Page 1 of 139 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 2775

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

  1. #1
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,263
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 218 Times in 161 Posts

    Potentially eligible players thread

    Now all elligble to play for Ireland. And Stephen Ireland has made it clear through Shay Given that he wants to come back into the squad ( I guessed at that yesterday). Interesting times.

  2. #2
    Reserves joema's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    884
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Ireland said what to Given?

    I really hope Noble, O'Hara and Nolan don't go on to play for us! (Ireland too, for that matter!) Don't think the three mentioned want to play for us anyway!

  3. #3
    First Team irishfan86's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,016
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked 92 Times in 63 Posts
    Kevin Nolan could be useful to look at in the centre of the park if he was willing to play for us.

    Not sure it would be a massive improvement over Whelan and Andrews, but he had a lot of impressive seasons with Bolton.

    Noble would be a great acquisition if he was interested, but he's young and I'd be surprised if he didn't try to bide his time for an England call-up.

    Jamie O'Hara has been less impressive than last season, but could still be a good player for us when he matures. I doubt he'll ever be good enough for an England call-up, so if he's smart he'll sign up with us.

    I don't think he would fit into Trap's system though- not disciplined enough for the middle, and not skilled enough for the wing.

    And, do you have a link about Shay Given's comments?

  4. #4
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,263
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 218 Times in 161 Posts
    From my WH supporting friends Mark Noble of the 3 will declare for Ireland. And thankfully Trap will have the final say anyway. Stephen Ireland is coming back whether you, me or anyone else disagrees.

  5. #5
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,263
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 218 Times in 161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Kevin Nolan could be useful to look at in the centre of the park if he was willing to play for us.

    Not sure it would be a massive improvement over Whelan and Andrews, but he had a lot of impressive seasons with Bolton.

    Noble would be a great acquisition if he was interested, but he's young and I'd be surprised if he didn't try to bide his time for an England call-up.

    Jamie O'Hara has been less impressive than last season, but could still be a good player for us when he matures. I doubt he'll ever be good enough for an England call-up, so if he's smart he'll sign up with us.

    I don't think he would fit into Trap's system though- not disciplined enough for the middle, and not skilled enough for the wing.

    And, do you have a link about Shay Given's comments?
    This is from the Monday Examiner
    Irishfan86
    And then, of course, there is the unique case of Stephen Ireland. Trapattoni confirmed that he is keeping the lines of communication open with the absentee Manchester City player through direct contact, through his manager Mark Hughes and through the player’s Irish team mates – Shay Given and Richard Dunne – at Eastlands

    Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/sport/ireland...xzz0HnNkgDPE&C
    Remember football can be a really cruel game ala Gary Waddock losing out to Jason Macateer 1994. Also Radio 5 have been saying for almost a week that Ireland wants to return.

  6. #6
    Reserves joema's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    884
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Kevin Nolan could be useful to look at in the centre of the park if he was willing to play for us.

    Not sure it would be a massive improvement over Whelan and Andrews, but he had a lot of impressive seasons with Bolton.

    Noble would be a great acquisition if he was interested, but he's young and I'd be surprised if he didn't try to bide his time for an England call-up.

    Jamie O'Hara has been less impressive than last season, but could still be a good player for us when he matures. I doubt he'll ever be good enough for an England call-up, so if he's smart he'll sign up with us.

    I don't think he would fit into Trap's system though- not disciplined enough for the middle, and not skilled enough for the wing.

    And, do you have a link about Shay Given's comments?
    I hate your attitude.

    Where's the pride? Depressing stuff

  7. #7
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,263
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 218 Times in 161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joema View Post
    I hate your attitude.

    Where's the pride? Depressing stuff
    Trap like Charlton (Cascarino, Houghton, Aldridge, Houghton) and Giles (Heighway, Mancini, Dempsey, Rpbinson) will call up who he believes will help the team within Fifa rules. The pseudo morality you seem to be alluding too is laughable when you consider the make up of our country. We have nationalties friom all over.

  8. #8
    Reserves joema's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    884
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Trap like Charlton (Cascarino, Houghton, Aldridge, Houghton) and Giles (Heighway, Mancini, Dempsey, Rpbinson) will call up who he believes will help the team within Fifa rules. The pseudo morality you seem to be alluding too is laughable when you consider the make up of our country. We have nationalties friom all over.
    There lies the difference...what you call "pseudo morality", I call "pride".

    Still, if Trap goes on to achieve anything like the success of Charlton than I'll be as happy as anyone.

    I'll support my country regardless. I'll do so for the Irish born lads and the lads who, although born abroad; are Irish.

    I will not be happy to see Noble, Nolan or O'Hara play for Ireland, because they want to play for England...simple as that.
    It is here that I have particular respect for the likes of Kilbane...who turned down England when he was younger.
    The only laughable thing is you describing my outlook as such!

  9. #9
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,263
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 218 Times in 161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joema View Post
    There lies the difference...what you call "pseudo morality", I call "pride".

    Still, if Trap goes on to achieve anything like the success of Charlton than I'll be as happy as anyone.

    I'll support my country regardless. I'll do so for the Irish born lads and the lads who, although born abroad; are Irish.

    I will not be happy to see Noble, Nolan or O'Hara play for Ireland, because they want to play for England...simple as that.

    The only laughable thing is you describing my outlook as such!
    Lets be honest here. A large percentage of players who declare for Ireland are players who have NOT been selected by England *or in a few instances Scotland, Wales or NI). They declare for us because it is a professional decision. They want to further their football careers. Cascarino is a prime example. But when we have home grown players not interested in playing for Ireland (SI)then someone like Cascarino seems like a hero because he put in a shift every time he put on the Green jersey.

  10. #10
    Reserves joema's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    884
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Lets be honest here. A large percentage of players who declare for Ireland are players who have NOT been selected by England *or in a few instances Scotland, Wales or NI). They declare for us because it is a professional decision. They want to further their football careers. Cascarino is a prime example. But when we have home grown players not interested in playing for Ireland (SI)then someone like Cascarino seems like a hero because he put in a shift every time he put on the Green jersey.
    And you don't think I'm aware of that?

    I know what you are saying, and the Irish national team has a long history of recruiting such players...often to great results!

    That, however, does not mean that supporters should adopt the attitude of "we'll take anyone"!

  11. #11
    First Team irishfan86's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,016
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked 92 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joema View Post
    And you don't think I'm aware of that?

    I know what you are saying, and the Irish national team has a long history of recruiting such players...often to great results!

    That, however, does not mean that supporters should adopt the attitude of "we'll take anyone"!
    I'm a pragmatist. If a player can improve us, and he is eligible, he should be contacted. Instead of "we'll take anyone," which I disagree with, I would say, "we'll take anyone who can make us better."

    Furthermore, things are a bit more complicated than "I love England, therefore I shouldn't represent Ireland."

    If a guy is born in England, and raised by English parents, he may love England; however, if he has an Irish grandparent, he may also have a love of Ireland as well.

    Just because a player wants to play for England first, doesn't mean he doesn't want to play for Ireland at all- indeed, perhaps it didn't occur to him that he could ever play for Ireland.

    To add to my argument, a lot of the "grannie rule" acquisitions have been legends in the green shirt, and helped us achieve great things by our standards.

    We are a nation of only 4 million, and our diaspora is a resource we simply must make the most of.

  12. #12
    First Team irishfan86's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,016
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked 92 Times in 63 Posts
    I thought I'd also add some other players who could play for us as a result of this:

    Dave Kitson- Not sure he'd improve us but he could be an option (has turned us down before and I don't know if he would add to the squad).

    Anton Ferdinand- Could be useful given our lack of depth at centre-half.

    Gary Cahill- I know he's just been called up to the England squad, but I also read somewhere he is eligible.

    Kyle Naughton- May become an option later if England chances don't materialize.

    Barry Maguire- This ruling eases the pressure on him to make a decision in the next little while.

    Please add confirmation for these players if you know. I'm sure there are others out there as well that normally we wouldn't think of as well, so feel free to add others you know of.
    Last edited by irishfan86; 08/06/2009 at 7:39 AM.

  13. #13
    Reserves DeNiro's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    615
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Firstly, did anyone notice that Newcastle got relegated. I don't hear of a clamour of prem clubs looking for Nolan. That might tell you all you need to know. He's had enough chances to declare and didnt. Secondly, Noble is a more interesting proposition, but does a competitive U21 England cap not rule him out anymore? I gave up following those rules on eligibility so I may be wrong. O'Hara has done nothing. It reminds of Dean Marney who scored a cracker for Spurs in one game and someone found out he had an Irish parent. Flash in the pan. O'Hara is probably the same. If I was going after anyone it would be Kyle Naughton of Sheff Utd, seemingly Man U are interested in him.
    'And Crouch must score'

  14. #14
    First Team irishfan86's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,016
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked 92 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeNiro View Post
    Secondly, Noble is a more interesting proposition, but does a competitive U21 England cap not rule him out anymore? I gave up following those rules on eligibility so I may be wrong.
    Under the old rules, yes it would rule him out if he didn't switch to us before his 21st birthday; however, FIFA have changed that rule, so that you can switch nationality at any age assuming you haven't received a senior cap for another country.

