Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 5128

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    what exactly does this mean? My opinion is that we should be actively and intentionally trying to ensure that this type of representation of the League happens - through a complete overhaul of the domestic game from grassroots up to League football. Obviously, it would make no sense to impose minimum representation provisions on the squad as it is just not realistic and would not be addressing the root cause of the issue. In fact, it would probably be detrimental to the intent. Is that what you are getting at?

Its interesting really and in a lot of ways we are in both a fortunate and unfortunate situation. If we get the domestic model right we would have the best of all worlds. A four-pronged approach to international success: 1) quality domestic production playing at home (30%); 2) English based Irish developed players (30%); 3) English based English developed players (30%); 4) 2g/3g players (10%). I think that would be a very fair expectation of a successful domestic model. [by the way 2) is those players that spent a bulk of years playing the domestic game and moved over in early to mid 20's - 3) is those players that were the cream of the youth crop that moved over to England in their teens (16-19) and made it through that cut-throat environment.]

The unfortunate side of that is that we have gotten lazy and allowed the English system to carry us almost entirely. We have zero 1's, about 20% are 2's with the rest made up of 3's and 4's. At the very least we need to be intentionally rebalancing that through how we structure our system and invest in our domestic product. I have highlighted the word intentionally there because the 20% or so that are currently 2's in the model I'm using is born out of necessity rather than strategy. It is as a result of the changed dynamics of English footy than anything the FAI has done to shift the balance back towards domestic football.

In short, back to the point of the discussion above, it is not and never should be a case of either/or. It is not a case of not wanting or not valuing our 2g and 3g or belittling their contribution. There is a role for all comers but we do need to focus on self development and control of our footballing destiny.
    I agree that we should be optimising all the domestic inputs. This applies to the League, underage football, coach development and recruitment, facilities, workings of the FAI etc.

And while I’d roughly agree with what type of representation across your 4 categories might represent “success”* I think quotas are always dangerous, with unintended consequences. I’m not sure if that’s what you’re arguing for.

I don’t think anyone would argue that the FAI and its constituents shouldn’t be doing more, especially as the changed direction of English football necessitates a more self-sufficient approach.

* I’d argue that even with a big improvement in the league, senior internationals currently playing at home is still a long way off, but not underage internationals; I think more 2s is more feasible.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Surely players have more ambition than that.

Ya of course lads who can't get clubs qill have requests, but i am on about leagues at a similar level, playing and being paid a slightly better level, but Ireland would surely seem like a nice place to move to for a lad playing out in latvia for example. It just has to be sold properly.

I definitely think there is something there if they went about it the right way, again the money might not be available to have someone keeping a close eye on these leagues or at least keeping an active interest. Eu free movement of people should make things a lot easier also.
    In the past the FAI has lobbied the DFA to be lenient towards work permits for non-EU players, in order for the LOI to become a non-EU stepping stone league, much like Belgium is for African players and Iberia is for LatAm players. There's potential for money in that model, also potential for money-laundering and crooks to exploit it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    I think EL clubs missed out on this option when the money was there a few years ago. When there was good full time contracts on the table they were going Irish guys who dropped out of the leagues across channel, often because they were not good enough or committed enough. Pats did bring a few overseas players in fairness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    According to Rob Brennan, who's usually clued up on these matters, Noel King has made enquiries with Brentford's Jack O'Connell: https://twitter.com/RobBrennan82/sta...04938792620033
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,645 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I agree that we should be optimising all the domestic inputs. This applies to the League, underage football, coach development and recruitment, facilities, workings of the FAI etc.

And while I’d roughly agree with what type of representation across your 4 categories might represent “success”* I think quotas are always dangerous, with unintended consequences. I’m not sure if that’s what you’re arguing for.

I don’t think anyone would argue that the FAI and its constituents shouldn’t be doing more, especially as the changed direction of English football necessitates a more self-sufficient approach.

* I’d argue that even with a big improvement in the league, senior internationals currently playing at home is still a long way off, but not underage internationals; I think more 2s is more feasible.
    On the last point you wont get any argument from me. This is not a quick fix but it should be our goal and our strategies should be aiming for a viable domestic product that produces good quality international options.

On the "quotas", I think you picked me up incorrectly. I think that those types of ratios would represent a successful and balanced model and indicate that we are maximising all of our player acquisition options. Quotas would likely be counterproductive. And I actually state the same in my opening paragraph. Your post talked about [insert random percentage] or bulk/majority. I think that even goes too close to quotas or minimums.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Jack O'Connell, said to be a target of Ireland management*, has just signed a three-year deal with League One team Sheffield United.

*Rob Brennan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    QPR's Grant Hall says he's eligible, but stops short of saying he wants to be called up: http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport...n-qpr-11591530

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    QPR's Grant Hall says he's eligible, but stops short of saying he wants to be called up: http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport...n-qpr-11591530
    I do not get the impression that he would not accept a call up from us if he was asked. In any case is he any good?
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    he was player of the season last season at QPR. Genuinely don't know anything more about him than that

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    He dreams of playing for his country. And he's also eligible for us.

Every boy’s dream is to play for their country.

“I’m also eligible for the Republic of Ireland as my grandparents are Irish.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Hi Guys,

Yearly review on him can be found here: http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/footbal...0%93-defenders
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Almost 25 and he has just over 50 career Championship appearances. Doesn't inspire much confidence that he is the answer to our problems.

I would bring John Egan through before this lad.*

*I know what the response to this is.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Jack O'Connell, said to be a target of Ireland management*, has just signed a three-year deal with League One team Sheffield United.

*Rob Brennan
    He didn't make it at Brentford and has dropped a division to the Blades. I'd hold back on the target practice just for the moment.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,708 Posts
    John Egan all the way for me.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Hall, O Connell and Egan offer new options to the senior squad. At this stage, we are only sure of Egan. Let's not turn this into an allegiance or commitment debate as one poster on here is starting to try and do.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Hall, O Connell and Egan offer new options to the senior squad. At this stage, we are only sure of Egan. Let's not turn this into an allegiance or commitment debate as one poster on here is starting to try and do.
    That's uncalled for. Stutts has done no such thing.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,708 Posts
    I'm quite excited by Egan based on anything I've read about him, that's all.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Agree with gastric, Let's not meander into another allegiance debate, we need more quality options at centre back and all options should be considered.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I haven't made any comments about his "allegiance" or "commitment". I simply quoted what the player himself said.

Which I think says it all in a nutshell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    not everything is about you
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

26. Thanks From: