Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tonights Latest - June 19/09

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Thanks....now that you mention it, i think I was there for that 2-1, but one nice thing about growing old is that you forget stuff really easily
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofstan View Post
    - have you beaten us since you came back up?
    I think we beat ye in 2006 under Connor in Dalymount too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers1 View Post
    I think we beat ye in 2006 under Connor in Dalymount too.
    23rd June 06. 2-0 to Rovers.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Good win for wexford
    For all your League of Ireland news - www.extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Shams 1 up.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
    Good win for wexford
    it was a poor game and wasnt a patch on the cup matches. youths scored from their only shot on target liam lynch should have scored from ours. I rather the league win than the cup win thanks very much. roll on the transfer window
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    It's always interesting to hear the viewpoint of opposition fans for a match you have both watched. Both teams took it in turns to be poor - Cork in the first half and Dundalk in the second half. With a numerical advantage and two goals up at half time, there was no excuse for Dundalk surrendering territory and so much of the ball in the second period. Behan, Faz and to a lessor extent O'Donnell certainly made a difference when introduced and it is to Corks credit that they forced the game in the second half, even if no clear cut chances were created, Behans excellent goal aside.

But the game was won and lost in the first half, with Dan Connor being culpable for both goals. Shane Duggan should also hold his hand up in the Cork dressing room for getting himself foolishly sent off (ref had no option). Dundalk were far from awful in this key period and I thought totally dominated the exchanges, irrespective of the two goals.

I think most neutrel observers would agree that Dundalk deserved their win, and seem to be turning a corner with 3 wins on the spin.

Greatly looking forward to the candystripes visit to Oriel in a fortnight
    I do think ye were terrible though-the midfield looked poor and I thought the defence lacks movement (well heary and burns I guess are not getting any younger)-however, your team has goals in it and that'll see ye through to a safe mid-table position by the end of the year I would guess. Connor hasn't put together a great squad for ye but it'll be enough.

I didn't think ye played well though, just in the first half-we were so bad-it would have been criminal if ye weren't two up!!! I can't begrudge Dundalk the win at all-I honesty thought we were in for a heavy-sack beating come half-time. Nice to see Doolin take off Greg and bring on the Beast-as well as o'Donnel later on who was superb.

Hancock was also very poor last night-he gave a rake of cards out and had clearly lost control on occasion. The peno and sending off were completely correct decisions though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Thank God the summer break has come for Galway United ! Hopefully we can get our injury crisis sorted by the time we come back.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph McSweene View Post
    I do think ye were terrible though-the midfield looked poor and I thought the defence lacks movement (well heary and burns I guess are not getting any younger)-however, your team has goals in it and that'll see ye through to a safe mid-table position by the end of the year I would guess. Connor hasn't put together a great squad for ye but it'll be enough.

I didn't think ye played well though, just in the first half-we were so bad-it would have been criminal if ye weren't two up!!! I can't begrudge Dundalk the win at all-I honesty thought we were in for a heavy-sack beating come half-time. Nice to see Doolin take off Greg and bring on the Beast-as well as o'Donnel later on who was superb.

Hancock was also very poor last night-he gave a rake of cards out and had clearly lost control on occasion. The peno and sending off were completely correct decisions though!
    I can understand your disappointment, particularly with the recent poor run of results for Cork.

But either you are used to a very high standard of football or else were seeing the match in a one-eyed way. Dundalk totally dominated in the crucial first half and I think were far from "awfull" - you are right about Heary and Burns lacking mobility, but were not exposed on the night (Heary was Setanta MOTM). The Dundalk midfield is unbalanced out wide, but in Michael Daly and Chris Turner have two of the best midfielders in the country.

Hancock is a standing joke, and all decisions were a lottery, but he was right in the two crucial decisions (penalty and sending off). The number of yellows was a farce in a game that was not dirty (par for the course in LOI this year), but the level of dissent from Cork players meant that they were the authors of their own misfortune
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 21/06/2009 at 3:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    I can understand your disappointment, particularly with the recent poor run of results for Cork.

But either you are used to a very high standard of football or else were seeing the match in a one-eyed way. Dundalk totally dominated in the crucial first half and I think were far from "awfull" - you are right about Heary and Burns lacking mobility, but were not exposed on the night (Heary was Setanta MOTM). The Dundalk midfield is unbalanced out wide, but in Michael Daly and Chris Turner have two of the best midfielders in the country.

Hancock is a standing joke, and all decisions were a lottery, but he was right in the two crucial decisions (penalty and sending off). The number of yellows was a farce in a game that was not dirty (par for the course in LOI this year), but the level of dissent from Cork players meant that they were the authors of their own misfortune
    We can be disappointed in our own performance and still evaluate the quality of the opposition.
    The first half the other night was the worst half of football Ive ever seen a City team play apart from the shame that was Finland.

Yes Dundalk dominated, but the way City were playing, my college ladies soccer team would have dominated. Dundalk are a poor side, we were even worse.

We were shocking for most of the second half too and with 10 men still managed to come within inches of getting a draw

We were an absolute disgrace. We started players who wouldnt get their games for decent 5 a side teams and Dundalk deserved the win.

But that doesnt mean that ye arent a poor side, it just means ye werent as bad as us.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    We can be disappointed in our own performance and still evaluate the quality of the opposition.
    I could not agree more.

Yes Dundalk dominated, but the way City were playing, my college ladies soccer team would have dominated.
    I understand the exaggeration to make your point that.

We were an absolute disgrace. We started players who wouldnt get their games for decent 5 a side teams and Dundalk deserved the win.
    Have you an opinion as to why Faz, Behan and O'Donnell did not start?

Cork certainly missed Joe Gamble and Billy Dennehy (he was excellent against us in Oriel Park earlier in the year)

But that doesnt mean that ye arent a poor side, it just means ye werent as bad as us.
    In many ways I agree with you that Dundalk have been poor overall this season. But I disagree that they were "awful" or "poor" on Friday, particularly in the crucial first half. However I can't understand the mentality that allows a 10 man team so much posession and territory as they did in the 2nd half. If Dundalk had played as they did in the 1st half throughout the season they would be competing for Europe rather then 5 points off the bottom.

Dundalk have the nucleus of a good team, with 3 wins on the bounce to boost confidence, and particularly if the July signings gel, will be facing the 2nd half of the season with some optimism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Because Paul Doolin is an idiot would be my guess

In many ways I agree with you that Dundalk have been poor overall this season. But I disagree that they were "awful" or "poor" on Friday, particularly in the crucial first half.
    We'l just have to disagree on it. For example Sligo the week before were a far stronger team than Dundalk, and they're no great shakes.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Hancock is a standing joke, and all decisions were a lottery, but he was right in the two crucial decisions (penalty and sending off). The number of yellows was a farce in a game that was not dirty (par for the course in LOI this year)
    What is it with him?
    Blowing the whistle as loud as he possibly can and then running threateningly towards the player who commited the foul (or not in most cases), waving the card in the most theatrical way possible.
    The mans more than a joke, he is now a verb. (and not a nice one)

Also I don't think I have ever seen a team waste as much time in that 2nd half (and my God we've seen it all over the years)
    The crying wolf was such that when a player was seriously injured it was almost overlooked.
    It should have been 10 minutes minimum at the end (not that we'd have scored but just to annoy Dundalk)
    Mansaram commited at least 5 or 6 cynical fouls with no card.
    And to finish no one bar Healy is fit to wear the City shirt.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    What is it with him?
    Blowing the whistle as loud as he possibly can and then running threateningly towards the player who commited the foul (or not in most cases), waving the card in the most theatrical way possible.
    The mans more than a joke, he is now a verb. (and not a nice one)

Also I don't think I have ever seen a team waste as much time in that 2nd half (and my God we've seen it all over the years)
    The crying wolf was such that when a player was seriously injured it was almost overlooked.
    It should have been 10 minutes minimum at the end (not that we'd have scored but just to annoy Dundalk)
    Mansaram commited at least 5 or 6 cynical fouls with no card.
    And to finish no one bar Healy is fit to wear the City shirt.
    Bit harsh on Danny no? He was basically the only defence we needed in the second half-the Beast also came on and did his best to change the game.

Flash did get away with murder in the game as well but I just wasn't surprised given it was Hancock. I was down in the bottom corner of the Shed and I swear he had a big grin on his face when he booked Pat Sul. What's wrong with him?

Cork certainly missed Joe Gamble and Billy Dennehy (he was excellent against us in Oriel Park earlier in the year)
    Seemed like an act of desperation from Doolin, changing up our entire strike force because we've not been scoring. I have no idea why O'Donnel wasn't starting, although I can kind of understand his loyalty to playing Killer and Duggan. They've played well over the past few months to be fair to them.

In many ways I agree with you that Dundalk have been poor overall this season. But I disagree that they were "awful" or "poor" on Friday, particularly in the crucial first half. However I can't understand the mentality that allows a 10 man team so much posession and territory as they did in the 2nd half. If Dundalk had played as they did in the 1st half throughout the season they would be competing for Europe rather then 5 points off the bottom.

Dundalk have the nucleus of a good team, with 3 wins on the bounce to boost confidence, and particularly if the July signings gel, will be facing the 2nd half of the season with some optimism.
    Oh ye do have the core of a good side-the centre-backs, though not the most mobile as I've said, are both former league winners for a reason. Chris Turner is an outstanding midfield prospect-and one of the better midfielders outside of City's team in my book. I've not seen a lot of Daly yet so I can nay comment on him. I think ye lack a bit of drive from the position though-something Mental Micky would have added to be fair to Connor.

Out wide and at full-back ye are a bit weak though, and that Strikeforce can be very on again/off again. Although if ye get someone like Ger Rowe playing well, it would be a big help. Definitely survive this season but there's a need to push on for next season. I agree though with Micls that Sligo were a better side, and I think Galway are as well. I reckon only Drogs and Bray are worse at the moment. (and us if we keep playing like we did in that first half)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234