Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Setanta Cup goes ahead

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Setanta Cup goes ahead

The uncertainty over the future of the Setanta Sports Cup appears to have be cleared up today with the news that the draw for this year's tournament will take place on 28 July in Abbotstown.

More here.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    It will be interesting to hear if the prize money remains unaltered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    It will be interesting to hear if the prize money remains unaltered.
    It doesn't. It will be reduced, but with the biggest cuts coming at the top end ie winners.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Despite reduced money for the top end, the incentive will still be there as there was the chance of no money at all from it before now. Great that it's going ahead.
    I'm a 23yr old right-handed heterosexual who drinks milk and likes democracy. - dcfcsteve knows me well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umberside View Post
    Despite reduced money for the top end, the incentive will still be there as there was the chance of no money at all from it before now. Great that it's going ahead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    With respect, Linfield and Glentoran were opening hostile to the tournament last season and played reserve teams in a number of matches with big money for the winners and runners-up. I don't think the Northern clubs will give the competition the time of day if the level of funding is reduced in any significant way.
    Neale Fenn on retiring: 'I think once you finish you might as well finish rather than making all sorts of comebacks.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    I think he means if the cup was cancelled, there would have been no prize money, so even if the prize money is less, it's still better than the alternative of no Setanta Cup at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Great news for the clubs involved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SMorgan View Post
    With respect, Linfield and Glentoran were opening hostile to the tournament last season and played reserve teams in a number of matches with big money for the winners and runners-up. I don't think the Northern clubs will give the competition the time of day if the level of funding is reduced in any significant way.
    I suppose that's how Glentoran made the final last year, by playing their reserve side....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Great to see that the Setanta Cup will be going ahead. Hopefully now we'll still be around to take part in the competition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    With respect - bar a single exception every year, the Irish League clubs are sh!t in the Setanta and don't get very far anyway.

They don't take Europe very seriously either, despite the significant income available there even if you only progress one round (e.g. 90k sterling in Europa League).

Let's just be honest here - the Irish League clubs don't take anything seriously outside of their own Belfast and District League. They've whinged non-stop about the Setanta since it began, so I don't expect anything would change that for them.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    With respect - bar a single exception every year, the Irish League clubs are sh!t in the Setanta and don't get very far anyway.

They don't take Europe very seriously either, despite the significant income available there even if you only progress one round (e.g. 90k sterling in Europa League).

Let's just be honest here - the Irish League clubs don't take anything seriously outside of their own Belfast and District League. They've whinged non-stop about the Setanta since it began, so I don't expect anything would change that for them.
    but am i not right in thinking there isnt as much financial problems up there because clubs aint over reaching to achieve in europe???correct me if im wrong which im sure you will,its how it appears to me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Well considering they both played pats twice, I can tell you, you're way off about them playing reserve teams.

Glentoran in particulur fought extremely hard in our games, and deservedly made the final
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    There's a bit of a contradiction here, surely?
    When you accuse IL clubs of "not taking Setanta [or Europe] seriously", that implies that they could be competitive, but choose not to.
    Yet the received wisdom generally is that bar one or two teams, IL clubs are simply not good enough to compete with their LOI [European] counterparts.
    Which is it?
    For if IL simply aren't good enough, then it arguably makes sense to concentrate on what they do well, rather than on games where the difference between "serious" and "not bothered" is a 2-0 defeat or a 4-0 defeat.
    After all, whilst the standard in domestic games may be low, that does not prevent those games being tolerably attractive, on the grounds that they are at least competitive and hard-fought etc.

That 90k figure is significantly increased from even a couple of years ago btw, nonetheless, how come so many (most?) of those LOI clubs who have won decent European prize money in recent years are now so strapped for cash?
    As Stamullendrog alludes, perhaps the pursuit of prize money will actually prove to have cost some LOI clubs, insofar as they have overreached themselves?

I sense that you are keen to do the IL down in a manner that makes your opening "With respect" anything but!
    Anyhow, imo it is misleading/unhelpful to deal in the sorts of generalisation as you do i.e. your implication that all IL clubs take the same attitude as each other, to both Europe and Setanta, for the same reasons, and from the same circumstances.
    Taking Europe this season, for example, imo the worst IL performances were by Distillery. My explanation for this is that Distillery were actually "punching above their weight" in even qualifying for Europe, this being the culmination of a very able manager's 15 year(?) reign at Ballyskeagh (Paul Kirk).
    Then when Kirk was pushed out in the close season following a Boardroom coup, this caused a number of top players to clear off, leaving the club in absolute disarray.
    Different again were Glentoran and Crusaders, with the former clearly not taking Europe seriously and up against a top team, whereas Crues are on a bit of a roll, and clearly fancied their chances against more modest opposition.
    Yet if you look at Setanta, the Glens went on a very good run last time out, falling only at the final hurdle in very difficult circumstances.
    On which point I'd say the fact that IL clubs have "whinged" about Setanta, but not about Europe, is actually a reflection that they do care to see the former run fairly and properly, even if they don't expect much in the latter.
    After all, if an IL club were eg to receive home advantage in the Final and actually win the Setanta this season, the winner's prize money might make the difference between, say, Examinership and survival...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Lads, there are tons and tons of Derry v the Irish league threads around. Don't let this one turn into anopther one. If you want to reply dcfcsteve, PM EalingGreen, or post in the dozens of threads in the Irish league section
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In all fairness Glentoran had no chance against Maccabi Haifa. Crusaders certainly tried against Rabotnicki. They got a goal in the 90th minute to keep the tie at 1-1. They stand the same chance as St Pats for qualifying.

It's more teams like Lisburn who get thrashed to a Georgian team 11-1 that gives the idea they couldn't be arsed.
    I'm a 23yr old right-handed heterosexual who drinks milk and likes democracy. - dcfcsteve knows me well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Lads, there are tons and tons of Derry v the Irish league threads around. Don't let this one turn into anopther one. If you want to reply dcfcsteve, PM EalingGreen, or post in the dozens of threads in the Irish league section
    Cop on Dodge - this isn't DCFC v the IL.

There is an issue to debate here, yet you're stamping all over it because you've put 2 and 2 together and got one and a half....

Is Umberside's post now a CCFC v IL thing ? Time to cop on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Crusaders certainly tried against Rabotnicki. They got a goal in the 90th minute to keep the tie at 1-1. They stand the same chance as St Pats for qualifying.
    Indeed there was more to it than that, for Crues had to play the last 25 minutes with 10 men, having had their Captain, Colin Coates, sent off. They then got a Penalty in the 89th minute but only hit the bar with it, but still kept going to get the equaliser in injury time.

Getting back to the Setanta, I'm sure they'd have put up a better show than eg either of Coleraine or Cliftonville, yet they don't qualify, despite having won the Irish Cup and finished 3rd in the League for 2008-09...

Still, perhaps I'd better not complain too much, otherwise DCFC Steve will cite it as more evidence of IL-types "whinging non-stop about the Setanta since it began"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Getting back to the Setanta, I'm sure they'd have put up a better show than eg either of Coleraine or Cliftonville, yet they don't qualify, despite having won the Irish Cup and finished 3rd in the League for 2008-09...
    How did they not qualify so?
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    How did they not qualify so?
    Its the 07/08 qualifiers that will play this one I think?

Very complicated.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast