Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Shamrock Rovers V Real Madrid

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoversHead View Post
    The richest club in football rents from Manchester city council .
    No, they don't.

They lease the site. There's a huge difference. Most notably that (for the duration of their 250 year lease) they actually control the site and what goes on.

I agree that it's fairly common on the continent, but very, very few clubs in Britain don't have control of their grounds. Doncaster and Swansea are the most high profile cases I can think of right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoversHead View Post
    The richest club in football rents from Manchester city council .
    Do Real Madrid play in Manchester?
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    For a number of reasons, Shels had to play a number of D1 games in the last few years at Whitehall, due to Tolka been unavailable. Were they therefore kicked out of their own ground?
    I don't know the reasons why Shels played elsewhere but was it their own decision to move?

Shams had no choice as the owners of the ground told them they can't play there.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    It was a good showing for Shamrock Rovers and the ground looked good with the extra seats in.
    Last night was Shamrock Rovers's night and not the LoI night. If it was a LoI rep side that played Real Madrid then we can say it was good for the league but it wasnt so all the credit goes to Rovers and not to the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by incident View Post
    I agree that it's fairly common on the continent, but very, very few clubs in Britain don't have control of their grounds. Doncaster and Swansea are the most high profile cases I can think of right now.
    Brighton is another high profile example in England.

Bournemouth rent their stadium for over £30,000 a month.

I'm sure there are others - particularly at the lower end of the senior pyramid - if I could be arsed to think about it.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Brighton is another high profile example in England.

Bournemouth rent their stadium for over £30,000 a month.

I'm sure there are others - particularly at the lower end of the senior pyramid - if I could be arsed to think about it.
    Given that Brighton are in the 3rd tier and haven't been successful in decades, I wouldn't consider them high profile.. Besides which they're currently desperately trying to get a stadium of their own - as are Rotherham who've also lost their traditional home in recent years and been forced to bunk into a council run athletics stadium.

The specifics of who owns a particular ground aren't all that important. The point I was trying to make is that the big issue is operational control. Bournemouth may rent the ground, but I believe they get to choose what happens there, get to keep any non-Bournemouth income generated there, etc. And they don't get SDCC telling them to bugger off and play elsewhere cos a more important team are in town..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    It does seem similar to the council telling leinster league teams etc that they cant play on sunday morning due to the pitch being unplayable.

After saying that its still Rover's new home no matter what is said and done.

One thing though, will the council do this again and tell rovers that they cant play on friday night due to them wanting the ground for a sports day or something? or something similer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    Do Real Madrid play in Manchester?I

The question was "the richest club".........................not the club with the biggest debt in the world.
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No, they don't.

We are neither a part of or in Britain BUT we are a part of Europe

We are tying to get a team in the European Champions League and not a British League
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Given that Brighton are in the 3rd tier and haven't been successful in decades, I wouldn't consider them high profile.. Besides which they're currently desperately trying to get a stadium of their own - as are Rotherham who've also lost their traditional home in recent years and been forced to bunk into a council run athletics stadium.
    Brighton's planning was given the green light (my cousin works for the Brighton-Hove Council and worked on their application) and I hope to go have a look at the plans and possibly site when over there in a few weeks. Will see them in their old stadium against Stockport County while am there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    We are neither a part of or in Britain BUT we are a part of Europe

We are tying to get a team in the European Champions League and not a British League
    +1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Such limited thinking. Why do we always have to look to Britain?

Rovers fans, don't pay any attention to the begrudgers!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joema View Post
    Such limited thinking. Why do we always have to look to Britain?
    Why, because we follow a garrison game. It's a little known fact that to play for an LOI club your grandfather has to have killed AT LEAST 6 rebels during easter 1916, and you have to take a crap on the tricolour while singing "God Save the Queen" before being allowed into any of the grounds.

Any patriotic Irishman should support their local GAA team and only their local GAA team. And whoever Roy Keane happens to be managing.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    No surrender to the Gaaliban ever ,only played by those not good enough to play the beautifull game anyway.over funded at the exspence of other sports and as for RTE not having the budget to show Bohs in CL while having money to show endless rubbish from the Gaaliban code feck off would ya .

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    Brighton's planning was given the green light (my cousin works for the Brighton-Hove Council and worked on their application) and I hope to go have a look at the plans and possibly site when over there in a few weeks. Will see them in their old stadium against Stockport County while am there.
    No you won't, I was in their old home the Goldstone Ground which was demolished in 1997, it reminded me of Dalymount

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Why, because we follow a garrison game. It's a little known fact that to play for an LOI club your grandfather has to have killed AT LEAST 6 rebels during easter 1916, and you have to take a crap on the tricolour while singing "God Save the Queen" before being allowed into any of the grounds.

Any patriotic Irishman should support their local GAA team and only their local GAA team. And whoever Roy Keane happens to be managing.
    What absolute rubbish. (And I know you are being sarcastic, or at least attempting to be )

My post was in no way anti British. Was just saying that perhaps we would be better off exploring other avenues, as opposed to just mimicking the English way of things....IMO, this approach hasn't helped us too much in the past!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/multimedia/wallpapers

A nice Ricer v Ronaldo wallpaper from the game now available here.

bhs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappagh Red View Post
    No you won't, I was in their old home the Goldstone Ground which was demolished in 1997, it reminded me of Dalymount
    I think she means their current squat - the Whitdean Stadium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post

I hope that was a joke.
    You've got no fans.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    FFS lads, of course it was a joke!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Any proper Irish sports fan should support their country (be it soccer, compromise rules, rugby, cricket...) then their county GAA and local LOI team... you're from Ireland, your county, and the loality of your team. Beyond that you've no mandate to support someone.

In either case, a good performance from Rovers and a terrible one from many of the new Galacticos. Benzema caused some problems and I can see him being worth alot more to Madrid than Ronaldo, regardless of him being only a third of the price.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234