Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you don't like about LOI

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umberside View Post
    Shamrock Rovers and Cork City. All the rest are pretenders.
    Self delusion lies within!

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I genuinely hate the whole shoddy mess at this stage. But I just can't make myself stop going.

In particular the staggering inability of almost all clubs to only spend what they make. This league wouldn't be half as beset by nonsense if the clubs lived in the real world occasionally.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Vocal(singing) supporters sitting in the stands instead of behind the goals.

i.e. Bohs
    Yeah man, they call gambling a disease, but it's the only disease where you can win a bunch of money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harry crumb View Post
    Vocal(singing) supporters sitting in the stands instead of behind the goals.

i.e. Bohs
    Who else apart from Cork have their singing section behind the goals?
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umberside View Post
    Shamrock Rovers and Cork City. All the rest are pretenders.
    I think the question related to "BIG" not "BROKE"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    I'd like to complain about the lack of decent vegetarian food at matches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    The worrying lack of teams below Bray in the Premier Division!

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Who else apart from Cork have their singing section behind the goals?
    top of my head I cant think of too many clubs...
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    Did you really type that with a straight face?
    Are you actually suggesting there is some sort of comparable nature between LOI fans and barstoolers?
    Anyways the whole arguement is a non runner.
    The whole basis of clubs is to represent their community, that is the core bedrock of the majority of the football world.
    The whole corporate entity that the likes of Merchandise United has created is an obsenity, it means that now it is acceptable to come from Beijing and support the local club of Manchester as its "footballing product" is superior.
    In that case if it is indeed acceptable and indeed considered only wise to do so then the only logical outcome of this globalisation process of the footballing world is that you will be left with a hand full of enormous mega clubs that provide the "footballing product" so craved after and then the weaker domestic leagues will wither away and die including the weaker clubs even in a strong league because it is deemed logical to support the super entities giving that "footballing product".
    A completely reprehensible reason for support teams that are not from your community and will only lead to the dissolution of domestic football as we know it.
    So do not even attempt to draw some moral equivilancey between barstoolers who are consumerist football "supporters" who wear a Chelsea jersey no different to how they wear an armani top, because the brand is good and LOI supporters who support their domestic and local clubs.
    We are football supporters, barstoolers are consumers.
    And if indeed you still do buy into the whole arguement that barstoolers are only seeking a "superior footballing experience" then do ask them why they dont support the Brazilian National Team instead of the ROI?
    A football club is the extension of its local community just as a National Team is the extension of the Nation, its black and white.
    So please do come up with some better barstooler drivel as to why they sing in English accents in Irish pubs to foreign teams whos real fans despise them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the fact that roddy is gone and also pre-madonna players on 3 or 4 hundred a week thinking they are messi or ronaldo
    www.castlebarceltic.com

What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoop4life View Post
    the fact that roddy is gone and also pre-madonna players on 3 or 4 hundred a week thinking they are messi or ronaldo

Before Madonna?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    top of my head I cant think of too many clubs...
    We do. Not many others though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoop4life View Post
    pre-madonna players on 3 or 4 hundred a week
    Aye, over 50's thinking that they can still play football.
    You've got no fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    not sure about spelling lads i think ye know what i mean
    www.castlebarceltic.com

What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I hate the way Cork City FC just seem to run from one crisis to another
    Guntars Sillagalis (I was at that training game as well Doolin and he was useless)

Other than that its all good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Real Rover View Post
    Are you actually suggesting there is some sort of comparable nature between LOI fans and barstoolers?
    The whole basis of clubs is to represent their community, that is the core bedrock of the majority of the football world.
    The whole corporate entity that the likes of Merchandise United has created is an obsenity, it means that now it is acceptable to come from Beijing and support the local club of Manchester as its "footballing product" is superior.
    In that case if it is indeed acceptable and indeed considered only wise to do so then the only logical outcome of this globalisation process of the footballing world is that you will be left with a hand full of enormous mega clubs that provide the "footballing product" so craved after and then the weaker domestic leagues will wither away and die including the weaker clubs even in a strong league because it is deemed logical to support the super entities giving that "footballing product".
    A completely reprehensible reason for support teams that are not from your community and will only lead to the dissolution of domestic football as we know it.
    So do not even attempt to draw some moral equivilancey between barstoolers who are consumerist football "supporters" who wear a Chelsea jersey no different to how they wear an armani top, because the brand is good and LOI supporters who support their domestic and local clubs.
    And if indeed you still do buy into the whole arguement that barstoolers are only seeking a "superior footballing experience" then do ask them why they dont support the Brazilian National Team instead of the ROI?
    A football club is the extension of its local community just as a National Team is the extension of the Nation, its black and white.
    So please do come up with some better barstooler drivel as to why they sing in English accents in Irish pubs to foreign teams whos real fans despise them.

Wow. I want to use this and email it to my brother, once a football fan, now a mere consumer and alot of my other barstooler friends as I have not seen it more lucidly described ever.

Well done boy!
    Last edited by Magicme; 20/07/2009 at 8:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    You sir, are a God.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    While I agree with some of what you've said about "barstoolers", what you have written above may once have been true in football's halcyon days, but it is true no longer. I'd wager that if the board of any club (outside Dublin at least) announced that they were no longer signing any player from outside "their community", there would be a (LOI -sized) clamour to have that board ousted.

Fans want success, and while achieving success with a team of local players is obviously the perfect fantasy, if you have to choose between the two, success will win every time.

You can look at most LOI clubs and find a couple of players who don't represent "their community" any more than Rooney represents Manchester or Ballack represents London. And if LOI teams had the money to buy players as good (compared to the general level) as them, you can be damn sure they would - some of them even do it without having the money.

And I'm pretty sure if Sligo (or any other LOI team) had a couple of hundred English people flying over to watch every home game and parading around the UK in their LOI shirts, we'd be delighted with their money.

There is a difference between choosing to represent your community and being forced to depend on it. The LOI is definitely the latter.
    Last edited by osarusan; 20/07/2009 at 9:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    It's not about forcing people to like LOI, it's about creating the impression that by not supporting LOI, you are missing out. People don't look at the league and feel they are missing out, they look at it and think you have to be hardcore to go to it. It's really a perception thing.
    For all your League of Ireland news - www.extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    What you've written above may once have been true in football's halcyon days, but it is true no longer. I'd wager that if the board of any club (outside Dublin at least) announced that they were no longer signing any player from outside "their community", there would be a (LOI -sized) clamour to have that board ousted.

Fans want success, and while achieving success with a team of local players is obviously the perfect fantasy, if you have to choose between the two, success will win every time.

You can look at most LOI clubs and find a couple of players who don't represent "their community" any more than Rooney represents Manchester or Ballack represents London. And if LOI teams had the money to buy players as good (compared to the general level) as them, you can be damn sure they would - some of them even do it without having the money.

And I'm pretty sure if Sligo (or any other LOI team) had a couple of hundred English people flying over to watch every home game and parading around the UK in their LOI shirts, we'd be delighted with their money.

There is a difference between choosing to represent your community and being forced to depend on it. The LOI is definitely the latter.
    Players dont have to be local to represent the local community. Once they pull on the shirt and take the wages they are part of that community.

Its how the club work within the community that makes the difference in the long run.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast