Results 2,761 to 2,780 of 5124

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Don't know if He's had a mention here before but a decent performance from Daryl Murphy for Newcastle against Man U over the weekend. He has a brother at Norwich who also qualifies for us. We could certainly do with a premier leaguer on the right of midfield if he could be brought on board.
    You mean Josh ? Don't think those lads qualify for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    He doesn't say anything about anything even remotely Irish on his twitter feed, that's for sure. Why does he list his location as Upper East Side, NY?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Don't know if He's had a mention here before but a decent performance from Daryl Murphy for Newcastle against Man U over the weekend. He has a brother at Norwich who also qualifies for us. We could certainly do with a premier leaguer on the right of midfield if he could be brought on board.
    Jacob and Josh Murphy? Where did you hear they were eligible?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich...orts-1-4706502

“We’ve heard the rumours and speculation about it but I don’t think we’ve got any Irish in us,”
    Case closed.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Bachelors monthly, of course.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    This lad played for St Francis before rotherham wonder is he eligible for us? https://www.google.ie/amp/www.bbc.co...tball/42054244

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    This is what i found. I did a google search for him based on little more than his surname. Quite possible the Mail have put the story together based on the same, or that someone in the FAI looked into their background for the same reason.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...onalities.html

If there is anything there though he certainly plays in a problem position for us.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    This is what i found. I did a google search for him based on little more than his surname. Quite possible the Mail have put the story together based on the same, or that someone in the FAI looked into their background for the same reason.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...onalities.html

If there is anything there though he certainly plays in a problem position for us.
    I am sure I read that the name Murphy comes from their stepdad and he confirmed the boys had no direct Irish connection. Happy to be wrong!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Seems Chedioze Ogbene of Limerick is in the UK this week, trial at Chelsea no less. Nigerian born, Irish raised, indicated Nigeria might edge it for him but let the battle commence says I.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Seems Chedioze Ogbene of Limerick is in the UK this week, trial at Chelsea no less. Nigerian born, Irish raised, indicated Nigeria might edge it for him but let the battle commence says I.
    Anyone know why Cork City let him go? I only saw him when he came on for the 2016 FAI Cup and was impressed by him. While he did tend to get forced off the ball a little too easily (he was only 18 at the time), he was fast, whipped in a couple of good crosses and found space in the box near the end of the 90 and forced a good save from Gary Rogers.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    They didn't let him go. He was out of contract and chose to take Limerick's offer instead. And while he could have won a league with Cork, he's been the central player in a Premier Division team which likely wouldn't have happened had he stayed put, so presumably he feels it was worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Jaysis, fair play to him. Hope it works out for him. That'd be a big move for a player coming from the LOI. I guess Limerick have little hope of holding on to him then?

I assume Ogbene is an Irish national as he has resided in Ireland for over twelve years, but I'm pretty sure the FAI would still have to seek the granting of an exemption from a strict application of article 7(d) by FIFA's Players' Status Committee in order to have Ogbene available for Irish international selection before the age of 23.

Considering Ogbene's potential and the fact he has stated that Nigeria would be his preference, is it surprising that Nigeria haven't already been in touch with him? You'd have to assume they are aware of him.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Much like ourselves, I believe the Nigerians don't pay attention to players unless they're in a big league like England.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Anyone know why Cork City let him go? I only saw him when he came on for the 2016 FAI Cup and was impressed by him. While he did tend to get forced off the ball a little too easily (he was only 18 at the time), he was fast, whipped in a couple of good crosses and found space in the box near the end of the 90 and forced a good save from Gary Rogers.
    He wasn't guaranteed first-team football at Cork. Limerick on the other hand could offer him what he wanted, so he opted to move. He explains his decision in this article: https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...-on-the-bench/

Quote Originally Posted by Chiedozie Ogbene
    I was different from everyone else, I was eager and didn’t want to settle for coming on, I felt I deserved to play. I was willing to do anything to get game time, if it is moving to Limerick, I’m willing to do that. Some players stayed, you wait but I couldn’t do it. You reach the age like 19, 20 and 21 and you need game time. I would have done a bit of research as well on how long it would take young players to break into the first team. It’s never easy.

What young players do nowadays, while they’re playing well, they want to maintain it. It’s not good to stay on the bench for the whole year or half a season. You lose momentum. I know it’s hard to leave your previous club but these are the changes, these are the sacrifices you have to make. My ambition is to get to the next level and these are the changes you need to make to get there.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Villa are now chasing Ogbene: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...ne-463727.html

Quote Originally Posted by John Fallon and Liam Mackey
    The 20-year-old striker spent a number of weeks on trial at various English clubs such as Chelsea since the League of Ireland campaign finished in October and may soon be on his way permanently. Villa’s interest is concrete and they are poised to table a bid to Limerick, who have the powerhouse under contract for another year.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    what kind of money will he go for? Record for the league?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    We watch with interest liamoo, there's men in Limerick presently who speak of little else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I read here that it's expected to be in the region of "100k". Not sure whether that's euro or sterling, although there isn't a huge deal of difference these days.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    happy days delighted for Limerick nice bit of business. Hopefully the lads does great

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Just saw Sean Raggett nabbed a goal in the EFL trophy for Lincoln. He's there on loan from Norwich (who signed him from Lincoln).

Think someone mentioned he was qualified for us. Had a quick look at his Twitter: https://twitter.com/SeanRaggett/stat...783980032?s=17
    https://twitter.com/SeanRaggett/stat...355056128?s=17

Looks like he is qualified. Will see how that pans out.