Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Premier Clubs To Recieve € 15,000 Each - Reports

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    The players want the mid-season break, so it stays.

The close season is very long at 4 months, but I'd say the people involved in the voluntary day to day running of clubs are very glad of it. (I know I only do the programme and the website, and I've taken a liking to the long break!) Also, it keeps costs down, as part-time players are only paid for the length of the season. Longer season = more wages (and other expenses)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brianw82 View Post
    Agreed. No need for midweek fixtures at all. The close season is awful long as well, almost 4 months for all clubs (except those in the cup final) The season could easily be extended, and it would probably suit all concerned.

However, if the mid-season break is such a bother, why have the clubs not objected to it? If enough of them had done so, surely it would have been scrapped by now?
    100% spot on Brian, mid week fixtures are a disaster in this league, I`ve argued many times before that apart from an FAI cup replay (and a decent one at that) the public are just not interested in domestic mid week football, it will never work, attendances over the past 4 years for all clubs have shown this when they play these silly mid week lge games. Extend or start earlier, its very simple, the avg loi fan is a week to week fan, the only place these mid week games work is in england, the wonderful fans of clubs in lge 1,2 etc all pay out decent money to watch their teams twice a week some months, it will never work over here.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12