Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mid Season 10 team league structure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    The only thing in favour of 10 teams over 12 teams is that its better to play each other 4 times than 3 times. Or at least it's fairer to play each other 4 times than 3. Unfortunately we've seen time and again that there is not enough quality in the league to support a 14 or 16 team Premier.
    There is the current 10 teams as well as Shels, Waterford, UCD and Fingal and then two other teams out of the current crop! You even go with 14 play each other twice and then split the league and play each team in whatever half you finish in once more! I know there would be one team missing each week but it would urge teams to keep competing even if they where in mid table!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    The 10 league structure is rubbish imo. Teams face each other way too often when you take the possibility of playing each other in the cup into account.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sheao View Post
    The 10 league structure is rubbish imo. Teams face each other way too often when you take the possibility of playing each other in the cup into account.
    Way too often? so you'd like to see them play each other once less? Once too many is way too many?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Aye. We'll have met each other 6 times by the end of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Way too often? so you'd like to see them play each other once less? Once too many is way too many?
    Yes i would actually,When you take the cup games into account you could play a team more than the 4 games in the league. Just look at City v Sligo as an example

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Yes i would actually,When you take the cup games into account you could play a team more than the 4 games in the league. Just look at City v Sligo as an example
    Ya im sick of the sight of ye lads (no offence) and we still have to play each other twice more.

In my opinion mulitiple meetings of teams is dilluting clashes that your team and supporters might otherwise feel are 'the usual big game against ... ...'
    Last edited by redobit; 25/06/2009 at 9:34 PM.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    My point was that last year it was only one game less. I wasn't disagreeing with your point, I was just poking fun at you saying way too often

No worries...
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Ya im sick of the sight of ye lads (no offence) and we still have to play each other twice more.

In my opinion mulitiple meetings of teams is dilluting clashes that your team and supporters might otherwise feel are 'the usual big game against ... ...'
    Likewise,we have to face a trip up to Sligo on a Sunday :P .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sheao
    When you take the cup games into account you could play a team more than the 4 games in the league. Just look at City v Sligo as an example
    At least you're playing a semi-decent team. We have 6 games against Drogheda this season, and 5 against Pats (as opposed to 3 last season).

10-team league is a disaster imo. Not enough teams, too many series, too many games, and not enough crowds throughout. And there's the backlog of games from European ties to come.

Much preferred the 12-team league, even if it wasn't the best system. There's enough clubs now to form 2 14-team leagues.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    At least you're playing a semi-decent team. We have 6 games against Drogheda this season, and 5 against Pats (as opposed to 3 last season).
    Love this line -so how often and by what scores did you whip these so called poor sides in the league? My view would be that the current structuie results in fewer whipping boys, I remember in the 12 team league that quite often the bottom 3 were well a drift at this stage of the season - look how tight this season is. now in saying this I do feel that the 10 teams is also too small but I feel 16 teams would result in a lot of whipping boys with nothing to play for by mid season which does no one any favours.

How about reducing the league to two series of games in a 10 team div. Beef up the league cup (lots more money, tv games etc) to mix the 1st and prem div teams in a CL style format. or maybe even a CL format for the FAI Cup?
    Last edited by SeanDrog; 26/06/2009 at 7:59 AM.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    Love this line -so how often and by what scores did you whip these so called poor sides in the league? My view would be that the current structuie results in fewer whipping boys, I remember in the 12 team league that quite often the bottom 3 were well a drift at this stage of the season - look how tight this season is. now in saying this I do feel that the 10 teams is also too small but I feel 16 teams would result in a lot of whipping boys with nothing to play for by mid season which does no one any favours.

How about reducing the league to two series of games in a 10 team div. Beef up the league cup (lots more money, tv games etc) to mix the 1st and prem div teams in a CL style format. or maybe even a CL format for the FAI Cup?
    I would agree with you to a point on the 12 team league. I wouldnt remember a second from bottom or third from bottom finishing well adrift from the rest but I would remember bottom teams allright ie Galway Utd in 01/02 season I belive got 10 pts and dundalk got 39 pts so there was a big gap between both teams
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    There's no reason that can't happen in a ten team league as well though.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    true !the only way around it is do what they did up to 84/85 season combine the two divisions together and have a promotion/relegation playoff between top performing A league team and bottom of the league of ireland. then you wont have the problem of playin teams too often!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    [QUOTE=mypost;1183598]At least you're playing a semi-decent team. We have 6 games against Drogheda this season, and 5 against Pats (as opposed to 3 last season).

Yeah and it took a replay to actually beat the worst team with the lowest budget in division .Great to see the arrogance of shams back with a vengance We not good enough for you now ffs

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    From a 1st division perspective the main problem with the 10 team premier is that it is harder to get into, and harder to stay in if you do get promoted.

I never had a problem with the whole 4 times a season thing in the first div, but I dont think its suitable for prem. Although it is fairer.
    LTID

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post

10-team league is a disaster imo. Not enough teams, too many series, too many games, and not enough crowds throughout. And there's the backlog of games from European ties to come.

Much preferred the 12-team league, even if it wasn't the best system. There's enough clubs now to form 2 14-team leagues.
    But ye don't have far to travel to Drogheda ,For both City and Sligo supporters have to travel nearly the length of the country depending on who's playing away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    But ye don't have far to travel to Drogheda ,For both City and Sligo supporters have to travel nearly the length of the country depending on who's playing away.
    For some of these teams you'll have no extra away games, and you'll have either 1 or 2 extra away games in total.

Whatever about the familiarity of it, the amount of trravelling can't be a reason to dislike the 10 team league
    ---

Formerly skibbereen co.cork but now Oregon USA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I think a 12 team league with a split like the SPL less walkover games in the 2nd half of the season and a few less games but that would not be great for the 1st division in my mind or

2 leagues of 10 (kildare enough said) drop the bottom 2 in the 1st division to the a championship, it wouldnt be a bad move for them really, less traveling costs.

but i really think we should not have a midseason break. (midweek games are no good)
    Last edited by citybone; 29/06/2009 at 2:35 PM.
    west cork district league
    west cork commandos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post

Thats the way to go plus no more sturid midweek league matches

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12