Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bohs to go part-time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    It's almost as if you're saying footballers are dense.
    No i'm not, i'm saying they are human and trying to manage a full time training regime (and possible fitness schedule or focused training schedule on top of that) and a full time degree is impossible. If they have to try and juggle both for four years then one or both will suffer.

Also, i'm not on about just making up the numbers in class or the pitch, i'm talking about a serious effort at both.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Wise up.

I'll point you to the legions of well qualified intercounty players. I can only speak from a northern perspective but the lads at Queens and J'Town were treated the same as normal students.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maribor View Post
    Defo should be part time.

It is like an arms race, with everyone driving each other into liquidation with the scramble to get the best players.

Look at the top three
    - Bohs: Kept afloat on the basis of borrowing on a disputed land deal
    - Cork: Examinership twice in several years, current problems are well documented
    - Derry: Basically afloat as we sold three players to Scotland and had a draw which raised over £100k, however we are selling next year's season tickets early as a means of keeping going

I could keep going through the League.....

Meanwhile clubs which run themselves well like UCD are being relegated as they aren't playing stupid wages to keep up with this lunancy.

The improvement in the quality doesn't equate to the higher wages and consequently higher prices required to sustain this.

The clubs are raping fans at the minute, with no sustainable plan to grow attendances and retain current fans.
    I think you will find the third placed team in the league does not pay crazy money to players, runs a tight financial ship and has a squad with a mixture of part time and full time players

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    I dunno man, i'm on about player who want to give pro football a serious go over here and concentrate on that mainly. Allowing them to do a degree over six years will help with the work load in college and train properly as well. Any shorter and it would be hard to manage.
    Six years is also far too long for a player to tie himself to any one club. How many players in the league are with the same club six years? If a club releases a player, what happens to his course?

Also, how do you think the UCD players juggle doing a normal full-time college course and what isn't far off a full-time football career (in terms of hours, not money)? Full-time football isn't a 9-5 job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HulaHoop View Post
    I think you will find the third placed team in the league does not pay crazy money to players, runs a tight financial ship and has a squad with a mixture of part time and full time players

Caught

I actually started by saying top four, then realised I'd be including you lot.....

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Has anyone told Delaney and the other clowns at the FAI? A fully pro, 10 team league isn't sustainable - who'd have thunk it?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    part time football is a waste of time.
    What are the other viable options?
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Also, how do you think the UCD players juggle doing a normal full-time college course and what isn't far off a full-time football career (in terms of hours, not money)? Full-time football isn't a 9-5 job.
    Exactly, Aside from travelling & playing matches a LOI fulltime player would not put in anything like the hours of a full-time non-football job. They'd be lucky to spend half a day on football per day. Neal Horgan did a law degree while at Cork City & we would have more travelling than probably any club.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Caught

I actually started by saying top four, then realised I'd be including you lot.....
    I do understand your point though about clubs driving each other into liquidation in an arms race. It's nearly all over now though. A few years ago we had, Shels, Drogheda, Cork, Pats, Bohs, and to a lesser extent Derry, Galway and Sligo paying ridiculous money to players and driving themselves off a cliff. Now Shels are gone, Pats are back to reality, Drogheda are back to reality same with Galway and Sligo, Cork are about to go under, Derry are cutting back and Bohs are going back part time (if they survive at all that is) The house of cards has fallen in, it's now a level playing field for everyone again - survival of the fittest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It doesn't give me much pleasure saying this, but Rovers are likely to reap the rewards of their sanity next season. Debt-free, decent crowds, and, with us likely part-time and without Fenlon, and Cork ....... well, you should be well in contention.
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofstan View Post
    It doesn't give me much pleasure saying this, but Rovers are likely to reap the rewards of their sanity next season. Debt-free, decent crowds, and, with us likely part-time and without Fenlon, and Cork ....... well, you should be well in contention.
    I certainly hope so but I think we all know football is not a black and white game. Things that should happen sometimes don't. Put it this way I won't be counting any chickens just yet although it does look very promising for us right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Derry are cutting back
    Despite the words of this, I have yet to see any evidence of the same.

Still the same ridiculous wages, excessive overnight stays and various other extravagances.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Despite the words of this, I have yet to see any evidence of the same.

Still the same ridiculous wages, excessive overnight stays and various other extravagances.......
    Thats not true, we cut back on other things, like merchandising and infrastructure

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    I hear you cut back on transfer fees too.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Irish Indepentent Article

Bohemian FC's future at stake over €58m deal with Carroll

By John Mulligan
    Thursday June 25 2009

A €58m deal between League of Ireland champions Bohemian FC and a company controlled by embattled developer Liam Carroll could be increasingly under pressure, raising fresh prospects that the Dublin club may have to resort to rapid financial restructuring in order to survive. It might even contemplate making its players part, rather than full-time employees.
    Auditors who signed off the club's recently-filed accounts at the Companies Office, have also expressed uncertainty over Bohemian's ability to continue as an on-going concern after a €1.9m operating loss in the last financial year propelled its accumulated losses to more than €2.6m.
    Bohemian FC signed a deal in 2007 to sell its grounds at Dalymount in north Dublin to Liam Carroll's Danninger vehicle. The acquisition by Danninger would include a cash payment of just over €38m and an undertaking to construct a 10,000-seater stadium valued at €20m for the club at Harristown. It's understood that the football club has received fresh offers for the grounds within the past few months and that it would be willing to allow Danninger to break the purchase contract in return for a fee, or possibly to renegotiate the purchase price. While the club has already received €2.6m from Danninger, it's understood that no further payments are due, pending the resolution of a legal battle between the club and rival property firm Albion.
    Last year the High Court instructed the football club to hold a portion of its grounds in trust for Albion, refuting a contention by Bohemian FC that no redevelopment agreement had been concluded between the club and the property firm. On Monday, Irish Nationwide commenced legal action against Liam Carroll, claiming he had personally guaranteed up to €60m in loans made to one of his numerous property firms, Aifca.
    Danninger has recently had to secure additional bank financing to overcome cashflow issues and has asked creditors to write off up to 40pc of their debts.
    In its company accounts, Bohemian directors state that they are confident the club can return to profitability within one to two years and that if its financial health further deteriorates, assets could be revalued to reflect a higher value than that currently on the club's balance sheet.
    - John Mulligan

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...l-1789170.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    part time football is a waste of time.
    Damn straight.

Liquidation is the way forward people !

That and little green men from Mars living inside the mind of the world's leaders.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    It's understood that the football club has received fresh offers for the grounds within the past few months and that it would be willing to allow Danninger to break the purchase contract in return for a fee, or possibly to renegotiate the purchase price.
    Bloody hell- it would be some coup to get a fee off Danninger considering Bohs agreed to sell them land that wasn't theirs!
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Bloody hell- it would be some coup to get a fee off Danninger considering Bohs agreed to sell them land that wasn't theirs!
    The idea of Danninger paying anyone anything in their current state is, frankly, laughable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    The idea of Danninger paying anyone anything in their current state is, frankly, laughable.
    Keeping the 2 million they got already would be a decent result.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Student View Post
    Keeping the 2 million they got already would be a decent result.
    Yes it would . Looking more and more likely that the Irish Nationwide case will have a knock on effect and a deal will be done that allows Danniger to walk away from their agreement on Dalymount, which has ,in reality been a dead duck since the High Court decision.
    Will still leave the club with some major financial re-structuring to have a hope of coming within 65% cap this year.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast