Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 5126

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Are Dempsey and Donovan actually Irish-American?

They have Irish sounding surnames but I have never been able to find anything to suggest they are Irish and/or eligible apart from unsourced Wikipedia edits and IrishCentral (which is not very reliable).
    The article states that Donovan had a grandmother from Kerry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Limerick's Chiedozie Ogbene confirmed the other week that he would choose Nigeria over Ireland if an international call comes: https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...-on-the-bench/

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Cowzer
    Ogbene ultimately wants to move abroad and win international honours, having moved to Cork from Lagos, Nigeria 12 years ago after his father got a nursing job.

He added: "I’m still waiting for that international call, be it Nigeria or Ireland. It could happen some day, I’ll just keep believing and keep working hard, hopefully it will be happen. Obviously my heart belongs to Nigeria. One day I’d love to wear the Golden Eagle. Nigeria would be first for me."

Cork has been his home since 2005 — he has the accent and still lives there, commuting to Limerick for training.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Limerick's Chiedozie Ogbene confirmed the other week that he would choose Nigeria over Ireland if an international call comes: https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...-on-the-bench/
    Fair play to him. Honest and proud I hope he gets chance to wear the Nigerian Jersey

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    He shouldn't be pursued by Ireland. "Be It Nigeria or Ireland"... that should rule him out for us. Shodipe didn't "obviously" want to play for Nigeria firstly but best of luck to him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    He shouldn't be pursued by Ireland. "Be It Nigeria or Ireland"... that should rule him out for us. Shodipe didn't "obviously" want to play for Nigeria firstly but best of luck to him.
    Has Olamide Shodipe spoken of possibly switching to Nigeria or have I misunderstood?

I honestly wouldn't get too hung up on Ogbene's words. What I mean is that I'd respect his wishes but wouldn't hold his words against him in the sense of excluding him for all eternity from possible future consideration for us. He's obviously proud of his Nigerian heritage and that's completely understandable and reasonable - it's where he was born and it's where his parents and family are from, even though he has spent most of his life to date in Cork, has a Cork accent and grew up playing GAA - but he would also be happy to represent his adopted nation (even if we're not necessarily his preference) and he previously (last December) stated the following on the matter:

Quote Originally Posted by Chiedozie Ogbene
    An [international] opportunity hasn’t come my way yet but when it does I have a difficult decision to make.
    If he was ever considered good enough to play for us, I would have no qualms with the FAI making an effort to try and persuade him to declare for us. If it turned out to be fruitless, so be it; no harm done. Can we seriously expect that a lad who moved to Ireland in his youth, having been born in Nigeria, would lose all attachment to his homeland? It's to be entirely expected that he would have a split or dual sense of allegiance. It's only natural.

Even though he has spent his entire teenage life and footballing career to date in Ireland, I'd like to think that if he did declare for Nigeria over Ireland, in spite of being good enough to play for us, that we'd respect that and wish him no ill will. It would be hypocritical of us to harbour resentment in light of the fact we've been so happy down through the years to benefit from declaring dual national players who've spent their entire club careers playing in another country.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    There was speculation. I'm referring to the fact that Shodipe chose us over Nigeria who, by all accounts, were actively pursuing him.

Strawman stuff above, Danny. Nobody has mentioned anything resembling "ill will". It's all completely understandable.

I just think if he's stated his preference is Nigeria then he should pursue that and we shouldn't pursue him. It would be a waste of energy on a couple of fronts; if he's good enough for Ireland, he's probably not far off being of the level for Nigeria and, having seen him a couple of times, I'm not sure if he will ever be of the level required for either. Happy to be proven wrong on that front though.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 17/06/2017 at 8:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Strawman stuff above, Danny. Nobody has mentioned anything resembling "ill will". It's all completely understandable.
    Hadn't meant to direct that at yourself personally. I'm aware you wouldn't bear ill will towards a player in such a situation. I was making a more general reference, just based on how some Irish supporters reacted to, say, Jack Grealish deciding against playing for us.

I just think if he's stated his preference is Nigeria then he should pursue that and we shouldn't pursue him. It would be a waste of energy on a couple of fronts; if he's good enough for Ireland, he's probably not far off being of the level for Nigeria and, having seen him a couple of times, I'm not sure if he will ever be of the level required for either. Happy to be proven wrong on that front though.
    Aye, it's hard to know. He's still relatively young, mind.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Video here of Paddy McEleney's amazing goal against Drogheda last Friday night: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017...f-derby-magic/

Quote Originally Posted by RTÉ
    Dundalk produced a derby demolition at United Park as they romped to a 6-0 win against Drogheda, but it was Patrick McEleney's gorgeous solo goal that brought the house down.

The silky Derryman oozes class and he stamped it all over the Lilywhites' resounding win just before half-time.

Skipping past tackle after Drogheda tackle, McEleney capped his run with a beautifully judged chip over the despairing dive of Stephen McGuinness to put his team 3-0 up.

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    FC Cincinnati midfielder, Aodhan Quinn, qualifies and could be playing MLS next season if his team gets included in the expansion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aodhan_Quinn - his father, Brian, was born in Belfast and played 48 times for the US national team

Edit: Earliest FC Cincinnati could be given MLS Status would be 2020: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npyJlUbKcpw
    Last edited by samhaydenjr; 20/06/2017 at 3:34 AM.

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I can't wait to hear American commentators pronounce his name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Guy I used to know called Aodhan went to Australia for a year, working on building sites. None of the locals could pronounce his name, so they called him Eamon! He was going out with a girl I shared a house with when I first moved to Dublin.
    He was from Armagh, thickest northern accent I ever heard, knew him nearly two weeks before I could understand him.

Sort of related, Oxford tweeted a link on how to pronounce 'Fiacre': https://twitter.com/OUFCOfficial/sta...05095790456832
    That's not how I'd pronounce it, it's closer to fee-uch-re than that example
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 20/06/2017 at 1:45 PM.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I knew of a fella called Aenghus Ryder... Poor b**tard
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Sort of related, Oxford tweeted a link on how to pronounce 'Fiacre': https://twitter.com/OUFCOfficial/sta...05095790456832
    That's not how I'd pronounce it, it's closer to fee-uch-re than that example
    What the hell? Who pronounces Fiacre like that? Who spells the name that way even? Seems wrong altogether to me.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I knew of a fella called Aenghus Ryder... Poor b**tard
    I work with a Willie Cumming. You'd think he'd go by William as a damage limitation exercise but no, proud as punch.

He even has Willie on his work email signature. Fair play to him for embracing it.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Well. lets not keep them in suspense. How do you pronounce it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    AyoDawn
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    D sound or G sound? I'd pronounce it "Ay-gawn", but then I'm a southsider.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I'd just have said it was a variation of 'Eoghan', and as such pronounced Owen.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Video here of another lovely Paddy McEleney goal this week to put Dundalk 3-0 up against Finn Harps: https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/878351474010488832

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    A lot of talk about Trevor Clarke potentially leaving and Maguire actually leaving. There hasn't been anything about McEleney. I would have assumed he'd be on the radars of Championship clubs. He definitely has pushed on a level since the Peterborough close move.