Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Things you don't like about LOI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    Where else can you practice your long jump while watching a game?
    Santry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Barstool to the toilet?
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Sean Connor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by roversforever View Post
    Sean Connor.
    Seconded!!
    The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.
    Muhammad Ali

Roy Keane is still a pri*k!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Real Rover View Post
    Your post is irrelevant as it completely misinterprets what I said as you do it again here.

I said.....

Hence its a cop out, its a no go, its not the reason why barstoolers dont go to games, its another spurious excuse why barstoolers dont go to games.
    I never denied that there is not an element of eletism but that is just a bullcrap cop out.

Oh no, not everyone.
    Just those who support corporate entities, and in a footballing supporter sense of the word.

No hypocricy at all to it.
    I never denied that LOI fans are superior in a footballing supporter sense of the word to barstoolers.
    I just pointed out that because some, like myself, do revel in the superiority of the LOI supporter experience that the excuse by barstoolers that LOI are eletist is the reason they support corporate entities is bullcrap. Like as was pointed out before that once you start going to LOI games you instantly lose the stigma of being a barstooler so that excuse is irrelevant and as was pointed out at the start absolute bullcrap.
    That you, the fact that you don't get how your attitude can completely ostracize potential support is what astounds me.
    You're quite happy for the league to remain small-time and shambolic as long as no-one else comes to watch.

But anyways I like that it is not a hobby horse for bandwagoner event sluts, its our thing.
    That one line sums it up, anytime anyone suggests a change it's immediately viewed with scepticism as it might take away from your personal enjoyment, f--k the fact that the league is dying on it's ar$e with clubs going into administration every 5 minutes, we don’t want any “bandwagoner event sluts” despite the fact that their cash through the gate might be the difference between survival & extinction.

You remind me of the indie-kid in school who always had to be the first person into a band and whenever they had a hit he would instantly drop them as being a sell-out.
    Like I say I have no problem with the fact that you feel superior to “barstoolers” because you are a “proper” football fan but if you think that this attitude doesn’t deter people from taking an interest or attending games then I think you’re sadly mistaken.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    we don’t want any “bandwagoner event sluts” despite the fact that their cash through the gate might be the difference between survival & extinction.
    None of these folk were turned away from Dalymount last Wednesday.

if you think that this attitude doesn’t deter people from taking an interest or attending games then I think you’re sadly mistaken.
    Even if it does, it's hardly one of the main reasons. As with your indie rock example, if I go to a heavy metal concert in a Metallica shirt and someone in a Burzum longsleeve thinks, "WTF is that poser doing here?", who cares? You'd want to be pretty thin-skinned to let something like that bother you.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umberside View Post
    There's a lot more things there though than just a football stadium. If I'm not mistaken there is an athletics track and a swimming pool there too.
    That was only there briefly a couple of Saturdays ago when Harps were on their way down.

No, the pool is quite some way away.
    Facilities-wise the RSC is top notch though. Plenty of rooms under both stands for hospitality, press conferences or whatever, wi-fi hotspots and interweb connections out the ying-yang, and the dressing rooms, I've been told by players several times, are the best in the league.
    A small stand at each end would really take the bare look off the place, that and about a thousand extra people in there.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    That you, the fact that you don't get how your attitude can completely ostracize potential support is what astounds me.
    You're quite happy for the league to remain small-time and shambolic as long as no-one else comes to watch.
    Such a pathetic excuse for barstoolers buying into the prostitution of the EPL.
    The very fact that LOI ground were sell out crowds 50 years ago with up on 20,000 attending games rubishes this theory.
    People left the LOI for the glamour and consumerist EPL for its flashy lights and prawn sandwichs, not because of "eletism".
    That one line sums it up, anytime anyone suggests a change it's immediately viewed with scepticism as it might take away from your personal enjoyment,
    Sorry are you dictating to LOI fans how thier clubs and their League should be run?
    f--k the fact that the league is dying on it's ar$e with clubs going into administration every 5 minutes,
    Pffft clubs are always dying, they have been dying since they were founded.
    Its nothing new and its nothing confined to the LOI, do you want me to list out to you the 10 most indebted clubs in the world, im sure you will find the information interesting.
    we don’t want any “bandwagoner event sluts” despite the fact that their cash through the gate might be the difference between survival & extinction.
    Ehh I think il go with the better administration option instead of putting our survival in the hands of Barstoolers.
    You remind me of the indie-kid in school who always had to be the first person into a band and whenever they had a hit he would instantly drop them as being a sell-out.
    I think you will find that it is LOI fans who stick with their teams through thick and thin and its the barstoolers who have such transient support because of such superficial reasons for supporting clubs such as, "they have an Irish player" etc.
    Like I say I have no problem with the fact that you feel superior to “barstoolers” because you are a “proper” football fan but if you think that this attitude doesn’t deter people from taking an interest or attending games then I think you’re sadly mistaken.
    As is your opinion but I disagree.
    Especially when you look at the history of football support in Ireland.
    Not to mention my own personel experience with barstoolers who have never once given "eletism" as an excuse to avoid attending ones national league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Such a pathetic excuse for barstoolers buying into the prostitution of the EPL.
    It's a point that has been raised on this thread;
    Quote Originally Posted by First View Post
    Just to add I am not a "barstooler", I do attend LOI games , when I get time, primarily Sligo Rovers and Limerick games , both clubs with an elitist attitude among some of their fans..
    I happen to agree with this and I don't believe it's anything like a cop out, and if you really wanted more people to come to the league you would take opinions of a spectrum of people and not just those who sit beside you at the games.

The very fact that LOI ground were sell out crowds 50 years ago with up on 20,000 attending games rubishes this theory. People left the LOI for the glamour and consumerist EPL for its flashy lights and prawn sandwichs, not because of "eletism".
    That's a rediculous argument, 50 years ago there was a cold war no RTE television barely any European competition, it's like comparing a Model T ford with an F1 car. The 20,000 crowds is a thing of much debate to start with but how about an alternative view on history; People left because the best players moved to England for money and better standards and the LOI simply got left behind by not moving with the times? Sky has only become a dominant force in the last 15 year, attendances were on the decline in England all during the hooligan invested 80's being a football fan was not a trendy thing to do, there was no badge of honour involved, but attendances here were already shot to pieces

Sorry are you dictating to LOI fans how thier clubs and their League should be run?
    I didn't realise you were actively involved in the running of a club or the league, I am merely putting my opinion forward on areas that need to be improved, that is if you want your league to be improved?

Pffft clubs are always dying, they have been dying since they were founded. Its nothing new and its nothing confined to the LOI, do you want me to list out to you the 10 most indebted clubs in the world, im sure you will find the information interesting.
    Go on do a list and when you're doing it include the number of versions of Cork we've had and the number of versions of Limerick we've had, the 2nd & 3rd cities in the country incapable of supporting a team for more than a couple of decades at a time.

Ehh I think il go with the better administration option instead of putting our survival in the hands of Barstoolers.
    so you would rather go bust than watch your team alongside "barstoolers"..... This is my point from the start. I guess yo umust be glad you're not a Cork City fan today.

I think you will find that it is LOI fans who stick with their teams through thick and thin and its the barstoolers who have such transient support because of such superficial reasons for supporting clubs such as, "they have an Irish player" etc.
    No one doubts your loyalty now, but what if you were playing to 20,000 a week all those Shels v Deportivo event junkies coming out of the wall like the rovers supporting Dublin Taxi drivers, from all of your posts I think it's crystal clear that you would hate it.

As is your opinion but I disagree.
    Especially when you look at the history of football support in Ireland.
    Not to mention my own personel experience with barstoolers who have never once given "eletism" as an excuse to avoid attending ones national league.
    Well my experience is clearly different, I've watched LOI football with EPL fans who would watch games at Mels on a Friday night and spend Sunday screaming at a TV, but I know people (and this site has further evidenced it), who would cite the "attitude" of some LOI fans as a reason they wouldn't go to or go back to games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    That teams get wound up while in the premier divison and get the best crowds in the league

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678