Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Friendlies...

rerun

Friendlies...

I just scanned the match report of the Shamrock Rovers - Newcastle United game and couldn't believe what I'd read. Don't get me wrong with this, I know people want to see all the well known players that the foreign team might have, but Newcastle made 11 changes for the second half! There's no way an Irish club has the finances to support a squad of that depth and quality (I'm using the word loosly here, we are talking about Newcastle after all). They went in 0-0 at half time, which says to me that Rovers were in the game somewhat (or at least they were defending well). It's obvious when a second Newcastle team arrives out on the pitch for the second half that the Rovers team would be up against it, 11 players with fresh legs etc.

Ok, glamour friendlies are glamour friendlies and I understand why they are there, but after reading posts here about comments that Irish Newcastle Utd. supporters were making on the Luas, it seems to just play into the hands of the bigger team by allowing them to field two sides. The barstoolers see what they want, which is an Irish team getting a tanking by a British team. Will they be back to Tallaght? Probably not, busy planning another trip to the north-east of England and spouting rubbish that there's no quality in the "domestic" league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Unfortunately its the only way barstooler's money goes towards an Irish club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I couldn't go to the match last night as I was at a christening but manage to watch the game on T.V in the bar. The amount of rubbbish from barstollers was unreal.

Two of them behind were laugh at me watching and getting excitied over 'that st!te'. The coveration went a little like this.

"Who'd go and watch that? The state of the ground and Tolka Park is the best of them!"

"I know. Sure Bohs a got a draw of some Swiss or Austrian team during the week. You'd think they won the Champions League. Makes a difference from losing to teams from San Marino or the Faroe Islands."

"Here mate, you should follow a real team like the Pool. Us Scocser for the League".

Brain dead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    ROvers played their B team against Newcastle. Maybe mention that to them next time...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    ...beat me to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rerun View Post
    I just scanned the match report of the Shamrock Rovers - Newcastle United game and couldn't believe what I'd read. Don't get me wrong with this, I know people want to see all the well known players that the foreign team might have, but Newcastle made 11 changes for the second half! There's no way an Irish club has the finances to support a squad of that depth and quality (I'm using the word loosly here, we are talking about Newcastle after all). They went in 0-0 at half time, which says to me that Rovers were in the game somewhat (or at least they were defending well). It's obvious when a second Newcastle team arrives out on the pitch for the second half that the Rovers team would be up against it, 11 players with fresh legs etc.

Ok, glamour friendlies are glamour friendlies and I understand why they are there, but after reading posts here about comments that Irish Newcastle Utd. supporters were making on the Luas, it seems to just play into the hands of the bigger team by allowing them to field two sides. The barstoolers see what they want, which is an Irish team getting a tanking by a British team. Will they be back to Tallaght? Probably not, busy planning another trip to the north-east of England and spouting rubbish that there's no quality in the "domestic" league.
    Rerun, They're Newcastle fans! They're deluded. Don't worry they'll be in administration within a month and we can all laugh at them as they slide all the way down to the League One.

What forum was this on?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    yep was at it.
    newcastle made eleven changes. the lad who scored the last goal actually went off at half time and came back on.
    rovers had two lads from slovakia on trial. one went off injured- both were good. the goalkeeper was on trial too, think he was scottish?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rerun View Post

I can remember when Galway United played Sunderland a couple of years ago we made about 13-14 subs in that game. I couldn't believe how many players we used that night. Admitedly some were ateamers and u21's but to make more than 11 subs was just crazy

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KBurke View Post
    Admitedly some were ateamers
    I read that as "steamers" initially. I'm going to refer to A-team players as steamers from now on.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    I read that as "steamers" initially. I'm going to refer to A-team players as steamers from now on.
    So did I.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    you have to admit.
    LOI football is hard to watch at the best of times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roinuj View Post
    you have to admit.
    LOI football is hard to watch at the best of times.
    Yeah true. But I find it easier when I wear my glasses.