited with the manager who brought him back to the Irish League and made him a Premier League title winner in 1998.
    Collins has not featured for Dundalk in the eircom League recently due to an ankle injury and is unlikely to feature in the club’s remaining two fixtures this season.
    Speculation was mounting over the weekend that Collins, who has returned home for rehabilitation treatment on his injured ankle, was set to quit the border club.
    But Dundalk manager Sean Connor insisted last night Collins‘ future had not been decided.
    He said: “As far as I’m concerned no player at Dundalk will be discussing their future with me until the season is over. We have a couple of games left and after that I will sit down with players like Mickey and see where we go from there.”
    Connor, whose side confirmed survival in the eircom League following Derry City’s win over St Pat’s on Friday, added: “There was a fear Mickey had a hairline fracture in his ankle but that hasn’t shown up. It made sense to send him back home as he’s not expected to play in our final games he’s been put on a programme to get back from that injury.”
    Collins was at Darlington when Quinn, who had managed him in the Cliftonville Olympic side, lured him back to the Irish League.
    A fiery love-hate character in local football, Collins could land a January transfer-window move from Dundalk to Glenavon, where Quinn has created a revival of fortunes since landing a three-and-a-half year deal in February.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    I thought this thread was long done and buried! CHeers Ezequiel!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I think it's fair to say that Mental Mickey hasn't been quite as mental as we all thought.

The rest of the team sure made up for it, though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I'm just loving the suggestion that we might have the money to take an issue like this to the courts...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123