---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Anyone listening to Newstalk last night? They read out a text from someone giving out that RTÉ weren't showing the match, and then proceeded to completely ignore it for the next 80 minutes, not even giving goal updates. They did carry their LoI ads during this time though. Not showing the match is one thing - it does cost money and fills time when a bigger audience could be drawn in - but not giving updates is ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Anyone listening to Newstalk last night? They read out a text from someone giving out that RTÉ weren't showing the match, and then proceeded to completely ignore it for the next 80 minutes, not even giving goal updates. They did carry their LoI ads during this time though. Not showing the match is one thing - it does cost money and fills time when a bigger audience could be drawn in - but not giving updates is ridiculous.
    ah in fairness i was listening to off the ball last night and it was the 1 station that were keeping me updated. eoin mentioned it loads of times with the score esp after 9 o'clock and gave how much was left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    After 9, yeah, but sure the game was mostly over by then. There was nothing at all before 9. The text was read out around about kick off. They then discussed whether Richie Dunne would beat John Terry in the decathlon for half an hour.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think that the FAI should attempt to get RTE to commit to showing Ireland's CL representatives live and our Europa reps at least on a special MNS highlights program. The Irish viewership simply do not see the progress of Irish clubs in Europe but if this was reveresed some may become more interested.

For instance Derry's run in 2006 got no coverage. RTE didn't show any highlights or goals from those 3 games and I remember Steven Kenny giving out about that fact.

And Newstalk are one of the League's main sponsors. I am sure I am not alone in being extremely disappointed with their coverage of the league considering their connection with it. They give it token coverage on a Thursday and Saturday (?) and maybe ten minutes on a Friday night coming up to 10 o'clock. And that pales into complete insignificance when compared to their coverage of cycling, tennis, the gah, english/scottish and even spanish and italian football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    RTE dont care about irish sides, id say there **** there pants if bohs made the group stages. they havent a clue, look at there presenters. apart from con murphy the rest of them wouldnt have a bulls in the office id say. there a joke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    After 9, yeah, but sure the game was mostly over by then. There was nothing at all before 9. The text was read out around about kick off. They then discussed whether Richie Dunne would beat John Terry in the decathlon for half an hour.
    well daniel mcdonnell was watching it online and gave an update round 8.10. i thought eoin gave plenty of updates IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'd be willing to bet that the Derry game will get more attention on news bulletins on BBC NI and UTV than Bohs got from RTE last night.
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    well daniel mcdonnell was watching it online and gave an update round 8.10. i thought eoin gave plenty of updates IMO.
    Must've missed that. But I can almost recite the entire scoring sequence in the minor hurling game that was on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Must've missed that. But I can almost recite the entire scoring sequence in the minor hurling game that was on.
    oh i know and that was live on tg4

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Before last nights result RTE told bohs they wouldn't be broadcasting the second leg.

Next Wednesday night you will have the farcical situation where Austrian tv are sending over there own cameras/crew etc. to show the game live in Austria but our lads couldn't even drive a couple of miles!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    It was U21.
    You've got no fans.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    The point is: Football is the biggest sport in the world, The Champions' League is the biggest club competition is football. The Irish Champions are playing the Austrian Champions is the biggest club tournament in the biggest sport in the world, and RTE don't even show the goals on the News (let alone having had neither live coverage nor highlights of the game). It's inexplicable. People are quite right to be outraged about it. It's a farce.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofstan View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that the Derry game will get more attention on news bulletins on BBC NI and UTV than Bohs got from RTE last night.
    You may be right, although that's partly because the BBC up here sometimes has to go out of it's way to show it's being equal to both communities, hence making sure big City games are covered.

Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    FGS, they showed Liverpool in the first qualifying round a few years back when they drew some welsh side but they didnt show a team from our own country in the 2nd qualifying round.
    Thank you, that's the example [I was looking for last night, I'd forgotten about Liverpool in the first qualifying round.

Quote Originally Posted by dcfc1928 View Post
    I think that the FAI should attempt to get RTE to commit to showing Ireland's CL representatives live and our Europa reps at least on a special MNS highlights program.
    I don't even think they should have to be made to commit, as a public service broadcaster.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Do you remember the time they refused to broadcast Bohs' CL qualifiers because they didn't have rights to the final stages of the tournament, then showed Celtic's qualifier?
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Do you remember the time they refused to broadcast Bohs' CL qualifiers because they didn't have rights to the final stages of the tournament, then showed Celtic's qualifier?
    Probably the only country in Europe who don't have the nation's teams on national television...

well, having said that English PL teams are sometimes only on Sky but generally UTV will show, never on BBC as far as I know, so you have to watch on UTV, Sky or RTE!

Pretty disgraceful from RTE, at least delayed highlights would be appreciated!

Let's all refuse to pay our licenses, as far as I know, it's anti-EU anyway in many facets, so bring it to the top court in Europe.
    Last edited by Scram; 16/07/2009 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post
    Probably the only country in Europe who don't have the nation's teams on national television...

well, having said that English PL teams are sometimes only on Sky but generally UTV will show, never on BBC as far as I know, so you have to watch on UTV, Sky or RTE!

Pretty disgraceful from RTE, at least delayed highlights would be appreciated!

Let's all refuse to pay our licenses, as far as I know, it's anti-EU anyway in many facets, so bring it to the top court in Europe.
    I'd be up for that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Shamefull.

Ive emailed RTE countless times about their "coverage".I get the standard responce back-"we have taken your query on board and will address it and get back to you".I first emailed them in 2001 about it and im still waiting for them to get back to me in reply to my first email.
    Public Service Broadcaster my as*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    S4C have been showing life coverage of the Welsh teams in Europe this season!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    on the plus side the indo had a decent report today
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-1824447.html

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast