Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Calling anyone that edits on wikipedia or who has good sources of information!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    What's the LOI like in comparison to say Finland or Malta on there re edits?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidatrb View Post
    This whole fully professional thing is crazy. I gave examples of golf tournaments where amateurs compete in - does that mean that Rory McIlroy is not fully professional because he plays with amateurs?
    The term 'Fully' is Wikipedia making up their own notability criteria (ironic obviously) to keep the numbers of articles created on the website at a contained level. If all Professional Sports People particularly in football the most played sport in the world were considered notable and could all potentially have articles created costs for Wikipedia would explode. Not just Sports this applies to obviously.

Still don't see any rational reason why/how Professional footballers who have competed at the highest level in a National football association domestic league or UEFA/FIFA sanctioned international competitions cannot be considered notable? Totally bizarre and discredits Wikipedia as a portal.

In fairness I remember before I gave up contributing the likes of that GiantSnowman clown were all over threatening deleting LOI club season articles and cup competition articles which luckily appear to have remained intact.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    +1 on the used to edit Wikipedia for the LOI and other bits and another to add to the list of those who gave up. Used to do the LOI for FM as well for a good few years, that was a similar experience albeit nowhere near as bad as the wikinazi's. Fella who does that now is by and large good but he's doing the north and down here by himself so a lot of gaps and wrong info still in it.

I'd be up for contributing if we can get a collective LOI wikia going. Plenty of sourceable facts and info out there that just needs to be collated together, plus I'm sure the FM lads would have no problem passing on the proper statto info.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    The term 'Fully' is Wikipedia making up their own notability criteria (ironic obviously) to keep the numbers of articles created on the website at a contained level.
    While you may be correct, the idea that the editors blocking the LOI stuff have that in mind at all sounds incredibly unlikely. Power trip. Nothing more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    JUST TO BE CLEAR I DID'nt post this but you have to agree someone has a sense of humour

Gavin Brennan

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    Personal information
    Full name Gavin Brennan
    Date of birth (1988-01-23) 23 January 1988 (age 28)
    Place of birth Drogheda, Ireland
    Height 1.89 m (6 ft 2 in)
    Playing position Forward
    Club information
    Current team Shamrock Rovers
    Number 15
    Youth career
    1995–2004 Drogheda Boys
    2005 Drogheda United Reserves
    Senior career*
    Years Team Apps (Gls)
    2008–2009 Duleek F.C
    2010 Drogheda Town
    2011–2014 Drogheda United 91 (20)
    2015– Shamrock Rovers 14 (1)
    * Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 4 May 2015.

Gavin Brennan, (born 23 January 1988), is a professional footballer who is currently a free agent, he had previously played for Shamrock Rovers. His spell came to an end after a hissy fit on social media and better talents playing ahead of him. He also cited the fact that some of the lads weren't paying subs whereas he had always paid, someone had also urinated on his gearbag and robbed his "fresh 25 Johnny Blue and red rizla".
    Contents

[SIZE=3] [[/SIZE][SIZE=3]hide[/SIZE][SIZE=3]] [/SIZE]

Playing career[edit]

Drogheda United[edit]

Signing with Drogheda United on 1 July 2010 Brennan has become a star in the Drogs line up becoming the team's captain starting in 2014. He has a brother Killian Brennan who plays for St Patrick's Athletic, a brother Seán who plays for Drogheda United and a brother Ryan Brennan who plays for Bray Wanderers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Well I think that above is the real reason that they don't want the LoI added. It discredits the wikipedia a little and happens when you have articles that are not that popular. If that happened on someone more famous the edit would be reverted in seconds.

Anyway, I think the way to play it is either

1. Go for european participation. All teams in Europa League this year come from an accepted fully pro league except for Dundalk and the two Azerbaijan teams. I think it is obvious enough that these teams are also professional on their own, just not their whole league. If that is the case then the Europa League is a fully professional League and any Dundalk player that participates should be notable.Same for Rovers players from their campaign a few years ago.

2. College athletes, and semi pro basketball players from the Development League are automatically notable if they win any of a list of awards (basically players of the season, named on team of the season, rookie of the year or whatever) or if they lead the league on one major statistic ie most rebounds, most assists, most points etc. Since college athletes are amateur and D-League basketball players are payed similar level of wage to LoI I think its a fair comparison.