  15. #15
    Seasoned Pro jbyrne's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    2,729
    Thanks
    430
    Thanked 518 Times in 317 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post

    Anton Ferdinand- Could be useful given our lack of depth at centre-half.
    no thanks. far too error prone and not good enough. simple as

  16. #16
    First Team irishfan86's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,016
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked 92 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    no thanks. far too error prone and not good enough. simple as
    We're just very thin back there at the moment. What if a nightmare situation happened where Dunne was injured and O'Shea suspended?

    We're left with Sledge and McShane at the heart of our defense...I'm not championing Ferdinand as a starter for us, but I think he would add to our squad in terms of providing cover.

  17. #17
    First Team Mayo Red's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Location
    It's all in the name!!
    Posts
    1,022
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Could be wrong on this but I think I read in the papers before that when the FAI enquired about O'Hara's eligibility they discovered that his Irish connection was a generation too far back, i.e. Great Grandfather or something.
    The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.
    Muhammad Ali

    Roy Keane is still a pri*k!

  18. #18
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,315
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 189 Times in 126 Posts
    Whatever about the others, calling up Nolan would not sit easy with me. He has been approached in the past and didnt show much interest, in fact i think there is a fairly extensive thread on him here.

    Generally, Im all for diaspora been called up. However i prefer it when its not the case that the particular has little or no chance of been called up for his native country. Take a few from the past and present, McCarthy, Aldridge, Houghton, S Reid for example, its not inconceivable that these players couldve realistically played for their native country but all opted for us at a relatively young age.

    As for SI, i really dont think Trap should call him up this campaign unless the squad are unanimously in agreement with the decision.

  19. #19
    First Team drummerboy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2004
    Location
    drumcondra
    Posts
    2,466
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 88 Times in 60 Posts
    The only one I'd be interested in would be Noble. I wonder if there are any decent left backs out there who would qualify. I not sure I actually like this rule, but if it improves the team is probably the duty of the manager to explore any possibilities.
    Always look on the bright side of life

  20. #20
    First Team irishfan86's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,016
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked 92 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    As for SI, i really dont think Trap should call him up this campaign unless the squad are unanimously in agreement with the decision.
    Trap, although a gentleman, doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to be sentimental.

    He's not going to bend over backwards to get Ireland back. He's just going to let him know that he's welcome back.

    Obviously there is a cutoff point, and for some that would have been the Nigeria friendly, or perhaps the friendly we had before that.

    If Ireland returns now, some would call it a chicken little situation, but I don't think of it that way. Although the squad have accomplished much so far, our ticket to South Africa isn't confirmed yet.

    We look on pace for the playoffs, but what good is it making that far if we can't advance because of a lack of quality?

    Ireland could be the difference maker, and it's not too late for redemption.

    If I were Trap, I'd invite Ireland to the friendly against Australia. This would let him learn Trap's system and methods, and would allow the media to go nuts about his return in a non-crucial match.

    With that distraction out of the way, we would go into the competitive situation in September with a player that could make our team significantly better.

    I've seen some hate filled, vitriolic posts on this issue, but I don't think it's the way forward for us.

    I'm not a religious man, but the parable of the prodigal son is probably one I'd recommend for the lot of you.

    Let's forgive Ireland, who made some bad decisions (who didn't in their early 20s?), and be men about it as supporters. Let's show some maturity and take a step forward by giving the lad a second chance.

    Ireland will be stronger with Ireland in the lineup, and he will enjoy a more fulfilling career by playing a key role for us.

    It's easy to be bitter and resentful, and hurl childish insults towards Ireland, but it doesn't get us anywhere.

    Let's forgive him, bring him back, and move on.

Page 1 of 139 1231151101 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Retired Players Thread
    By tetsujin1979 in forum Ireland
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11/11/2017, 12:01 PM
  2. Potentially eligible players thread
    By TheOneWhoKnocks in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26/01/2017, 8:43 PM
  3. Potentially eligible players thread
    By liamoo11 in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20/08/2015, 12:27 AM
  4. Potentially eligible players thread
    By liamoo11 in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19/08/2015, 6:39 PM
  5. Former players thread
    By pineapple stu in forum UCD
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 05/08/2009, 2:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •