Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 5126

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Unfortunately I don't think we will get any of the players on "polsters" list, the only one we might get in Bamford
    Hogan has had half a year to declare and has not
    Bamford is a long shot
    Redmond has said he is waiting for England full stop
    I wasn't aware we had approached Hogan, I would have guessed some comms must have happened though. Seen the twitter stuff with Redmonds mother aye, proud Irish woman no doubt. All three would be great, but up to them. Realistically do not see any future for any of them with England, ok, any could earn a few caps perhaps, but no long term careers there for them unless things change drastically.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Polster View Post
    I wasn't aware we had approached Hogan
    Did you have a nice time away on Mars ?

3. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Did you have a nice time away on Mars ?
    don't claim to be a super fan of any kind, just dip in and out really

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I remember when you did.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I remember when you did.
    Busier these days :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Really, like who?

We all know Ireland is Bamford's second choice. We also know that he identifies with his Irish roots, which you blatantly questioned before shamelessly backtracking.
    He does? Someone else is after saying it's his mother/extended family that identifies with his roots. Either way it's irrelevant. The player has shown no interest in declaring and nothing he has accomplished over the last two years makes him worth pursuing.

There are probably people more in tune with their roots than him who have shown little to no interest in declaring for us.

Scott Hogan currently. Jamie O'Hara spoke positively of his roots but (paraphrasing) said he felt English and didn't want to take an opportunity from someone who feels Irish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I've said this before but there is no point pining for Hogan, Bamford, Crowley, Davies, Noble etc, etc.

History shows that eligible players who end up declaring for us do so under the radar (Christie) or without a need to chase their signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    He does? Someone else is after saying it's his mother/extended family that identifies with his roots.
    Why would he play for our U-18's if he doesn't identify with his Irish roots?

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    The player has shown no interest in declaring and nothing he has accomplished over the last two years makes him worth pursuing.
    He was interested enough to play for our U-18's and interested enough to state that he wouldn't rule out the option of declaring in the future. Other than actually declare and say goodbye to his first preference, what more evidence are you looking for to show he could be interested? He also said it was a tough decision to switch to England, why bother even saying that if he doesn't identify with Ireland at all?
    Last edited by DeLorean; 17/01/2017 at 10:11 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Polster View Post
    I agree with this, Messi clearly would prefer out, the lad Matip at Liverpool has decided he'd prefer not to bother now. Even Ribery and Lahm have retired at and early age.

Anyway, I have no problem with a lad looking at Ireland as a second best option. It can be a genuine case of him feeling more English but having a real connection through family to Ireland as well. Who's to say lads like Townsend/Aldo/McCarthy/Hughton would not have played for England if they had been called up there first, and didn't Houghton turn to us after being snubbed by Scotland.

Anyway, without going back over dozens of pages here, could anyone give me a brief on the prospects of these lads?

Hogan
    Bamford
    Redmond

Anyone else that is performing well now we are or should be trying to enlist?
    - Hogan has had "The Chat" with Martin O'Neill and we're waiting for an answer. TOWK believes that the delay in willingness to commit since he became a serious prospect last Spring/Summer is an indication of lack of interest and may well be right. On the other hand Hogan has said that he wanted time to think it over as he was returning from a serious injury so I guess it would be reasonable to give him a bit more time and we can hold out hope up to the next international break. Beyond that, I think we can move on.
    - What Bamford actually has said was that he has Irish relatives who are encouraging him to switch but added "I feel English, or at least I think so"
    - No real sign of Redmond coming on board

As regards other potential players, Lukas Jutkiewiecz has started to score regularly this season for Birmingham, in his late 20s. Martin O'Neill has mentioned him as a potential recruit.
    Former Manchester United and England youth striker Will Keane, after a few underwhelming loans, made a permanent move to Hull, went straight into their first team, issued a come and get me plea to Martin O'Neill, and promptly picked up a season-ending injury. He's just turned 24 so it might be worth following his progress next season

Actually one of the most important things for the management team to do is pay close attention to a number of youth players who are breaking through but could yet jump ship - the likes of Connor Ronan, Olamide Shodipo, Corey O'Keeffe, Tom Field , Josh Cullen and Josh Barrett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Don't know if this is verified but Callum Robinson was mentioned on YBIG tonight as eligible, the lad on the end of Horgans assist at the weekend. Ex Villa player, now surrounded by Irish at Preston.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Don't know if this is verified but Callum Robinson was mentioned on YBIG tonight as eligible, the lad on the end of Horgans assist at the weekend. Ex Villa player, now surrounded by Irish at Preston.
    I wonder if that's the case. Looked to have serious potential against Arsenal.

Only thing is, the time there was the original fuss about Grealish, there was another young Villa player that had a couple of caps with us, Jordan Graham. They'd both have been in the same youth squad and have played similar positions as Robinson and I remember mixing Robinson up for Graham before. Slight possibility that's the case.

Graham is at Wolves now and has done little at Wolves since he went there from Villa, by the way.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post

Actually one of the most important things for the management team to do is pay close attention to a number of youth players who are breaking through but could yet jump ship - the likes of Connor Ronan, Olamide Shodipo, Corey O'Keeffe, Tom Field , Josh Cullen and Josh Barrett
    No harm to keep an eye but in the case of the majority of those players, I don't think there's much to worry about. Ronan chose us. Shodipo re-affirmed how much it means to him playing for us. Cullen switched from England. Barrett has always been with us and his parents are Irish-born.

I agree with your point though. Can never be too safe since the Grealish incident but the names I've mentioned don't provide me with any doubts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post

Graham is at Wolves now and has done little at Wolves since he went there from Villa, by the way.
    I think he is injured..he seems injury prone..but he was performing quite well off the wing before that
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    No harm to keep an eye but in the case of the majority of those players, I don't think there's much to worry about. Ronan chose us. Shodipo re-affirmed how much it means to him playing for us. Cullen switched from England. Barrett has always been with us and his parents are Irish-born.

I agree with your point though. Can never be too safe since the Grealish incident but the names I've mentioned don't provide me with any doubts.
    And what do you do with them anyway? What does "pay close attention to" mean? I think we all agree that underage selection has been baffling down the years but other than picking the right players on merit and communicating well with them there's nothing else to do, is there?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    - Hogan has had "The Chat" with Martin O'Neill and we're waiting for an answer. TOWK believes that the delay in willingness to commit since he became a serious prospect last Spring/Summer is an indication of lack of interest and may well be right. On the other hand Hogan has said that he wanted time to think it over as he was returning from a serious injury so I guess it would be reasonable to give him a bit more time and we can hold out hope up to the next international break. Beyond that, I think we can move on.
    - What Bamford actually has said was that he has Irish relatives who are encouraging him to switch but added "I feel English, or at least I think so"
    - No real sign of Redmond coming on board

As regards other potential players, Lukas Jutkiewiecz has started to score regularly this season for Birmingham, in his late 20s. Martin O'Neill has mentioned him as a potential recruit.
    Former Manchester United and England youth striker Will Keane, after a few underwhelming loans, made a permanent move to Hull, went straight into their first team, issued a come and get me plea to Martin O'Neill, and promptly picked up a season-ending injury. He's just turned 24 so it might be worth following his progress next season

cheers for that, appreciated, and agree, Will Keane is an interesting one especially with the prospect of his twin ending up with England

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    And what do you do with them anyway? What does "pay close attention to" mean? I think we all agree that underage selection has been baffling down the years but other than picking the right players on merit and communicating well with them there's nothing else to do, is there?
    Could send Roy Keane around and give their door a Knock.....I don't know whether that would be an encouragement or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Only thing is, the time there was the original fuss about Grealish, there was another young Villa player that had a couple of caps with us, Jordan Graham. They'd both have been in the same youth squad and have played similar positions as Robinson and I remember mixing Robinson up for Graham before. Slight possibility that's the case.
    Info was based on someone having spoken to his cousin, Irish on his mothers side so probably not mistaken identity however far from conclusive eligibility also.

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Info was based on someone having spoken to his cousin, Irish on his mothers side so probably not mistaken identity however far from conclusive eligibility also.
    Interesting. Just have confused Graham and Robinson a few times myself. Hence my guess. He looks a good player if he finds consistency. Wouldn't complain if he wanted to play for us.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Just as you said - if they are making a breakthrough, just have management go and watch them, have a chat and let them know that there is a clear path to the National Squad if they continue to progress and then use friendlies to blood players in. And communication is important - Cyrus Christie has said that having Martin O'Neill show the respect of speaking to him personally (as opposed to the English FA sending him a letter) was a major factor in his decision to represent us. Now as Ole Ole noted, the chances of them switching may be low, but giving some younger players game-time early in their senior career serves a second purpose (even if there are other players currently ahead of them on merit): by the time the next qualifying campaign rolls around, a youngster with only a dozen senior games under his belt currently, might be a fully fledged Championship star - so it'd be good if he had a couple of caps under his belt in advance of that. So I reckon MON and Keano should be looking at giving a few uncapped players a run-out against Iceland and looking at summer friendlies to give the opportunity to more. Luckily it seems like they are thinking along those lines - picking Callum O'Dowda for the games against Belarus and Oman would have given Martin O'Neill the confidence to put him on for his competitive debut against Moldova, where he played a role in the build-up to one of our goals.

Now by my reckoning, there are currently well over twenty uncapped players or players with only a few caps who could justifiably be included in the squad for Iceland. Of course, if you put too many of them in the team, it may become a pointless exercise, as you do want to see how they fit in with the current squad. So closer to the date I plan to put a list up of those with a potential claim to a place, so everybody can debate who should get a place when compared to the others (rather than promoting their favourite LOI/SPL/League One player without consideration to three or four Championship players who could stake a claim for the same position)

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I think most of us know that our chances of attracting 2g or 3g foreign born potential players decrease as their respective ability/success increases.
    Except if they are Northern Irish.

Oh yeah, I went there!