So if anyone is making articles pack them with sources and references to any European appearances the players made, or with any achievements, player of the year, writers player of the year, top scorer of the year.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    i tried searching for Ciarán Kilduff on google and this comes up
    http://deletedwikipedia.gawker-labs....C3%A1n_Kilduff
    i went here
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...nd_nomination)

I left a comment but it may be difficult to restart the discussion they do seem a bit self important.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    I've long given up on arguing with wikipedia nerds who get a chubby from deleting something marginal. There's no rhyme or reason to any of it.

I would suggest that those of you with an interest contact Dahamsta about hosting a wiki. The software is free, and you could easily have loipedia.foot.ie act as a safe haven for all of that information.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    i tried searching for Ciarán Kilduff on google and this comes up
    http://deletedwikipedia.gawker-labs....C3%A1n_Kilduff
    i went here
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...nd_nomination)

I left a comment but it may be difficult to restart the discussion they do seem a bit self important.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    I got a response to this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Fenix_down

I will do the leg work cos im bored. But im not an expert on LOI at all. specifically he is looking for reliable sources that detail Ciarán's notable "notoriety" as distinct from "inheriting" notoriety from Dundalk's exploits. So articles on his recovery for example etc. Ill have another look but I may be out of my depth.

Hi Fred, I would make several observations:
    1. Firstly, playing in the competition proper is only relevant per WP:NFOOTY when the player involved is playing for a team in a fully professional league against a club from another FPL. As Dundalk are not in an agreed FPL, and he has not played senior international football or in an FPL for any other team, he cannot fulfil NFOOTY.
    2. As such, he will need to satisfy GNG. I would caution that the achievements of Dundalk as a team should not be misconstrued as conferring notability on the individual players involved per WP:NOTINHERITED. Those players still need sufficient significant, independent coverage on themselves to satisfy GNG. This however does not mean he cannot be notable, nor that his European exploits have not now generated sufficient coverage to satisfy GNG.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    I got a response to this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Fenix_down

I will do the leg work cos im bored. But im not an expert on LOI at all. specifically he is looking for reliable sources that detail Ciarán's notable "notoriety" as distinct from "inheriting" notoriety from Dundalk's exploits. So articles on his recovery for example etc. Ill have another look but I may be out of my depth.

Hi Fred, I would make several observations:
    1. Firstly, playing in the competition proper is only relevant per WP:NFOOTY when the player involved is playing for a team in a fully professional league against a club from another FPL. As Dundalk are not in an agreed FPL, and he has not played senior international football or in an FPL for any other team, he cannot fulfil NFOOTY.
    2. As such, he will need to satisfy GNG. I would caution that the achievements of Dundalk as a team should not be misconstrued as conferring notability on the individual players involved per WP:NOTINHERITED. Those players still need sufficient significant, independent coverage on themselves to satisfy GNG. This however does not mean he cannot be notable, nor that his European exploits have not now generated sufficient coverage to satisfy GNG.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    a google search has me mostly discussing his impact on the game (but ur man says the match reports wont hold up much) and his injury, recovery etc. If there is anything else floating around that I have obviously missed let us know..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Malcolmxl5

I had asked his page be restored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    he was deleted before and I had him restored as there was a consensus before that European games counted as fully professional. So that was the shamrock rovers campaign. For some reason they deleted him again and now they are more picky about including European games.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidatrb View Post
    For some reason they deleted him again
    These days it seems that if you make any improvements wikis of LOI players, it just draws attention to it and they delete.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    So Ciarán Kilduff's page has been reactived. Ive updated the most recent bits, given his goal and added bits and pieces here and there

I deleted a bit about Pats cos I couldnt source it so feel free to add/update with more in depth info (appearances/goals?):

After weeks of being an unused substitute and failing to make matchday squads, manager Liam Buckley agreed to let Kilduff leave the club although only if any interested clubs pay a fee rumoured to be around €15,000 as he still had a year and a half remaining on his contract.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky12345678 View Post
    So Ciarán Kilduff's page has been reactived. Ive updated the most recent bits, given his goal and added bits and pieces here and there

I deleted a bit about Pats cos I couldnt source it so feel free to add/update with more in depth info (appearances/goals?):

After weeks of being an unused substitute and failing to make matchday squads, manager Liam Buckley agreed to let Kilduff leave the club although only if any interested clubs pay a fee rumoured to be around €15,000 as he still had a year and a half remaining on his contract.
    I've just deleted it again there for you sparky to save time.*

*I haven't really.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Nice job sparky

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456