Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RTEngland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    As a Liverpool and Wexford Youths supporter, it is a sad indictment that RTE our national broadcaster didn't show last nites game. Much like over the course of the last decade when Derry and Cork had that great run in Europe. Even Sligo as well.

More exposure is needed, there is a lot of interest in seeing a LOI club in Europe but these fat cats don't have the balls to put the money up to support the LOI teams.
    YNWA LFC
    Forza Youths!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    look weve all come to expect this from RTE but last night took the biscuit when they put the cross channel transfer news before bohs result. i could have throttled yer one even though she was only reading it out. id love to know who put last night bulletin together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Lads RTE are incredibly lazy, and take everything from AP/reuters wire services.

At 11 there is nobody in the sports department so they show stuff they can easily access.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    I happened to switch it on just after I went to bed and I commented to the girlfriend that it was terrible to have an English football story ahead of Bohs great result, then to make it worse they only showed the preview thing from the news at six. It really was appaling and I'm not generally one to get too upset by stuff like that, I mean how difficult would it have been to ask Austrian TV for the rights to show the goals?
    Not only did they show the preview after the game, but they omitted to tell viewers that what they were seeing was archive material. So a casual viewer easily could have thought that they were watching action from Salszburg. The only clue was the Bohs-Derry score tag, but most would miss that in a 15-second clip. Dishonest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    well daniel mcdonnell was watching it online and gave an update round 8.10. i thought eoin gave plenty of updates IMO.
    I was listening to Newstalk from about 8:30 to just after 9:00. The only mention of the game I noticed was at the end of the 9:00 news. In that time they talked about a fight at a gaa match 50 years ago, interviewed some boxer and had updates on an under-age gaa match. Even something like having futbol24.com open and saying "It's still 1-0" every 5 or 10 minutes would have been useful.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    I was listening to Newstalk from about 8:30 to just after 9:00. The only mention of the game I noticed was at the end of the 9:00 news. In that time they talked about a fight at a gaa match 50 years ago, interviewed some boxer and had updates on an under-age gaa match. Even something like having futbol24.com open and saying "It's still 1-0" every 5 or 10 minutes would have been useful.
    Im a fan of Off the ball and imo its the best sports show on the radio. I was astounded by the fact that (a) no tv coverage and (b) not even radio coverage of the game, so Off the ball was the best bet or so i thought. (Wasnt near a computer to watch a stream). In their LOI section they gave a few regular updates and DMcDonnell mentioned the game as Bohs had just gone one down. After this section, there was a gap of about 40/50 mins before any further mention and then once bohs had equalised they gave a few more updates. In between all this I lost count of the amount of updates they gave of the leinster U21 final despite the fact that KK were walking the bloody thing. Very frustrating.

Then after the show, eoin made the odd reference to the great result that bohs got, upon which Ken Earley (who i do like for his EPL coverage) had not a single comment to make. Unfortunately he is reflective of alot supporters in Ireland, could tell you who pool/utd etc are playing in a friendly next week but havent a notion about their own participants in the CL. RTE's non coverage of the game only adds to this, i guarantee you people who normally wouldnt watch LOI would have tuned in last night, (a) because there is a lack of football on at the moment and (b) are more likely to watch an Irish team in Europe than a domestic game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Im a fan of Off the ball
    I actually can't stand the show, but somehow always end up listening to it. Eoin, the presenter 'pretends' to be interested in the LoI, whereas the boghead from Galway and the other lad you can barely understand either just laugh, or leave the studio everytime a LoI section comes up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    off the ball is a good show in fairness. could do a bit more on eircom league definetely seen as its a 3 hour show. id like to see an hour long bit maybe on a thursday night with the usual previews and maybe some in depth pieces on other stuff, with studio guests etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I complained to RTE. I feel like a big man now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brianw82 View Post
    I complained to RTE. I feel like a big man now.
    i wouldnt waste my time to be honest. prob already in the trash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    there on the rte radio 1 sports news. Not a mention of the upcoming games tonight. Plenty of info on the new TV deal for Scottish clubs though and Liverpool. **** this country sometimes.
    Roddy Collins, the biggest <insert as appropiate> in Irish Football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RTEngland

All, when are you going to get it. THEY DON'T CARE down through the years I have rang them, E Mailed them, spoke to the presenters, There is an agenda here and it is quite obvious. There is a story doing the rounds that the FAI in some way are paying for MNS, otherwise it would be a total blackout. What happened to the to the Friday night radio show on medium wave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Phillips View Post
    There is a story doing the rounds that the FAI in some way are paying for MNS, otherwise it would be a total blackout. What happened to the to the Friday night radio show on medium wave
    Medium wave is gone.

And the FAI have been very upfront about saying they are paying for MNS
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Con Murphy said the notion that FAI were funding MNS was "sheer fantasy", I don't believe him for a second. Head of Sport at RTÉ told me Friday Sportsnight's listenership was 2,000, I don't believe that for a second either.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Medium wave is gone.

And the FAI have been very upfront about saying they are paying for MNS
    Anyone any idea how much a show like MNS costs to put together?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    The inference from the FAI has been that they agreed to forgo €4 million from their deal with RTÉ in return for MNS going on in prime time.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Derry and Pats kick off their EL campaigns tonight. Derry kick off in about 3 and a half hours, Pats in about 5 and a half, and there is still no previews, team news etc on RTE website. Top stories as of 2:30 today- Lucio Interter deal, SPL TV rights deal and Hughes hits back at Fergie taunts.
    Last edited by thischarmingman; 16/07/2009 at 2:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieB View Post
    there on the rte radio 1 sports news. Not a mention of the upcoming games tonight. Plenty of info on the new TV deal for Scottish clubs though and Liverpool. **** this country sometimes.
    Great day for Irish football. Now all our medium talented players can join arbroath town and reith rovers.

*these teams may or may not exist*

ok i know this is not the place for it but compare support for rugby and soccer here. if you said i don't follow leinster i support toulouse or londonirish() people would be like WTF, however in football, supporting british clubs(ever notice the way people generally don't 'support' other teams from around europe, they just have an interest in them) is seemed as the normal and acceptable of occurences even from the most jingoistic tossers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    Great day for Irish football. Now all our medium talented players can join arbroath town and reith rovers.

*these teams may or may not exist*
    Amusingly, Reith Rovers does exists, but is a women's team.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Sent an email to RTE about not showing bohs. Here is what I got back:

RTE TV Sport has made a massive commitment to Irish soccer. In our current agreement with the FAI, we will have another 4½ years of MNS every Monday during the season from March to November.
    We will be increasing our coverage of League of Ireland and FAI cup football over the same period as follows:

2009 - 13 games

– 18 games

– 23 games

– 28 games

– 33 games

This shows RTE’s massive coverage plans to the game here in Ireland.

In addition RTE will have every home World Cup and European qualifier up to November 2013.

It is true that RTE will not be showing the Bohemians game. That is because our champions league coverage commences with the 3rd qualifying round.
    In the current economic climate we can’t do everything. However, we are satisfied that our commitment to Irish soccer is comprehgensive and truly reflects a commitment to use the license fee in support of the domestic game.

Many thanks for your kind comments as regards MNS.

Kind regards,

Stephen Alkin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast