50 Posts
    https://www.socceramerica.com/articl...wednesday.html

Says here his Irish citizenship enabled the move to Wednesday
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Michael Keane is expected to make his senior debut for England against Germany tonight: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39275693

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    England manager Gareth Southgate is expected to experiment with a three-man defensive system and give Burnley's Michael Keane his debut in Wednesday's friendly with Germany in Dortmund.

Keane, 24, is set to start alongside captain Gary Cahill and Chris Smalling, with John Stones set to return for Sunday's home World Cup qualifier with Lithuania when Cahill is suspended.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    What happened if anything with Scott Hogan ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunners View Post
    What happened if anything with Scott Hogan ?
    He got injured playing for Villa. Was not named in Ireland squad because of that (prognosis was four to six weeks out at the time).
    Then he came back to Villa team early (last Saturday) which was a bonus for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    He got injured playing for Villa. Was not named in Ireland squad because of that (prognosis was four to six weeks out at the time).
    Then he came back to Villa team early (last Saturday) which was a bonus for them.
    ....and scored. There is still no indication from him that he wants to play for us though.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Michael Keane is expected to make his senior debut for England against Germany tonight: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39275693
    Nathan Redmond on now as well.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quick question. I'm I right in saying that Michael keane and Jack grealish, while neither have a senior competitive cap for England they are both now ineligible for Ireland, as they have officially changed association, which I believe you are only allowed do once?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Quick question. I'm I right in saying that Michael keane and Jack grealish, while neither have a senior competitive cap for England they are both now ineligible for Ireland, as they have officially changed association, which I believe you are only allowed do once?
    Yes. They are both now ineligible and confined to the history books of the nearly never Irish men.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Thanks for the confirmation.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Quote M Keane - "When I got a call saying they wanted me I did not think twice. I was thankful to Ireland to play but England was my country. There was never any doubt."

I'd say there must of been some doubt while he was playing for us at under age, and now talking like he has made it. Not convinced myself, maybe he'll be very good, but right now just looks another average English centre back to me. Be ironic if the twin brother, Will, after coming up through the English underage system ended up dclaring for Ireland, and obviously he'll have never had any doubts abotu it either :-)

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Callum Robinson, who's wiki page now says he is ROI eligible, hit two tonight for Preston taking him onto ten for the season. He also won the penalty McGeady scored from, he also has four assists. Jutkiewicz has eleven with one assist, Hogan has fifteen and two.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Given the by now alarmimg need for greater depth to our striker options, it is of the utmost importance that O Neill/ Keane make every effort to recruit Robinson and Jutkiewicz. The calls for Seanie Maguire are a little premature as of yet. Jon Walters and Daryl Murphy are not getting any younger while David McGoldrick is injury prone, Kevin Doyle is playing in a sub standard league and his best days are behind him. This leaves Cillian Sheridan, Adam Rooney and Joe Mason as the only alternative options up front. We need the likes of Robinson and Jutkiewicz to be brought on board ASAP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph 1 View Post
    Given the by now alarmimg need for greater depth to our striker options, it is of the utmost importance that O Neill/ Keane make every effort to recruit Robinson and Jutkiewicz.
    I agree that the FAI would really want to step up with the recruitment. Who have they recruited in MON's time anyway? Christie was the only one out of the blue and McGoldrick did all the work himself. That's a very poor return really. It seems to me that MON doesn't care though. He is a manager that lives in the now and doesn't care too much for the future. He will probably leave it up to the next manager to have to do all the recruitment.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 05/04/2017 at 1:50 PM.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Maybe they, (MONROY) are having conversations with these lads ? Redmond, Bamford & Hogan have all been publicly mentioned by the manager, haven't they. Maybe after the one who has now lost his place to Hourihane at Villa, can't recall his name, and the very public defeat on that front the FAI suffered there is a preference to do this on the low low till there is something to actually say. Also, these lads like Noble and O'Hara while being credibly able to represent two countries just don't feel that way, I mean I have two close friends with an English parent each but Irish born and raised but they have no sense of being English at all, in no circumstances would they ever have represented England, and there is nothing you can do to change that if that's the mindset you encounter upon speaking to these players. Its fine to say we should be recruiting, but it is no longer the time of St Patrick where we can row over and round up one or two.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Given the by now alarmimg need for greater depth to our striker options, it is of the utmost importance that O Neill/ Keane make every effort to recruit Robinson and Jutkiewicz. The calls for Seanie Maguire are a little premature as of yet. Jon Walters and Daryl Murphy are not getting any younger while David McGoldrick is injury prone, Kevin Doyle is playing in a sub standard league and his best days are behind him. This leaves Cillian Sheridan, Adam Rooney and Joe Mason as the only alternative options up front. We need the likes of Robinson and Jutkiewicz to be brought on board ASAP.
    Out of interest, why do you think calls for Maguire are premature?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I would venture that Scott Hogan situation will be put to bed before the next friendly ie he is not coming onboard, I feel they wont have successfully recruited Callum Robison by then, but Lukas Jut. will be brought in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    I agree that the FAI would really want to step up with the recruitment.
    I noticed today that the IFA are on a public recruitment-drive in Derry with a specific focus on 10-14 year olds (despite the fact that Michael O'Neill and his association are always moaning about the FAI allegedly running something akin to an "aggressive policy targeting vulnerable youngsters"):

I spotted the poster in JD Sports in the Richmond Centre and there were similar posters positioned on/over the security-tag censors/alarms at the entrance to the store.

Maybe it's something of which the FAI could take stock and consider doing in the north too or in areas of Britain (or beyond even) with significant Irish populations, Irish heritage centres, Irish sports clubs and the like?

I actually think someone like Clinton Morrison (if he was willing and the FAI were willing to get him involved) could do a great job selling the notion of playing for Ireland to third-generation Irish youngsters in Britain who maybe had/have an Irish grandparent or two, but whose upbringing may not otherwise have been steeped in all things considered traditionally or conventionally Irish either. He's spoken in the past of having been anxious about whether or not he would be accepted when he first made his decision to declare for us (probably because he didn't experience a particularly Irish upbringing in Tooting, would also have had strong Caribbean influences in his life and so may have felt he was kind of crossing into as-of-then unexplored territory culturally), but the fans embraced him. He clearly loved playing for Ireland, felt welcomed and now has a real emotional connection to the country, as well as to Irish football still. He's often back for games (including League of Ireland matches), appears on RTÉ's 'Soccer Republic' and so forth.

Clinton's reality, experience or example would probably resonate more with third-generation youngsters who may not have been in touch (or put in touch by their parents) with their Irish roots growing up than the experience of someone like, say, Kevin Kilbane who had two Irish parents and whose upbringing was very much Irish. I'm not sure whether Kilbane would ever really have feared whether or not he'd be accepted by the Irish fans and footballing fraternity when he was first lining out for us, but Clinton, by reference to his own positive experience, could reassure youngsters who may harbour such fears or anxieties that there'd be absolutely nothing to worry about (just so long as they pass Stutts' gut-test, of course!).

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I feel like that Lady is up to something with that ladder.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Nigel,I just Think that it would be a real shame if Seanie Maguire was immediately seen as the answer to all our prayers, A call up now would bring incredible media hype and his every move would be forensically examined. Think it best for Seanie to have an amazing season with Cork City in the LOI and Europe. He would then I feel be more ready for a Senior call up.On another note would the reintroduction of B internationals help players such as Maguire and many others make the transition from U 21 to Senior level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Nigel,I just Think that it would be a real shame if Seanie Maguire was immediately seen as the answer to all our prayers, A call up now would bring incredible media hype and his every move would be forensically examined. Think it best for Seanie to have an amazing season with Cork City in the LOI and Europe. He would then I feel be more ready for a Senior call up.On another note would the reintroduction of B internationals help players such as Maguire and many others make the transition from U 21 to Senior level.
    Forgive me, but I don't get your point here at all.

Nobody has suggested in any way that Maguire is immediately the answer to all our prayers.

A call up would inevitably bring hype in terms of a League of Ireland player being called up, but absolutely nobody would be hyping him up to such an extent that he'll be expected to score a load of goals, or even start a game to a lesser extent.

Seanie is just off an amazing season with Cork City and in Europe.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.